BBO Discussion Forums: Poll for Beginner / Intermediate only - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

Poll for Beginner / Intermediate only When Stayman is doubled

Poll: How to answer when Stayman is doubled (7 member(s) have cast votes)

You open 1NT (15-17) with KQx AJx KQJxx xx. Partner bids 2C stayman, which RHO doubles to suggest a club lead. What do you do?

1. I bid 2D because I ignore the double and it denies a 4 card major. (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

2. I bid 2D because I have good diamonds. (3 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. I pass because I don't have a club stopper. (1 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. Other (please explain in the comments) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-07, 08:59

Please do NOT answer the poll if you are advanced / expert (but feel free to participate in the discussion if you want to). That is not the perspective I am attempting to find out. Thanks
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-07, 09:19

Not engaging in the poll, we play:

P - suggestion to play in clubs maybe Q9xx or J8xxx (to taste whether you do this with 4 good clubs and a 4M, if you do, you need to play XX by responder as "I really want a Stayman response")
XX - strong suggestion to play in clubs perhaps KJ109 or Q10xxx
2 - no 4M, likely to hold diamonds but could be 333xxxx

So I bid 2

#3 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-May-07, 10:51

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-May-07, 09:19, said:

Not engaging in the poll, we play:

P - suggestion to play in clubs maybe Q9xx or J8xxx (to taste whether you do this with 4 good clubs and a 4M, if you do, you need to play XX by responder as "I really want a Stayman response")
XX - strong suggestion to play in clubs perhaps KJ109 or Q10xxx
2 - no 4M, likely to hold diamonds but could be 333xxxx

So I bid 2

I like this.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-May-07, 11:24

Jdonn said:

You open 1NT (15-17) with KQx AJx KQJxx xx. Partner bids 2C stayman, which RHO doubles to suggest a club lead. What do you do
After 1N (Pass)2(Double)??, IMO

• Pass = NAT. 4+ s, No 4-card M.
  • 2 = NAT. 4+ s, No 4-card M.
  • 2M = NAT. 4+ M.
  • Redouble = ART. Equal length in Ms (3-3 or 4-4). No stop.

Redouble to show good s seems dangerous. That redouble seems to fix partner, when he has say,
x x x x x x x x x x x x x

If redouble shows s, then partner's main choices seem to be:
  • Losing about 1000 in 2XX.
  • Settle for 3X to lose only about 800.

Admittedly, if you play a strong notrump, then the penalty might be less.

#5 User is offline   keithhus 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-07, 11:25

Redouble!,,

1. More points - obvious
2. No support for Cs
3. No support for majors - obvious
Partner would then bid D or NT with C stopper or pass .
Flying a kite but what do you think!

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2015-May-07, 12:16

View Postnige1, on 2015-May-07, 11:24, said:

After 1N (Pass)2(Double)??, IMO

• Pass = NAT. 4+ s, No 4-card M.
  • 2 = NAT. 4+ s, No 4-card M.
  • 2M = NAT. 4+ M.
  • Redouble = ART. Equal length in Ms (3-3 or 4-4).

Redouble to show good s seems dangerous. That redouble, seems to fix partner, when he has say,
x x x x x x x x x x x x x

If redouble shows s, then partner's main choices seem to be:
  • Losing about 1000 in 2XX.
  • Settle for 3X to lose only about 800.

Admittedly, if you play a strong notrump, then the penalty might be less.

I think bidding stayman with that hand is insane, but if you had something like 4441 0 count and partner redoubled to show good clubs, obviously you would pull to 2D and play the same fit you were always going to play anyway.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#7 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-07, 21:55

We play one of those half-clever ideas my partner likes so much. Opener redoubles with good clubs, ignores the double with a club stopper and passes without a stopper. Responder may pass but never will, redoubles to re-stayman with no stopper and bids "naturally" when we want to have a disaster (without peeking at the notes I don't remember if 2M is inv or shows garbage stayman). The idea is to rightside the contract against a club lead.

#8 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-07, 23:06

I think not being able to redouble to show good clubs is very poor. You take away the opponent's risk of doubling and stop yourself from getting lucky occasionally.

I've never discussed other continuations, but would expect that pass is a suggestion to play clubs and 2D is a catch-all denying a major.

Time to discuss it...

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-May-08, 00:57

Undiscussed I think pass is neutral, rdbl shows clubs and diamonds is diamonds. I don't think it matters much what level p has although some beginners may ignore the double.

If you want to rightside a suit contract it is better to play transfers but that means you have only two calls for the three non major hand types so maybe that is a bad idea. Otoh if you don't have weak hands with both majors in your stayman you could play:
Pass=four poor clubs or 3343
Rdbl=clubs
2d/h=transfer
2s=five diams, club stop
2n=diamonds, no club stop
If you play nonpromisory there will be too many hands to differentiate so it probably won't work.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-08, 01:47

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-May-08, 00:57, said:

If you play nonpromisory there will be too many hands to differentiate so it probably won't work.
Of course we do, to allow us to play four transfers.

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-08, 10:18

At the risk of digressing far from the poll topic, my current partner has a 'solution' which is a little (?) complex but seems to have some merit, altho I haven't played much yet.

His notion is that opener passes unless he has a club stopper. If he has a club stopper, he bids normally, with redouble showing 4+ decent clubs.

So assume opener passes, and it is back to responder:

Pass says we play here: we give up on the penalty redouble, which isn't much of a loss.

Redouble is sort of like repeat stayman, except that opener is to transfer to a major if he holds one. So 2 shows hearts, 2 shows spades, 2 shows 5+diamonds, and 2N shows none of the above.

Responder doesn't have to redouble or pass, of course. Responder can bid suits naturally.....2 would be pass or correct to spades, 2 is an offer to play 2.

In this partnership, we play 2 way stayman (more precisely, 2 is an artificial game force, with artificial responses) so the inferences would be different than if we played transfers. Thus with an invitational hand with a long major we might start with 2, altho some invites are shown by 3M immediately. Accordingly, if anyone is interested, I'd suggest giving some thought to what other calls mean by responder once the double is passed around.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-May-08, 10:36

I would be a little worried about passing with every hand without a club stopper. Especially when playing 2way so that responder can have all kinds of invitational hands. Next hand might well bid 3c.

Also I am not sure if it is good not to allow responder to redouble for business. 2cx is not game.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-08, 11:20

View PostAntrax, on 2015-May-08, 01:47, said:

Nonpromisory is such a bulky word. Can we just call it Leaky Stayman?
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#14 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-10, 03:46

Mikeh introduces transfers in response to the redouble re-stayman, which is a new idea for me and I like it. The rest of his post seems to be largely a repetition of a popular method expressed a few times in this thread: XX to show a stack, pass without a guard and bid with one.

I like this, except that I normally reverse the meaning of pass and X. We have a meta agreement that works in several competitive situations of which this is just one, where XX shows a stack, pass shows a guard and bid without.

The rationale being that if partner is at all inclined to pass out the hand in the doubled contract, he is more likely to have such a hand if he knows that partner has a guard in trumps opposite, than when lacking.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#15 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2015-May-10, 23:48

View PostAntrax, on 2015-May-08, 01:47, said:

You can play 4 suit transfers and prommisory stayman, e.g.:

2C: Stayman!
2D: Hearts
2H: SPades
2S: Clubs or range ask (bid 2N with a min, 3C with a max)
2N: Diamonds.

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-May-11, 00:53

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-May-10, 03:46, said:

We have a meta agreement that works in several competitive situations of which this is just one, where XX shows a stack, pass shows a guard and bid without.

The rationale being that if partner is at all inclined to pass out the hand in the doubled contract, he is more likely to have such a hand if he knows that partner has a guard in trumps opposite, than when lacking.

Also, it is better to make the nebulous pass when you have a guard so that lho is slightly less likely to raise.
But it is especially when you don't have a guard that you want responder to declare and if you play transfers immediately you are uncomfortable with 3343 and no guard. I suppose you could play 2S as this hand. Garbage stayman hands will either be able to pass or bid 3di.
But how often do you want to play 2c doubled? Most gs hands are short in clubs and if responder has game strength, 2cx isn't profitable enough. So I think it's only when responder has an invite and knows opener is min and doesn't have a major fit. But the nebulous pass doesn't give that information.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users