BBO Discussion Forums: ATB - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-May-03, 14:41

Here is one from my district's GNT semifinals. Playing 2/1 GF, no Flannery:

1. Assign the blame for failing to reach 5.
2. What was the single worst call (if any)?

#2 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-03, 16:32

Not playing BART imo the South hand has to bid 4C (NF); 3C can just be a courtesy raise.

A nice hand for Kaplan inversion where you bid 1H-1S (0-4S) - 2C - 2S (forcing club raise)
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#3 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-03, 16:43

Very difficult to fault North's bidding in any way, if you don't play any gadgetry it can be tough to get to game here. South might have bid 4, but from their point of view 3NT could very easily be the right spot. South might also have chosen 2NT, but this doesn't help at all, the only alternative is 2, which seems excessive to say the least. To some extent it depends on your style, if North frequently has fewer than 4 clubs, then I don't think anyone is at fault. Even if North nearly always has length, I think it is tough to get to 5. With the actual South hand I would just have bid 2NT, which would not have been a great place to be.

#4 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-May-03, 18:06

There is a hand almost exactly like this bid by Meckwell in "Playing With the Bridge Legends" by Barnet Shenkin (95% sure about the book).

The reasoning was this

2C was limited and could be 3. Responder will prefer to give a 2H preference or bid 2NT unless hes 5C+stiff H.

So game is good vs

Axxx
x
xxx
xxxxx

So North should bid 5C (not 4C!)

I guess that if north already promised 4C than maybe he can invite rather than blast to game.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-03, 18:14

IIRC it was

1S-1NT (F)
2C-3C
5C!

opener had 11 pts 2A+K

Axxxx
??
?
?xxxx
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-03, 19:17

View Postbroze, on 2015-May-03, 16:32, said:

Not playing BART imo the South hand has to bid 4C (NF); 3C can just be a courtesy raise.

A nice hand for Kaplan inversion where you bid 1H-1S (0-4S) - 2C - 2S (forcing club raise)

And 4 misses the cold 3N opposite Jx, AKxxx, J, Axxxx or similar with 5 unmakable, it's not really that simple

#7 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-03, 23:59

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-May-03, 16:43, said:

Very difficult to fault North's bidding in any way, if you don't play any gadgetry it can be tough to get to game here.

I disagree, north has a fantastic hand imo. Note the difference in the north hand compared to Ax Kxxxx x Axxxx. Having the HA and out is great on hands when partner is likely to be stiff, there is no wastage. Obviously the fifth club and Kx of partners suit are good assets too.

On this hand partner had no aces and KQx of our stiff and game was still almost cold. Ofc the fifth club is very important for our hand, but with only 4 clubs partner will often have 5 spades or not much in diamonds (2N bid).
The artist formerly known as jlall

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-May-04, 02:31

View Postbenlessard, on 2015-May-03, 18:14, said:

IIRC it was

1S-1NT (F)
2C-3C
5C!

opener had 11 pts 2A+K

Axxxx
??
?
?xxxx

That's a very different auction from this one. In the forcing 1NT auction, 2 could be a 5323 12-count. In the auction in the original post, you can assume that opener has four clubs and therefore an unbalanced hand.

It's true that he will occasionally have only three, but only if he has some awkward strong hand. That's not a relevant consideration when we're deciding between inviting and driving game.

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 03:14

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-May-03, 23:59, said:

I disagree, north has a fantastic hand imo. Note the difference in the north hand compared to Ax Kxxxx x Axxxx. Having the HA and out is great on hands when partner is likely to be stiff, there is no wastage. Obviously the fifth club and Kx of partners suit are good assets too.

On this hand partner had no aces and KQx of our stiff and game was still almost cold. Ofc the fifth club is very important for our hand, but with only 4 clubs partner will often have 5 spades or not much in diamonds (2N bid).

Agree that it's a decent hand, but is it enough to move? Surely your partner could have quite a lot of junk? I guess to some extent it depends how you play these raises.

#10 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 03:30

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-May-03, 23:59, said:

I agree completely.

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-May-04, 03:14, said:

Agree that it's a decent hand, but is it enough to move? Surely your partner could have quite a lot of junk? I guess to some extent it depends how you play these raises.

No it is not a matter of agreements. I do not care whether 3 could be a courtesy raise. (It could, for example if the diamond honors were low cards)
It is a matter of poor hand evaluation.

South bid well and North final pass is atrocious.
North should insist on game. I would have continued with Minorwood.
Change Axx for KQx in the South hand and the pair would have played a slam in a partial.
Or, to give another example, change the South hand to AQxx, x xxx KJT63
Evaluating distributional hands with a good trump fit mainly by HCP is the major reason for this type of disaster.

Rainer Herrmann

#11 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 03:44

Fair enough, I concede.

#12 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 04:19

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-May-04, 03:14, said:

That's true, but yes I think north is worth a move. I would bid an oldfashioned 4C like a LOL. 2C 3C 4C 5C, great bidding! These hands are better for precision where you don't need courtesy raises, but my point remains that north needs to do something. Here's a sweet cherry picked hand Axxx x xxx Kxxxx. That looks like a courtesy raise and game is (almost) cold. Sure more wastage is likely, but so are more values etc. Even something like Axxxx x QJx Kxxx, a ton of wastage, only 4 trumps in dummy, seems like a reasonable game.

#13 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 04:21

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-May-04, 03:44, said:

Fair enough, I concede.

And after reading this hopefully it didn't seem I was harping on you! I like your posts and respond to them more since you seem like a smart and reasonable guy, in the past some people have taken that as me picking on them but hopefully you realize A) I don't think I'm necessarily right and B) I mainly respond to receptive, smart, capable players. Feel free to disagree/argue with me all you want, I think we will both be better for it.

#14 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 05:55

1. North 100%
South 0%

2: Pass

#15 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-May-04, 07:05

Thank you all for your responses. The discussion has turned in the direction that I was advocating - that the North hand should act over 3. I held the South hand.

Another interesting point was raised in the discussion in the post-mortem, and no one raised the point in this thread. What do you think of responding a forcing 1NT on the South hand, by-passing the spade suit? It may lead to a better auction, with the primary downside is that you may miss a 4-4 spade fit if partner has a minimum hand with 4-5 in the majors.

As I said, this point was raised in our post-mortem, but it was not a primary point of the discussion. I just found the idea interesting.

#16 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 07:46

please play Kaplan inversion you will not regret it. Both version, 1NT showing 5S or 4+S are fine.

I would even recommend playing

1H-1S-2Y-2S as art GF.

so when you make 1H-2C its always real clubs.

#17 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-04, 09:47

Late to the thread, and Justin summed up my position pretty well. I thought I'd add a point or so about the nature of N's hand, which is part of the valuation issue.

On this auction, if S had a minimum, courtesy-type raise, with xx in hearts and only 4 clubs, he would likely have bid 2 in order to avoid a 4-4 on minimal hcp.

So if he has a minimum, then he has 5 clubs and/or a stiff heart.

If he has extras, then clearly we need to bid again......Axxxx xx Qx Kxxx would be a reasonable guess for a bad hand with more than a courtesy raise, and only 4 clubs, and even here some might suggest a cautionary 2. While game on this is bad, the 4 level is pretty safe.

I guess the point is that we really have to upgrade Aces and Kings once we have at least a 9 card fit....and the stiff diamond is important, as well as the fact that while his 1 bid didn't 'promise' values in the suit, the possession of length in the suit makes it probable that there are values there, and so our spade K grows up.

I don't consciously use any 'numbers' to assign upgrading values...hands look good or bad in context. But compare this North hand to Jx KQxxx Jx AJxx, which is more hcp but a far inferior hand. I'd make the OP hand worth between 1 and 2 tricks more than the 12 counter 2=5=2=4.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#18 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 13:35

why not 4c by south to show superfit in clubs,singleton in hearts & near opening value?

#19 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-04, 14:04

View Postalok c, on 2015-May-04, 13:35, said:

why not 4c by south to show superfit in clubs,singleton in hearts & near opening value?

because one cannot get to 3N over 4. Sometimes 9 tricks in notrump are easier than 11 in a minor.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#20 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 14:09

Here's a sweet cherry picked hand Axxx x xxx Kxxxx

Even

Axxx,x,xxx,xxxxx

and game will make if C are 2-1 and you will even be able to deal with 5-1 hearts by playing one round of trumps.So Its a 78% game.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users