• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Protective action? EBU

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-08, 06:05

Club teams-of-four (IMPs):

EW are playing Acol, weak NT. 1 showed 4+, 2 was a normal (not inverted) raise.

EW complained when North protected with 2 after a slow pass from partner. NS are experienced club players who normally play for the third county team-of-eight. I tried to poll some similar players at the end of the evening, but most of them had gone home. Both players I asked complained that they would have overcalled on the first round.

Do you think anyone would pass in this situation, and do you think the hesitation could demonstrably suggest bidding over passing?

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-May-08, 06:16

View PostVixTD, on 2015-May-08, 06:05, said:

Do you think anyone would pass in this situation, and do you think the hesitation could demonstrably suggest bidding over passing?

Does no one (seriously consider) double?
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 08:00

I think that the hesitation could demonstrably suggest bidding (or doubling) over passing. But I cannot see that passing would be an LA.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 08:35

View PostRMB1, on 2015-May-08, 06:16, said:

Does no one (seriously consider) double?

If the question were "Does no one except me seriously consider double?", the answer might well be "Yes".
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-08, 08:58

The problem with a poll may be finding players who wouldn't have overcalled 1 on the first round.

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-May-08, 09:30

View Postbarmar, on 2015-May-08, 08:58, said:

The problem with a poll may be finding players who wouldn't have overcalled 1 on the first round.

Not necessary, IMO. Those who would have overcalled 1S on the first round (of which I am not one), are strong evidence that 2S now has no L.A. Also, I see nothing in the laws requiring the pollees to all agree with North's previous action -- only that they be conversant with the partnership methods and experience level.

#7 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 09:46

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-May-08, 09:30, said:

Not necessary, IMO. Those who would have overcalled 1S on the first round (of which I am not one), are strong evidence that 2S now has no L.A. Also, I see nothing in the laws requiring the pollees to all agree with North's previous action -- only that they be conversant with the partnership methods and experience level.

Please explain your second sentence. Also, the laws don't say anything about polling at all.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 09:57

We have a rule: "They don't play 2-of-a-fit." We break it occasionally - "never" always means "almost never" in bridge - when we can justify to partner why pass was likely right (whether it was or not on this hand). "Demonstrably suggested", to use a relevant term.

Nothing on this hand makes me believe that pass is going to be right. In fact, the UI makes it more likely that we're both short in diamonds (4 diamonds is an obvious pass unless partner has much more strength than the 11 that is her expected maximum (strong NT RHO, 6-9 LHO, 8 me), so the pause means "should I balance-in-direct-seat?") So, pass is not an LA *for me*.

In fact, were my partner in this situation (I wouldn't be, I'd have overcalled 1; I can see her doing it, though), and asked to come up with my hand for the tank, she'd probably give something like (32)=2=AJTxxx with maybe a card, or even 3316 same hand, where "hmm, could 3 be 800 territory with a much safer landing in a major?"

But I know several players (who play invm, too! They just don't understand *why* they play invm) who let us play 2x all the time. So, I don't guarantee I'm this N/S peer.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#9 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 11:26

I really just wanted some assurance that pass was not a logical alternative. I didn't think it was and ruled that the score should stand. If NS accost me I can say I've asked a few more players. Thanks.

#10 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 11:40

View Postbarmar, on 2015-May-08, 08:58, said:

The overcall is a matter of style. With some of my partners I will overcall, with other (equally good) partners I won't.

The balancing action is a matter of life and death. If I'm alive I will balance, if I am dead I won't.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#11 User is offline   Manastorm 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-08, 11:57

I don't like this argument, but it reappears often in UI situations. If N was willing to defend 1, then surely he is more than willing to defend 2.
Therefore pass is a logical alternative.

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 12:19

View PostManastorm, on 2015-May-08, 11:57, said:

I don't like this argument, but it reappears often in UI situations. If N was willing to defend 1, then surely he is more than willing to defend 2.

I don't buy this argument. In particular, one's willingness to defend 1, or more likely lack of values to compete against it, has little to do with one's willingness or lack thereof to defend 2 in the passout seat.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-May-08, 12:40

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-May-08, 09:46, said:

Please explain your second sentence. Also, the laws don't say anything about polling at all.

You are saying the same thing I am. A logical alternative is one which ---of players with similar methods and experience --- some would consider it/actually choose it (percentages open to interpretation). We get these la's via polls (sometimes); but there is no requirement that people being polled are actually using the same methods or actually have the same experience.

We often get our poll group from players who have the capability of knowing the methods used and judging what players of a given level would do.

In this case, you would have to poll people who have no concept of balancing theory in order to get an alternative (pass); and I would refuse to call it logical.

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 13:27

So, if I pass in a situation where I am close to 100% certain that I will get another turn to bid, this pass suddenly means that I am willing to defend? And it must also mean that I am still willing to defend when the opponents have found a fit and stop in 2?

Some people use an initial pass to limit their hand. It gives them the freedom to take aggressive action later in the auction. No matter how aggressive they get, partner will not play them for values. If you play this style, the North hand isn't merely worth a balancing 2 bid, but at MPs (which this isn't I am aware) would even be worth a double if the opponents would go on to 3. The initial pass makes it clear to partner that you won't have close to an opening hand.

Rik

#15 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 13:34

FWIW I could imagine passing over 1, but if I did I would certainly protect.

#16 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-May-08, 16:20

This argument does appear often in UI situations. But not at the 1 level, and not in an uncontested auction. A "failure to overcall" of a 1 opener says nothing about "willing to defend"; after all, when was the last time you *did* defend a 1-of-a-suit contract? (I did, twice, Wednesday night, but the last time before that was a couple of months ago, and I can't recall the last session it's happened twice). We're still "boxed in system", where pass simply denies the kinds of hands that systemically overcall.

It's when we're competing up to the 3 or 5 level, and both sides have announced their fit suits, and there isn't anything else to "show" except "more ODR" or "more DOR" or "nothing more to say" that "after the tank says 'I want to do something', the fact that you weren't willing to go last time implies that the new information that makes you willing to do it this time is partner's tank."

The auctions are qualitatively different - the difference being "I'm willing to defend 1m if it looks like a misfit to partner" and "I'm not willing to defend two, *now that they've told us there's a fit*".
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#17 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-May-09, 04:35

What a load of Tottenham. North's pass over 1 did not say that "he was willing to defend 1". It just showed that he was in the Roth-Stone school of sound overcalls, and it had nothing to do with whether he would make the (automatic) 2 bid on the next round, showing a hand just short of a 1 overcall by his stringent standards.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users