• You cannot reply to this topic

Bid to 5 or 6?

#1 User is offline   The Casual 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-May-01, 14:35

http://tinyurl.com/p4bkegk

Two questions:
Would you double in my seat (since TO x is how you show this many points)? I considered just a simple overcall of 1 because I would, as my partner, expect better hearts if rebid after the dbl; partner bidding hearts was a bit of a fluke imo.

Would you have bid 6 in the end (whether that be directly over 4 or after some investigation I don't know)? Basically, do you think it will be better to bid 5 or 6 in the long run?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-01, 15:58

View PostThe Casual, on 2015-May-01, 14:35, said:

http://tinyurl.com/p4bkegk

Two questions:
Would you double in my seat (since TO x is how you show this many points)? I considered just a simple overcall of 1 because I would, as my partner, expect better hearts if rebid after the dbl; partner bidding hearts was a bit of a fluke imo.

Would you have bid 6 in the end (whether that be directly over 4 or after some investigation I don't know)? Basically, do you think it will be better to bid 5 or 6 in the long run?

If your pd is going to play the hands like this, I say you should almost always choose the low path.

Imo the correct line is to qwack the first . LHO is known with KQ + K. The line I am about to suggest won't care who has the J. He will probably play but does not matter whatever he plays.
Finesse the K with Q.
A
to dummy
Ruff a spade,
A and another to dummy clearing trumps,
Ruff 3rd spade,
A and ruff 3rd .
Now cash last trump to squeeze W.

This is a simple line that should be performed by any ave+ player. A bad player would have gone for deep finesse but even that line has a chance to make.. A worse player would play the line your pd did, which is basically to play for nothing..

Back to the bidding, with this pd, I would not even bid 5, let alone 6. I'd just simply dbl them.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   The Casual 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-May-01, 22:59

Thanks MrAce, that line of play is quite cool; squeezes aren't really my expertise though so I would have gone with the two diamond finesses :D. I was a little annoyed that my p played for no chance to make the contract, obviously didn't count winners/ losers, but it was just some random partner I got paired with, little can be done. I'm just interested in the bidding really, the play is only left in because I don't know how to remove it haha.

The answer I'm looking for is whether people think bidding the slam is profitable in the long run, with a slightly better (but non expert) declarer of course :P

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 01:56

There are things to consider before we decide, in favour or against bidding slam.

In favour

• You have a control rich hand, including their suit
  • AQTx looks very well placed behind 1 opener.
  • You do not have wasted hcps in suit and seems like finesse is working if needed (say pd held QJxxx )
  • Their bidding suggests that pd made his free 2 bid w/o values.
  • If their fit is only 8 cards (assume E responded with KQxx Jxx xxx Jxx) that makes pd hold something like xxxx KQxxx xx xx, which makes slam look pretty good.

Against

• It is advised not to seek slam when they opened. (and not game when they open 1 NT)
  • At MP in the long run, it pays much more often to go plus. (I do not know the scoring for this hand though)
  • And if you make 12 tricks with a good play it pays in long run anyway even if you did not bid slm.
  • The lay out of hands may not be as pure as they are in the original hand. There are things that may go wrong.
  • If their fit is 10 cards, this means you will have less ruffs and tricks. (Suppose pd held xx KQJxx xxx Jx)

Overall it pretty much narrows down to your needs in a pairs session or team game. If I am doing good so far in whatever I play, I tend to not take risks that may do more harm than they do good. But if I am in need of good score to have any chance in the event then this is a good hand to go for it. Whatever you decide, it will be a close win or loss decision.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-08, 19:33

I agree with all of Mr Ace's anaysis.

However one extra point, is what kind of hand (and how many hearts) does partner promises when they bid 2H? What would a double have meant instead? The answers to these questions also have a big effect on your decision!

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-16, 08:24

I would have bid 4n which pretty much has to be taken as rkc for hearts since with something like 28 hcp balanced (and a spade stop) I would probably prefer to x 4s rather than risk a natural 4n (I will pay off to a hand that makes exactly 10 tricks in nt that cant make 11 in a minor when in possession of a long minor). If p cannot come up with a key card slam just seems too unlikely to pursue. Once you know of the heart K asking for the Q would still seem prudent if one is to pursue slam and I would bid 6 after finding it.

Do not concern yourself too much with your partner's lop since you will continue to find other partners as your bidding and play skills develop. Get into good contracts for the right reason and you will be surprised how many people will notice:)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users