BBO Discussion Forums: Made 7NT when defender on lead had the A of Clubs - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Made 7NT when defender on lead had the A of Clubs very bizarre

#1 User is offline   Shugart23 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-01, 08:46

This is a true experience. My wife and I were bidding, playing precision, and got messed up in our communication during the bidding process and asking sequences. At one point, my wife bid 4C which was promptly doubled for a club lead.....Anyway we got to a disastrous 7 NT trump contract with my wife playing it.....RHO led a club out of turn for the opening lead....We call the director over and he explains the options to my wife and my wife tells LHO she will not allow a Club lead. LHO then lays down the Ace of Clubs !...The director explains that this is now a penalty card and to lead something else. It was all over for the opponents then....my dummy hand held something like,K,Q,J,10,x,x of Clubs..... LHO made a legal lead which my wife took and eventually the penalty Ace of Clubs had to be discarded and the impossible 7NT contract was made

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-01, 09:48

Shugart23, on 2015-May-01, 08:46, said:

This is a true experience. My wife and I were bidding, playing precision, and got messed up in our communication during the bidding process and asking sequences. At one point, my wife bid 4C which was promptly doubled for a club lead.....Anyway we got to a disastrous 7 NT trump contract with my wife playing it.....RHO led a club out of turn for the opening lead....We call the director over and he explains the options to my wife and my wife tells LHO she will not allow a Club lead. LHO then lays down the Ace of Clubs !...The director explains that this is now a penalty card and to lead something else. It was all over for the opponents then....my dummy hand held something like,K,Q,J,10,x,x of Clubs..... LHO made a legal lead which my wife took and eventually the penalty Ace of Clubs had to be discarded and the impossible 7NT contract was made

Circa 1979, small Sectional tournament, I was lined up with an ostensibly competent partner (bearing in mind we were in our mid-twenties and none of us were really expert), and early on I opened 2 with my balanced 22 and partner held a full opener with a 7 card heart suit so he showed hearts by what was then our conventional method of bidding 2N, and over my 3N, asked for Aces and I told him I had only 1...he didn't believe me and bid 7N with his 2.

My LHO, who was much older...probably in his 40's(!)....was positively vibrating as he doubled.....there were 3 passes......my LHO was laying down the spade Ace as my hand was rising in the air for the TD. Sure enough, it was a lead out of turn, and my partner knew enough to bar the lead.....we had 13 top winners outside the spade suit.

Ok...so this was weird enough, but we were in a 13 table section and scored only 11 on a 12 top......3 pairs were in 7N doubled, making.

We had to redouble to get the top.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2015-May-01, 12:35

I like where this thread is going..... :)
I would like to contribute experiences like this, but I don't have them.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-01, 12:51

dicklont, on 2015-May-01, 12:35, said:

I described a similar experience before: I was in 6N after my partner got rather more enthused than her hand warranted...I had shown a 4 card spade suit at some time.

The opening lead was slow in coming, and turned out to be harmful to the defence by picking off a missing Jack, which gave me 11 winners. I was off the spade AK and the heart K. Taking the heart hook would, if successful, get me to 12 tricks.

Oh well....I ran a bunch if winners and LHO looked increasingly uncomfortable. Meanwhile, her partner, a reliable type who would be insulted at the notion that she ever falsecard, pitched a discouraging heart.

Well, long story short, with 4 cards left, LHO held spade AK(!) and heart Kx, and I held QJ AQ with the lead in dummy. I pitched a spade and so did LHO. I had nothing to lose, since I trusted RHO and LHO was clearly holding the heart K, so exited a spade and LHO won to lead into my heart AQ. Trust me, anyone capable of not leading the AK of spades would be incapable of stiffing the heart K.

LHO later explained that she didn't want to lead the spade AK because she thought that I would be ready for that. I didn't say anything about how lucky she was that she hadn't doubled the slam.

Oh, the joys of playing in weak fields :D Finalists in the Spingold, etc, never get to experience this sort of thing.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-01, 12:51

dicklont, on 2015-May-01, 12:35, said:

my thoughts exactly LOL

#6 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-01, 13:03

diana_eva, on 2015-May-01, 12:51, said:

my thoughts exactly LOL

A long time ago a defender revoked ruffing a card using the Ace of Trumps.

He lost that trick due to revoke laws

Is it natural justice to lose the Ace of Trumps?

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-01, 13:19

Oof Arted, on 2015-May-01, 13:03, said:

It's a fun story. I doubt this thread is "let's discuss whether this was fair or not"

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-May-01, 14:04

Oof Arted, on 2015-May-01, 13:03, said:

The funnier version of that is one where somebody never had a chance to make the ace of trumps because the guy with a 14 card hand had to follow to the first 13 tricks.

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-May-02, 00:56

I once performed a succesful colour coup, and it wasn't even on purpose! I don't remember the exact hand, but I was playing something like 3NT with KQJT98 (small doubleton in my hand) and a very small chance for an entry. When I played K RHO ducked (killing dummy) and LHO showed his count. Next trick I played Q from dummy (to take the finesse) and RHO 'took' his A... Needless to say, A became a penalty card which had to be discarded a couple of tricks later, and my second was enough to reach dummy and run the s. 3NT was several tricks down at all tables, and I made overtricks :D
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#10 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 06:55

A friend told me of a grand slam he had the fortune of defending whilst holding the ace of trumps. So excited by this that he accidentally revoked and ruffed in with it. His partner later scored the KS. They had to hand those tricks back...

#11 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 11:59

Eddie Kantar wrote about a hand played by Jim Linhart, where his partner bid 7 and RHO doubled and put the A on the table without waiting for three passes. Linhart bid 7NT, and the Ace was a penalty card that had to get pitched after some desperate declarer play finally voided RHO in another suit.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#12 User is offline   Trick13 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 15:13

How about making 7NT missing two aces?

Two international players bid to 7NT no doubt assuming some first round controls were aces not voids. Opponent tables two aces at the same time saying, "I'll just takes these two". Unfortunately there were leads out of turn and director rules that declarer can ban the lead of both suits.

#13 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 17:06

Trick13, on 2015-May-02, 15:13, said:

Two international players bid to 7NT no doubt assuming some first round controls were aces not voids. Opponent tables two aces at the same time saying, "I'll just takes these two". Unfortunately there were leads out of turn and director rules that declarer can ban the lead of both suits.

Truscott wrote about a match with a similar incident where the defense actually did take their tricks, quite a few in fact. They happily reported +2,000 at the comparison and their teammate said "Push."
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-May-02, 17:27

GreenMan, on 2015-May-02, 17:06, said:

Truscott wrote about a match with a similar incident where the defense actually did take their tricks, quite a few in fact. They happily reported +2,000 at the comparison and their teammate said "Push."

As far as disappointing comparisons go this must rank with the one a couple of top brits managed many years ago where one declarer scored +1370 on some compound squeeze to find this saved an IMP vs the 5200 redoubled fiasco at the other table.

#15 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-May-02, 17:32

Trick13, on 2015-May-02, 15:13, said:

Is this the right ruling, this is a claim not exposing cards, so surely play ceases and you can't force utterly unreasonable plays (like discarding the aces).

#16 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-03, 10:48

Molson and Baron once had a long auction, cue bidding everything twice and each with a running suit to 7nt.

An opponent led a x out of turn and Molson said "It doesn't matter" and laid his dummy down. Hearts split 6-7 and Boris chased him out of the room.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#17 User is offline   Trick13 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-03, 14:38

Cyberyeti, on 2015-May-02, 17:32, said:

Is this the right ruling, this is a claim not exposing cards, so surely play ceases and you can't force utterly unreasonable plays (like discarding the aces).

There were 13 tricks available in the other two suits.

#18 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 02:13

Trick13, on 2015-May-03, 14:38, said:

There were 13 tricks available in the other two suits.

Not when the opening leader has claimed the first two tricks (and conceded the rest).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#19 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 06:12

Trinidad, on 2015-May-04, 02:13, said:

Not when the opening leader has claimed the first two tricks (and conceded the rest).

Rik

The claimant wasn't on lead, so what's to say you were getting those 2 aces?
Wayne Somerville

#20 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 07:33

A previous partner of mine was very much a novice and this led to some "entertaining" results, like 1H-4C (SPL); pass and I made it on a 3-1 fit! (Of course, we were cold for 7H.) And then there was the case of the board that wasn't shuffled properly where we held all 40 HCPs between us (18 top tricks in three denominations) but couldn't manage to bid beyond 3NT :/

Once at Brighton my current, and much more competent, partner scored up 7 missing two aces. He was 1-0-6-6 and had opened a system strong bid so I figured he "had" to have the A, right? -.- The guy on lead was far too trusting that as partner hadn't redoubled in hearts to show a first-round control, that's where the ace was cashing. Partner ruffed out his club suit to discard all spades from my hand, and as we left the table much arguing ensued. :/ Unfortunately since then in any silly slams we've bid, mainly due to Blackwood disasters, every opp has doubled but nobody so far has been kind enough to lead out of turn.

ahydra

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users