Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quality of connection

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-02, 13:15

I don't know whether what I want is feasible, but here goes.

Using the web interface, we have an icon in the top right corner of the window, in the form of a tiny bar chart, that supposedly tells us the quality of our connection. I find it less than satisfactory, in two respects.

Respect 1:

It is a step back from the windows download interface, which would show you the connection quality of the OTHER players at the table, which I found quite useful. The win client displays it as binary red dot instead of an analog bar chart, but that is good enough for me. "Bad" or "good" is all that I really want to know. The traffic can stand a pretty poor connection before it really causes an inconvenience.

The binary v analog discrepancy is a red herring. I really couldn't care less about that. But I miss (with the web interface) being unable to see the quality of connection of the other players at the table. If something could be entered against the players' names at the table, whether red dot or bar chart, it would be nice.

Respect 2:

The readout is presented in arrears. It is not a live reading. The way that bad connections tend to work (in my experience) is that you get quite long periods of no communication interspersed with bursts of connectivity of varying length before you get the next blackout. The indicator in the window is server driven, so that it only ever gets updated during a period of connectivity, required in order that the remote user gets the instruction from the server to amend the indicator.

One typical effect of this is that you go through a period of good connectivity, so you display 4 bars. Then you go into the doldrums for a while, but the indicator still shows 4 bars because it cannot receive an instruction from the server to suggest that there is a problem. Finally you get a connection back to the server, and with it an instruction to wipe out the bars. But by that time you have a good connection again, so the wipe-out is out of date, and by the time that you are restored to 4 bars, BANG, you lose your connection again.

So, and I have no idea whether this is possible, you need a way for the remote user to auto-wipe-out the bars if I does not receive a signal from the server within a defined period.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users