• You cannot reply to this topic

The Punisher II

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-07, 18:04

My link

IMPs, ACBL robot individual

My 6 bid denied holding a King outside the suit. So, looking at Jxxxx, how exactly does the robot think we can avoid a loser in 7? Assuming I hold AQ, the grand will be on a hook at best (if I hold AQ10(x)) and will be a much worse proposition if I hold AQ tight or AQx.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-07, 18:45

It's really a shame that the GIB forum doesn't have subforums for frequently repeated issues: Cappelletti, RKC, pulling/leaving doubles, inappropriate cuebids, etc. That way, the developers could tackle a group of related reports together which is probably more effective/efficient than handling one report at a time.

#3 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-May-07, 21:50

Why did Gib even bid 5N? Apparently it doesn't need a King so why not just bid 7 over 4N KC response?
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#4 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 13:26

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-May-07, 21:50, said:

Why did Gib even bid 5N? Apparently it doesn't need a King so why not just bid 7 over 4N KC response?

This would fit right in with BBradley's excellent idea. It's well documented over several posts that GIB often bids 5NT for Kings, then does not know what to do with that information. I've seen at least 3 hands where once GIB's partner showed a side K, it could easily count 13 tricks, but it still signed off at 6.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-09, 01:39

It is not uncommon for 5NT "king ask" bidder to remain in doubt. That is a principle not confined to GIB. In addition to asking for Kings the bid has a consultative function. By confirming that all key cards are held and that there is grand slam interest, partner is invited to bid the grand (with or without showing Kings on the way) if partner can count to 13. Indeed on occasion it could be that virtually no King-showing response would clarify the position and yet 5N is appropriate in case partner can bid 7 based on knowledge that all key cards are held.

If, having bid 5N, the response allows 5N bidder to count to 13 but still declines, as does happen with GIB occasionally, then that is a bug. But the bug is not in bidding 5N.

Given GIB's tendency to leap to slam (sometimes grand) without using Blackwood (or alternative) despite that there is room to enquire, I am nervous about discouraging it from using the tool. Provided of course that it bids to the right level on response.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-09, 14:25

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-May-09, 01:39, said:

It is not uncommon for 5NT "king ask" bidder to remain in doubt. That is a principle not confined to GIB. In addition to asking for Kings the bid has a consultative function. By confirming that all key cards are held and that there is grand slam interest, partner is invited to bid the grand (with or without showing Kings on the way) if partner can count to 13. Indeed on occasion it could be that virtually no King-showing response would clarify the position and yet 5N is appropriate in case partner can bid 7 based on knowledge that all key cards are held.

If, having bid 5N, the response allows 5N bidder to count to 13 but still declines, as does happen with GIB occasionally, then that is a bug. But the bug is not in bidding 5N.

Given GIB's tendency to leap to slam (sometimes grand) without using Blackwood (or alternative) despite that there is room to enquire, I am nervous about discouraging it from using the tool. Provided of course that it bids to the right level on response.

I agree. I never suggested that GIB stop bidding 5NT, only that it be programmed to use the information gained appropriately.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users