Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

wastage?

#1 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2015-May-05, 13:45

rubber, no legs :)

The discussion I've had so far is on the relative merits of 5 vs 6, but all comments are welcome.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-05, 13:53

Is that diagram right - did east really pass first, then come in at 5?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-05, 14:02

It is correct. I almost altered the bidding so that the given hand was dealer, but I thought I'd accurately report the hand as bid.

This is an erratic home rubber-bridge game. Partner is not strong, so the nuances of the bidding from here on out will be lost on him, but I thought it was an interesting spot.

I reached out to a couple of my regular partners who bid 5D and 6C, so I brought the problem to the masses :)
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-05, 14:10

I am going to ignore the original pass by East, since it seems possible it was a typo, and even if it wasn't, I can't really draw a lot of inferences at this stage.

I suppose partner could hold x AQxx KQxx xxxx, in which case grand looks pretty good. Say they lead a club...A and ruff a spade, heart to hand, spade ruff, heart to hand, run trump....if RHO has the spade K and shortness, it ruffs out, and if LHO has the spade K, he is almost certainly squeezed in diamonds and spades.

So we need to probe for grand.

Bidding 5 won't get it done...we cue a black suit over 5, but which one? Wouldn't that suggest we are looking for 1st round in the other?

That's why my choice is 6. It is clearly a try for grand, yet if we had only a club control and one of but not both the diamond and spade Aces, we would have cuebid the one we hold, and then (hoped) to be able to cue clubs next time. Thus, so I like to think, we and partner can infer that bidding 6, a try for grand bypassing both diamonds and spades, must show all the side controls.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-05, 15:45

Starting with pass seems like a freebie, if partner does not X then I will bid 7 immediately (doesn't sound like he has much wasted in clubs!).

In the likely event he doubles, I can continue from there.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-05, 16:19

View Postwyman, on 2015-May-05, 14:02, said:

This is an erratic home rubber-bridge game. Partner is not strong, so the nuances of the bidding from here on out will be lost on him, but I thought it was an interesting spot.

Under these conditions I'm in for 6. I DO expect some club waste, bad splits or maybe a trump lead (but I doubt it). In similar games I've been in if East had solid clubs they would have passed again and come in just as we were putting our bidding cards away.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-05, 18:13

I expect East to be 7-4 in the black suits. You're not allowed to open 3 when you have a 4-card major, right?

#8 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-06, 13:26

#9 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-May-08, 13:38

View Postmikeh, on 2015-May-05, 14:10, said:

I am going to ignore the original pass by East, since it seems possible it was a typo, and even if it wasn't, I can't really draw a lot of inferences at this stage.

I suppose partner could hold x AQxx KQxx xxxx, in which case grand looks pretty good. Say they lead a club...A and ruff a spade, heart to hand, spade ruff, heart to hand, run trump....if RHO has the spade K and shortness, it ruffs out, and if LHO has the spade K, he is almost certainly squeezed in diamonds and spades.

So we need to probe for grand.

Bidding 5 won't get it done...we cue a black suit over 5, but which one? Wouldn't that suggest we are looking for 1st round in the other?

That's why my choice is 6. It is clearly a try for grand, yet if we had only a club control and one of but not both the diamond and spade Aces, we would have cuebid the one we hold, and then (hoped) to be able to cue clubs next time. Thus, so I like to think, we and partner can infer that bidding 6, a try for grand bypassing both diamonds and spades, must show all the side controls.

I think there's an added inference that North can take by looking at AQ. By bidding 6 , I think South also implies holding the K. I don't think South would force to slam on something like J9xxxx not knowing what the situation is.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users