Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A balancing situation ACBL

#1 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-04, 06:45

ACBL, Regional Swiss Teams (IMP scoring)

This is a UI problem but first, a bidding poll.

In balancing chair after LHO's 12-14 1NT, you overcall 2, natural by agreement. Partner's 2 advance is undiscussed.

What do you expect in partner's hand for this 2 call? Is 2 forcing?

What call do you make, and what other calls do you consider?
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-May-04, 07:56

View PostCoelacanth, on 2015-May-04, 06:45, said:

ACBL, Regional Swiss Teams (IMP scoring)

This is a UI problem but first, a bidding poll.

In balancing chair after LHO's 12-14 1NT, you overcall 2, natural by agreement. Partner's 2 advance is undiscussed.

What do you expect in partner's hand for this 2 call? Is 2 forcing?

What call do you make, and what other calls do you consider?

I expect that partner has a game invite in hearts with spade values.

AQJ72
QJ2

or some such seems about right

Two Spades is not forcing

I would bid 3

I would consider 3 and 4
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 09:05

Some invitational or better hand with five spades.

Yes, it's forcing.

I bid 3 (also forcing, I hope). I wouldn't seriously consider any other action.

And thanks for adding to my list of situations where one should play transfers.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-May-04, 10:01

Not sure what partner has (this may depend on what his overcalls would have meant), but I think he has some values and with a hand like mine I must bid again, 3 would be my choice without any other LA (not necessarily forcing given my failure to double if that would have been for pens). Btw did I have a 2m bid available to show hearts and another or not ?

#5 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 10:04

View Posthrothgar, on 2015-May-04, 07:56, said:

View Postgnasher, on 2015-May-04, 09:05, said:

I don't play much against weak NTs, and I also realize I didn't list the vulnerability. Let's say you are NV vs vul.

I'm wondering about what kind of invitational hand with spades would fail to overcall 2 directly over 1NT. I would think that the given south hand is a maximum for the 2 call; any bigger hand would start with a double. Thus, for north to be inviting, he probably needs near-opening values. But again, this is probably just my unfamiliarity with tactics vs. a weak NT.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things; more, I cannot say.

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 10:10

View Posthrothgar, on 2015-May-04, 07:56, said:

View Postgnasher, on 2015-May-04, 09:05, said:

Interesting. I am curious. In this case, how will partner bid a weak hand with six spades and zero or one heart? Say, QJTxxx x xxx xxx, or similar hands? Has he no way to simply seek a better partscore?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-May-04, 10:19

View PostCoelacanth, on 2015-May-04, 10:04, said:

I don't play much against weak NTs, and I also realize I didn't list the vulnerability. Let's say you are NV vs vul.

I'm wondering about what kind of invitational hand with spades would fail to overcall 2 directly over 1NT. I would think that the given south hand is a maximum for the 2 call; any bigger hand would start with a double. Thus, for north to be inviting, he probably needs near-opening values. But again, this is probably just my unfamiliarity with tactics vs. a weak NT.

You seem to have answered your own question. Yes, I'd expect North to have about opening values. He'll probably have only five spades, because he didn't overcall. For the same reason some other hands may be excluded, depending on what your methods are in the direct seat.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 10:23

View Postbillw55, on 2015-May-04, 10:10, said:

Interesting. I am curious. In this case, how will partner bid a weak hand with six spades and zero or one heart? Say, QJTxxx x xxx xxx, or similar hands? Has he no way to simply seek a better partscore?

This is the hand I pictured when first presented the problem. One of the reasons I posted it was to see what other constructions people could come up with.
Brian Weikle

#9 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-May-04, 11:00

View Postbillw55, on 2015-May-04, 10:10, said:

He doesn't
Alderaan delenda est

#10 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 12:58

You've probably already worked out what the issue is.

The 2 call was alerted and explained as DONT, showing hearts and spades. (This pair plays DONT vs strong NTs but has agreed to play natural vs weak; North forgot.)

So South has UI at his second turn. Based on the comments thus far, the LAs seem to be 3, 3, possibly 4. Does anyone think Pass is an LA (would North not bid this way with 6=0=3=4 and < say 8 HCP)?

Are any of those calls demonstrably suggested by the UI?
Brian Weikle

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-May-04, 15:21

View PostCoelacanth, on 2015-May-04, 06:45, said:

ACBL, Regional Swiss Teams (IMP scoring)This is a UI problem but first, a bidding poll.In balancing chair after LHO's 12-14 1NT, you overcall 2, natural by agreement. Partner's 2 advance is undiscussed.What do you expect in partner's hand for this 2 call? Is 2 forcing?What call do you make, and what other calls do you consider?
IMO Pass is an LA because, without agreement, 2 isn't forcing. For me, by agreement, 2N or 3 would be forcing.

#12 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 17:36

It cannot be forcing as partner is a limited hand. Is anyone really not going to pass 2S with a hand like Kx KQJxx xx Qxxx? We cannot have a game and 2S looks like a fine spot.

That being said, I am not passing with a stiff spade, partner does not have 6 spades or he would have overcalled. I do not think playing a known 5-1 fit is a logical alternative.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#13 User is offline   Coelacanth 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-05, 08:47

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-May-04, 17:36, said:

It cannot be forcing as partner is a limited hand. Is anyone really not going to pass 2S with a hand like Kx KQJxx xx Qxxx? We cannot have a game and 2S looks like a fine spot.

That being said, I am not passing with a stiff spade, partner does not have 6 spades or he would have overcalled. I do not think playing a known 5-1 fit is a logical alternative.

In the event, the South player bid 3. The TDs decided not to adjust, but there was some discussion of imposing a pass over 2. The consensus was that if the small club had been a spade, this would be a much more difficult ruling, but with a singleton spade a pass was not a LA.

On the lie of the cards, both 3 and 2 are doomed to failure (North has JTxx and a singleton heart; West has AQTx.)
Brian Weikle

#14 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-May-05, 08:57

View PostCoelacanth, on 2015-May-05, 08:47, said:

The consensus was that if the small club had been a spade, this would be a much more difficult ruling, but with a singleton spade a pass was not a LA.

Agree with that, except that I would be inclined to think pass would be an LA if South had had two spades.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#15 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-05, 09:01

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-May-04, 17:36, said:

Would he? I generally play that we only overcall over weak NT with at least constructive hands.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users