BBO Discussion Forums: another 5 level choice - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

another 5 level choice

Poll: another 5 level choice (40 member(s) have cast votes)

your call?

1. pass (4 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. double (9 votes [22.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.50%

3. 5S (27 votes [67.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 67.50%

4. other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   jodepp 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-09, 05:42

IMO this is simply a question of 'does partner's 4 set a game force?' Personally I don't think it does; partner could have established ownership with, for example, a heart cuebid. Of course if a pair wanted to define this sequence as GF that's fine, but for me 4 is more 'tricks' than 'power' and therefore does not set a game force.

I'm bidding 5 because if partner bid 4 with such obviously weak trumps, partner must have a distributional oddball. I wouldn't expect many spade tricks to cash so beating 5 looks very iffy.

#22 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-09, 06:36

View Postbillw55, on 2015-May-08, 09:07, said:

IMP pairs, none vul. You have fine playing strength, but also some defense. How do you proceed? If you pass, do you consider it forcing? Do you agree with the previous call 2?

If you need/want to know about the other players, then:

Spoiler

I bid 5S. (I don't consider Pass forcing and I agree with 2S, albeit I am maximum for this bid.) And I expect to make.

With AKJx support and partner freely jumping to 4S (which surely had been bid to make), we can hardly have a spade loser. Partner will have at most one heart on this auction. It is reasonable to expect that with controls in both minors, partner will not lose more than one other trick. Where are his values? They have to be in the minors. It would be very unlucky to go down.

#23 User is offline   dave_beer 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-09, 06:51

(1) I would pass; my 2nd choice would be double; I would never bid 5.
(2) Pass is not forcing. Partner presumably had some way to invite me back into the auction and chose not to do so,
(3) I would have bid 3 instead of 2. I think the hand is on the border between 2 and 3 and I bid 3 because I have good trumps and I believe that the partner with good trumps should make the aggressive choice in borderline situations.

#24 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-09, 06:59

View Postwyman, on 2015-May-08, 10:32, said:

You've way more experience than I in these spots Mike, but won't partner bid 5 spades with Qxxxx void Kxxxx xxx? I'm just now returning after a bit of a hiatus, but can't partner just have a good invite here? I don't think he's forced to bid 4-other with a hand without SI, right?

I don't think partner can have that hand. You have to bid show 5 card diamond support to an honor and reveal the double fit (by bidding diamonds) rather than 4S with that, otherwise you will never position partner to know what to do if they do bid 5H.

#25 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-May-09, 08:02

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-May-09, 05:37, said:

I'm pretty sure I would double, but I am far from sure I am right.

Double in haste Repent at leisure I certainly have,more than once
in situations like this. As often as not one opponent turns up with
a void in our suit. The fact the opponents have competed to the 5 level shows
they don't fear a lead. Best to defend and hope declarer has 3 losers.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#26 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-09, 11:34

Double is beyond my comprehension. Can't partner easily be, Q-7th and void in the majors with any hand? How are we expecting to beat this? It just seems like a huge gamble that partner helps in clubs, or has a heart, neither of which I see any reason to believe.

I mean, if they ruffed a spade lead and claimed 6 would we be shocked? I wouldn't.

I think 5 is just normal. Our spades are so good and hearts so bad that this feels right no matter what his reason for bidding 4 was.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#27 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-May-09, 11:56

I agree with Jdonn and was surprised as PhilKing's vote for a double.

#28 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-09, 12:39

Nv equal leave the five level yo opps their suits not litting wee.

#29 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-09, 12:44

Can i repeat that sry, leave 5level to opps their suits not splitting well, p could well be trying to bounce them so he could overide me with the weak and long spade hands mentioned above, well done Phil!

#30 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-09, 13:46

Sorry, I just don't give "random BBO experts" that much respect.

Also, my "random BBO expert" partner will remove my double WAY more often than I would expect a regular partner to do, which is perfect for this hand.

#31 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-09, 14:28

View Postjdonn, on 2015-May-09, 11:34, said:

Double is beyond my comprehension. Can't partner easily be, Q-7th and void in the majors with any hand? How are we expecting to beat this? It just seems like a huge gamble that partner helps in clubs, or has a heart, neither of which I see any reason to believe.

This is why perhaps I shd have passed rather than dbl. Q7th/6th + void + 5 goes undoubled in front of pd = obvious 5 by partner to me. I am not gonna bid his hand. A non forcing pass of course.
Fwiw, I do not believe there is anything unexpected in my hand that justifies bidding 5 while there are many things that are unclear about what pd may hold. I think the fact that we are not in pass out seat is being overlooked.

Otoh, I am aware that there are also other hands w/o partner holding 6/7th bidding 5 can be winner. But I still think in this hand the person who needs to step up and decide should be partner, but just like Phil said, I also overlooked to the fact that pd is a random BBO expert, which comes with a variety of all skill levels.

View Postbillw55, on 2015-May-08, 09:07, said:

Do you agree with the previous call 2?

I do.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#32 User is offline   krhorneman 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-May-09, 22:27

Pass is definitely not forcing, imo. Pard has to bid 4c/d/h to set up a forcing pass. As I've promised 4 card support, even 4d by partner is showing a good hand and setting up a force. Pard doesn't rate to have a great hand here, as he is obviously short in hearts with likely extra spade length, but didn't make any noise on the way to game. I think it's close between pass and 5s, but 100% I think pass is not forcing. Given the form of scoring, the upside/downside seems to favor bidding. I would not consider double. One of the opponents is almost certainly short in spades, and I have way too much wasted there. I would have bid 2S originally and wouldn't really think about 3S. I have four card support, minimal HCP, and not a good first suit. The singleton isn't enough, I need about a queen more.

#33 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-May-10, 03:44

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-May-09, 05:37, said:

I'm pretty sure I would double, but I am far from sure I am right.

Double in haste,repent at leisure as I have done on more than one
occasion and got a big fat bottom for my trouble. More often than not
one opponent(or both) turn up with a void in The fact the opponents
have competed to the 5 level clearly shows they do not fear a lead.
It's wise to desist and hope declarer has 3 losers.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#34 User is offline   crdshrk 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-May-10, 08:55

Partner went to 4S after the horrible 2S bid which severely undervalued the hand (first bid should have been a splinter of 4C, although I am ok with 2D also showing a limit raise+). So 5S should be a no brainer. Unless partner is a maniac, that terrible 2S bid probably cost a chance at slam.

#35 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2015-May-10, 09:02

What I'm seeing in this thread is that I should be expecting p to remove this X with poor hands way less frequently than I thought when I dbled.

Jdonn: I would have expected partner to pull for example with qxxxxxx and out, so while yes that's obviously a hand type he can hold, I didn't fail to dbl based on it.

Same, honestly with Mike's example 5053 4/5-count, on the theory that holding that hand, only I really know about my lack of defense and double fit, where partner has only partial info and should be expecting fewer spades and something more defensive (than zero defense) on average.

Based on partner not bidding 4D to help out the cause, I'd be expecting a shape more like 5035, and Qxxxx / void / Kxx / Axxxx makes more sense for a 4S bid than a random 4-count with that shape.

What this fails to do is thinking hard about hands the opps can hold, but I think some are consistent enough, e.g.,

x / KQJxx / x / KQJxxx and xxx/Axxx/QJxxx/x

Maybe both are a little more balanced since rho dbled instead of 2n but you get the idea.(and these seem like pretty much the nuts, I think they can hold worse cards/shape)
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#36 User is offline   krhorneman 

• Pip

Posted 2015-May-10, 11:18

View Postcrdshrk, on 2015-May-10, 08:55, said:

Partner went to 4S after the horrible 2S bid which severely undervalued the hand (first bid should have been a splinter of 4C, although I am ok with 2D also showing a limit raise+). So 5S should be a no brainer. Unless partner is a maniac, that terrible 2S bid probably cost a chance at slam.

I think maybe you misread the bidding. You opened the hand 1D, so no cue bid showing limit plus available.

#37 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-11, 05:22

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2015-May-09, 11:56, said:

I agree with Jdonn and was surprised as PhilKing's vote for a double.

Me too.

#38 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-11, 06:28

View Postwyman, on 2015-May-10, 09:02, said:

What I'm seeing in this thread is that I should be expecting p to remove this X with poor hands way less frequently than I thought when I dbled.

Jdonn: I would have expected partner to pull for example with qxxxxxx and out, so while yes that's obviously a hand type he can hold, I didn't fail to dbl based on it.

This was my line of thinking at the table: I have good defense - two aces and four trumps to the ten - so I double, relying on partner to pull with a preemptive type hand, and sit for it with some defense.

The full deal was:

Nobody appears to be insane.

My double somewhat fortunately produced +300, while 5 was making, so this was not a success, but not a disaster either. We were the only pair defending: 11 pairs played in 4, two in 5, and two went off in 5. Of the 13 pairs that played in spades, 8 made 11 tricks and 5 made 10 tricks. At both tables where 5 was bid, south doubled 5 directly and north pulled. Not sure what to make of all that, except maybe that the EW field was a little timid.

Overall it seems that bidding on is better.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users