• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Misinformation - EBU

#1 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-May-06, 02:04

1NT = 12-14 Balanced<br>X alerted as 'wants me to bid 2D but could be major/minor 2 suited hand

Obviously X was for penalties (at least I intended it so) so passing 2D was a 100% action. So at the end of the auction I called for another Director - who offered West the bid back (declined). At the end of the evening the two of us discussed the hand and felt that 2S or 3S making for West were the only contracts available - and scored it 100% EW +140. However on the traveller were:-

5C-1 N
3C making N
3NT+1 N
3D* - W - 1
2D - W +1
5HX - W -6
4S - E -2

Bearing in mind what North thinks of the South hand, are there any alternatives that should have been considered. (2D by NS went 1-down after a mis-defence, but the defence was not IMHO so seriously bad as to deny redress.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-06, 02:15

Much depends on EW methods after 1NT-(X). West may simply bid his longest suit. Now 2 comes around to you... do you double for takeout? Now it gets messy. North may now decide that you have the majors and you may soon be putting down the dummy in a heart contract.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-06, 02:17

I assume there was actual misinformation (as opposed to you having forgotten the system). What are the EW methods over a penalty double? I don't see why, with EW having correct information, the auction wouldn't start 1NT x 2 p p. Now South might double, if this is for takeout. North still thinks double means whatever he said, so I'm not sure how he'd take a second double, but NS getting to a club contract looks plausible. (In fact North might bid clubs a round earlier -- if South has diamonds or major/minor, West has diamonds, East is balanced and you have AJx of diamonds, you can be pretty sure South actually has a major+clubs.)

#4 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-06, 04:12

2X making by West looks possible to me, depending on the North-South methods. But the traveller says that anything better than 110 is a top anyway.

#5 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-06, 06:58

I agree with the auction going 2D from West followed by two passes. If South doubles again, West might well bid 2S, which will get EW +140. I agree with Aardv that all roads lead to Rome, and EW are going to get a top, or maybe some percentage of a joint top in 2D+1.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users