BBO Discussion Forums: What is the textbook lead? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is the textbook lead?

Poll: What is the textbook lead? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you lead?

1. Ace of hearts (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

2. Heart pip (explain which) (6 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

3. Ace of diamonds (9 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

4. Queen of diamonds (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Diamond pip (explain which) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Ace of clubs (3 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

7. Club pip (explain which) (2 votes [9.52%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-May-07, 15:18

IMPs, KO match against very strong opponents

1C= natural or balanced outside the NT range
4NT = both minors (longer clubs) or a good 5H bid

What do you lead and why?

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-07, 15:38

I'll try A. I doubt the king will be in south's hand, and if P is something like 5-6 in the round suits, he might be 1-1 in the others, or 1507, 2506 etc. I don't want try the other suits first in case he's the latter and I blow an entry to my hand.

Underleading an ace is presumably the killer lead for some reason, but too subtle for me.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-May-07, 15:45

I'll try 2 of clubs to try and attract a diamond switch but honestly I have no idea, great problem Frances and congrats on your win!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#4 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-07, 15:56

Haven't seen this one in a textbook before. Have I been reading the wrong ones?
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-May-07, 17:10

FrancesHinden, on 2015-May-07, 15:18, said:

1C= natural or balanced outside the NT range
4NT = both minors (longer clubs) or a good 5H bid
What do you lead and why?
Congratulations, Frances! IMO 9 (suggesting values) = 10, A = 8, A = 6, A=5.

#6 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-07, 18:16

We might want to play a trump or possibly a diamond through next, so let's put partner in. Partner must have K and K, and probably K as well.

There's no reason to place declarer with a void anywhere, so let's assume he hasn't got one. There's every reason to place dummy with a singleton or void somewhere, so let's not lead that suit (if only we knew which) lest it facilitate ruffs in dummy.

So my answer is that we should underlead an ace to put partner in. We shouldn't underlead hearts in case dummy's short there. We shouldn't underlead clubs for the same reason. And we shouldn't underlead diamonds in case partner hasn't got the king.

By a process of elimination I'll lead a trump.

#7 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 00:07

It appears they will be trying to establish a long side suit in norths hand(presumably diamond judging my hand & bidding ) by xruffing to discard loosing clubs. So CA it is.

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 02:35

The textbook lead is a trump.

Unfortunately, we don't have any of those, but partner probably does. So let's get him in. I would try the 9. (I think the opponents are less likely to be void in hearts than in clubs.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#9 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-08, 07:09

What strikes me as remarkable is partner's bidding. We don't need anything like our hand for our double of the overcall, yet partner bid 4N and then committed to 7H when holding no Aces other than maybe the spade Ace.

It isn't easy to construct the hand. A hand that sprang to mind was Ax. KQxxx. Void. KQxxxx

On such a construction, cutting down ruffs won't help, because the opps are going to establish the diamond suit. We need to score our own ruff, and if partner is 3=4=0=6, two ruffs.

I am not saying that I am sure of anything here, but I will lead the unpopular Diamond A,. If nothing else, it is the suit in which the opps are least likely to be ruffling if they do need to embark on a cross-ruff, so if I am wrong in my construction,I may be able to switch. I think this is a big loser only if declarer had the K which seems against the odds.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 09:30

mikeh, would partner not have passed to suggest a possible 7NT contract if he had the spade A? I agree the hand might be similar otherwise. But then I would hate to lead DA and catch partner's singleton DK (or even DQ) :/

I'll back nige1 and Trinidad and try the H9 (second choice CA).

ahydra

#11 User is online   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-08, 09:54

ahydra, on 2015-May-08, 09:30, said:

mikeh, would partner not have passed to suggest a possible 7NT contract if he had the spade A? I agree the hand might be similar otherwise. But then I would hate to lead DA and catch partner's singleton DK (or even DQ) :/

I'll back nige1 and Trinidad and try the H9 (second choice CA).

ahydra

It would be a brave soul who suggested 7N with a diamond void....on the auction both opps are leading diamonds against 7N :P Yes, I know only one of them is allowed to.

Meanwhile I am worried about

Now, yes, we can make 7N. So if we are going to assume that 7N can't make, what about partner being Kx KQJxx void KQJxxx?

Now the heart 9 gets us only 1 defensive trick. The heart A gets us 2, and the diamond Ace gets us 3.

Edit: I think the key here is to consider partner's likely actions. How can he bid 7H with none of our Aces and a 4 card heart suit? How can he even bid 4N with that holding? I think it 90% or more that he has 5 hearts, which means at least 6 clubs. No way do the white v red opps hold 13 spades on this auction....even with a blah hand, with some 6322, north would surely do more than 4S at his first call, and at this heat, N might be looking at 7 of them opposite a 6 card pre-empt!

So partner has 'some' spades, and the most logical number consistent with all that we have seen is 2. That leaves partner with a diamond void.

I wasn't as confident when I first posted as I have become since. I now am strongly in favour of the diamond A lead. if I were nige1, I'd say diamond Ace 10, heart Ace 7, heart 9 5, anything else 3.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 11:36

mikeh, on 2015-May-08, 09:54, said:

Meanwhile I am worried about

Would you bid 3 with that South hand (at favorable vul, at IMPs)?

If my partner would bid 3, I would call the TD and tell him that my partner's 3 bid was insufficient. ;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 11:39

mikeh, on 2015-May-08, 07:09, said:

What strikes me as remarkable is partner's bidding. We don't need anything like our hand for our double of the overcall, yet partner bid 4N and then committed to 7H when holding no Aces other than maybe the spade Ace.

It isn't easy to construct the hand. A hand that sprang to mind was Ax. KQxxx. Void. KQxxxx

On such a construction, cutting down ruffs won't help, because the opps are going to establish the diamond suit. We need to score our own ruff, and if partner is 3=4=0=6, two ruffs.

I am not saying that I am sure of anything here, but I will lead the unpopular Diamond A,. If nothing else, it is the suit in which the opps are least likely to be ruffling if they do need to embark on a cross-ruff, so if I am wrong in my construction,I may be able to switch. I think this is a big loser only if declarer had the K which seems against the odds.

This was almost exactly what i was about to post about partner's holding. He did not even know I hold 5 card hearts. So he probably has 5 card hearts himself.

But my likely constructions are 2416 2506 3406. I put 2416 just incase pd may be bidding 7 with an anticipation of 7 save.. And/or when we bid 5, which shows obviously a grandslam interest in hearts, (with COS we could bid 5 NT I assume) then pd under pressure, may as well placed us with 3 key cards in order to justify 5. Can we really have less than 3 keys for this bid? In this context he may even have a Axx KQJT x KQJTx.

Trinidad, on 2015-May-08, 11:36, said:

I would.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is online   mikeh 

Posted 2015-May-08, 12:01

Trinidad, on 2015-May-08, 11:36, said:

If my partner would bid 3, I would call the TD and tell him that my partner's 3 bid was insufficient. ;)

Rik

Do you seriously think that I am trying to pinpoint the exact holdings for anybody? I am concerned about a family of hands, of which the one posted is an illustration. Maybe you would bid 4, frankly I don't care. Would some strong players bid only 3? I believe that the answer is a 'yes', but if you disagree, move one spade from S to North,and send a diamond back to S.

The point isn't about the opps cards...it is about partner's hand, and the optimal defence based on his holdings.

#15 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-May-08, 13:29

mikeh, on 2015-May-08, 07:09, said:

Arguments by Mikeh and Mr Ace persuade me that my earlier view was ill-thought
  • Partner is at least 56 in the round suits.
  • Partner is likely to be void in s.
  • Hence A is your best shot..

#16 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 13:32

If you think partner's got a diamond void, why not lead a low diamond? Declarer might have Kxx.

#17 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-May-08, 13:41

Don't you think Ax KQTxx - KQJ10xx is a bit good for a 4NT bid?

#18 User is online   mikeh 

Posted 2015-May-08, 13:50

FrancesHinden, on 2015-May-08, 13:41, said:

Don't you think Ax KQTxx - KQJ10xx is a bit good for a 4NT bid?

yes

which is why I also, albeit later, suggested Kx instead of Ax and I don't think Kx is too good, altho in fairness my view isn't very important...if E-W are an established partnership, their views are somewhat more relevant :D

Also take away the club Q (preserving the length) and maybe it is more reasonable.

Again, when putting up hands I don't imply that the exact hand is anything more than illustrative of my concerns. Here, the concern was about how to maximize the defence should partner be void in diamonds, which seems to me to be possible: I remain of the view that partner is very likely short, and that such shortness will often be a void.

Edit: In fairness, when I first posted I made the round suits KQxxx KQxxxx, and only made the clubs solid later, and that was an artefact of the hand editor filling in the club suit in the East hand after I casually made the suit 6=0=4=3, with the East hand going in last. Admittedly that hand with Ax void is still pretty hefty for 4N, but not (quite) as gross as making the clubs solid

#19 User is online   mikeh 

Posted 2015-May-08, 13:52

Aardv, on 2015-May-08, 13:32, said:

If you think partner's got a diamond void, why not lead a low diamond? Declarer might have Kxx.

why do we care?

We are assured of being able to give two ruffs after leading the A, so how can declarer holding Kxx be of any importance at all? Unless you think partner has multiple natural spade tricks? Which I don't.

Meanwhile, if partner has a small diamond, which we can't rule out, underleading the Ace is going to be sub-optimal.

#20 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 14:32

Partners 7H bid without the ace of hearts or the ace of clubs or the ace of diamonds is impossible without either the DK or a diamond void. Thus I lead a low diamond.

If partner has bid 7H with KQJ KQJ in the round suits and a stiff diamond after opening and then showing a good 5H bid, more power to him I guess.
The artist formerly known as jlall

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users