Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AQ9xxx-xx

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-10, 03:05

We had a discussion Yesterday. 4 persons/3 different opinions. What is best play with:
AQ9xxx-xx
One said A first, one small to Q and I said small to 9. (Small to 9 better if LHO play small from KJTx)
I verified it in suitplay and small to 9 seems best.
But if I force LHO in suitplay to play small from KJTx then suitplay says that this is not best defense. So suitplay assumes that LHO will never play small from KJTx? Why is small to 9 then best play?

This is complete hand for play in 4H (I'm not sure about the bidding):
Pairs/MPs

Pairs; North leads 7.

#2 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-10, 03:29

Small to the 9 gains a trick when LHO has J10x.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-May-10, 03:38

As LHO you mean the person before the long suit i.e. South here?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-May-10, 04:39

gwnn, on 2015-May-10, 03:38, said:

As LHO you mean the person before the long suit i.e. South here?

Yes, the same player as kgr called "LHO" in his original post. That was just an answer about how to play the suit combination.
On the actual hand I wouldn't do that, because it risks a trump promotion.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#5 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-May-10, 05:15

gnasher, on 2015-May-10, 04:39, said:

Yes, the same player as kgr called "LHO" in his original post. That was just an answer about how to play the suit combination.

Yes sorry, I was trying to clarify the OP mainly. Interesting suit combination.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#6 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-10, 05:53

gnasher, on 2015-May-10, 04:39, said:

Thanks!
You mean: Trump promotion if North started with doubleton C and f.i. J8?
North had:

It wins here to play A and small; OR 9 and A. But neither of these plays should be found I think?

#7 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-10, 13:32

This might be an interesting suit combination for GIB.

Holding AQ9xxx opposite xx, the best line is to play low to the nine and then low to the queen. Of positions it's possible to pick up for one loser, this fails only against KJ/KT offside.

Playing the ace first is inferior, as you will end up losing to Kx and JT offside (assuming you lead to nine next if an honor falls, and to queen next if not, which is best). However, double dummy it can never cost to play the ace first! Will GIB get this wrong?

Another interesting thing is, suppose you start low to nine and it loses to the ten or jack. Then you lead towards the long hand again and see a small card. The only relevant positions are Jxx, Txx, Kxx in front of the long hand. If opponents would always play two low cards on all these holdings, it is better to play ace now (Jxx/Txx twice as likely as Kxx). But the best defense is to play an honor on the second round with Jxx/Txx, so against expert defense you should play to the queen! Again, it is interesting whether GIB gets this right, and also what the right play is at the table against less than expert defense.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-10, 14:37

awm, on 2015-May-10, 13:32, said:

Another interesting thing is, suppose you start low to nine and it loses to the ten or jack. Then you lead towards the long hand again and see a small card. The only relevant positions are Jxx, Txx, Kxx in front of the long hand. If opponents would always play two low cards on all these holdings, it is better to play ace now (Jxx/Txx twice as likely as Kxx). But the best defense is to play an honor on the second round with Jxx/Txx, so against expert defense you should play to the queen! Again, it is interesting whether GIB gets this right, and also what the right play is at the table against less than expert defense.

No

Why is Jxx/Txx is twice as likely when T or J was already played previous round? I am not even mentioning 1 extra undertrick.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-May-10, 14:54

MrAce, on 2015-May-10, 14:37, said:

Why is Jxx/Txx is twice as likely when T or J was already played previous round?

Because it's a restricted choice situation. Or, more intuitively, because the J and 10 are equivalent.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-10, 16:58

gnasher, on 2015-May-10, 14:54, said:

Because it's a restricted choice situation. Or, more intuitively, because the J and 10 are equivalent.

I can see the restricted choice. I just can't see the "twice as likely" odds for playing A which I disagreed.

KJ84-T = You are going extra down %2.83
K84-JT = You are going down % 3.39
J84- KT =You are making %3.39
84-KJT = wash %3.39

It is a MP event and we are playing game with adequate values. What am i missing?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   nate_m 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-May-10, 19:53

MrAce, on 2015-May-10, 16:58, said:

I can see the restricted choice. I just can't see the "twice as likely" odds for playing A which I disagreed.

KJ84-T = You are going extra down %2.83
KJ8-JT = You are going down % 3.39
J84- KT =You are making %3.39
84-KJT = wash %3.39

It is a MP event and we are playing game with adequate values. What am i missing?

Your statement indicates that you don't see the restricted choice. Your argument is essentially the same as somebody who says "I have Axxx vs K10xxx and see the J fall, hooking wins vs. J and rising wins vs. QJ, why anything to do with the Q relevant?" Of course, if you hook every time you see an honor, you win vs. Q, J, and only lose to QJ, and that must be taken into account.

After low to the 9 and J/10, you cannot pick up 4-1 splits but rising ace wins vs. KJ and K10 offside, losing only to J10 offside. That's "twice as likely." You do lose an extra undertrick on the 4-1 splits, so it's not quite 2 to 1. This all assumes the opponents never find high from 10xx or Jxx. All this was ofc already noted by mikeh above.

#12 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-11, 12:05

nate_m, on 2015-May-10, 19:53, said:

Your statement indicates that you don't see the restricted choice. Your argument is essentially the same as somebody who says "I have Axxx vs K10xxx and see the J fall, hooking wins vs. J and rising wins vs. QJ, why anything to do with the Q relevant?" Of course, if you hook every time you see an honor, you win vs. Q, J, and only lose to QJ, and that must be taken into account.

After low to the 9 and J/10, you cannot pick up 4-1 splits but rising ace wins vs. KJ and K10 offside, losing only to J10 offside. That's "twice as likely." You do lose an extra undertrick on the 4-1 splits, so it's not quite 2 to 1. This all assumes the opponents never find high from 10xx or Jxx. All this was ofc already noted by mikeh above.

I know exactly what it is. N could take 9 with J or T from JT, while he will take with only T from KT.
I just don't put my money on restricted choice as much as Adam on this one. At least you acknowledged and did not totally ignore the possibility of undertricks in a MP game when we expect most people to be in it.
It was not MikeH btw.
Restricted choice assumes that people take 9 with either J or T randomly. In real life this is not even remotely true. I can bet that at least % 75 will take it with J. While in a bad field I expect it to be the opposite. I can not support this with a scientific data of course. I wish there was a tool in BBO in which we can search JT doubletons in defense and see what do people usually win with and who they are.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users