Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Insufficient bid accepted

#1 User is offline   Frager 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-30, 06:58

Recently the following occured at the club.

N: 3 (opening bid)

E: Pass

S: 1 ( He did not see the 3 spade bid!!!)

West accepted the insufficient bid.

I did not hear what West bid.

What now happens to the 3 bid by North.

Jim

#2 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-April-30, 08:47

View PostFrager, on 2015-April-30, 06:58, said:

What now happens to the 3 bid by North.

The 3 stands as the first bid of the auction.
On the next round North can make any bid that if sufficient over West's bid: including bids below 3 or 3 itself.
If North does not have bidding-box cards to indicate his next bid he should ask the other players or TD for help.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-April-30, 08:59

I don't see the problem here.

Once the 1 bid is accepted, it is a legal bid and the auction proceeds from that point.

The issue of the use of bidding box cards is purely a mechanical issue, not a legal issue. Each player can make any legal call after South's 1 call. If North wants to make a bid lower than 3 at his second opportunity to call, it can be accomplished quite easily without anyone's help. One way would be to put back all of the cards under 3 into the bidding box and leave the 3 card on the table. This will permit North to use the bidding box cards to make any bid other than 3.

If North wants to bid 3 again, he may have to borrow that card from another player.

Or, of course, North can use verbal bidding (gasp!).

#4 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-30, 10:20

Also, in case it isn't clear from "The 3 stands as the first bid of the auction", if NS become the declaring side in a spade contract, North will be declarer even if South is the first to bid spades after the insufficient bid is accepted.

#5 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-30, 10:22

View PostRMB1, on 2015-April-30, 08:47, said:

The 3 stands as the first bid of the auction.
On the next round North can make any bid that if sufficient over West's bid: including bids below 3 or 3 itself.
If North does not have bidding-box cards to indicate his next bid he should ask the other players or TD for help.

Or take the appropriate card(s) from under his 3 bid and reuse them.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-30, 12:00

View Postchrism, on 2015-April-30, 10:20, said:

Also, in case it isn't clear from "The 3 stands as the first bid of the auction", if NS become the declaring side in a spade contract, North will be declarer even if South is the first to bid spades after the insufficient bid is accepted.
Also even if the contract is 1 or 2.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-30, 12:21

View PostArtK78, on 2015-April-30, 08:59, said:

Or, of course, North can use verbal bidding (gasp!).

This is not normally accepted procedure where bidding cards are used. One issue is that players cannot visually review the bidding.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-April-30, 12:58

View PostVampyr, on 2015-April-30, 12:21, said:

This is not normally accepted procedure where bidding cards are used. One issue is that players cannot visually review the bidding.

I've not seen any RA's bidding box regulations that address the question what to do when this situation arises. So if the TD is at the table, and I'm the one whose bid has been accepted, and it comes around to me and I want to make a bid at or below (in this case) 3, I would ask the TD for an additional bidding box. If he's not at the table, I suppose I'll have to call him. :P
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#9 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-30, 15:08

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-April-30, 12:58, said:

I've not seen any RA's bidding box regulations that address the question what to do when this situation arises. So if the TD is at the table, and I'm the one whose bid has been accepted, and it comes around to me and I want to make a bid at or below (in this case) 3, I would ask the TD for an additional bidding box. If he's not at the table, I suppose I'll have to call him. :P

Nothing prevents you from disordering your own bid cards in order to present the desired card (like pulling the 2 card from the pile originally used to bid 3) or borrowing a desired bid card from one of the other players.

Assuming of course that you are able to properly restore all affected bid boxes afterwards.

#10 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-April-30, 15:25

Nothing prevents me from asking the TD for another box, either. Not that it matters. Any reasonable solution will work, even reverting to verbal bidding, as Art suggested. Vampyr objected to that, but her objection doesn't make much sense, since we already use verbal bidding in some situations (blind player, for example) in which bidding boxes are theoretically in play.
--------------------

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-30, 22:04

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-April-30, 15:25, said:

Nothing prevents me from asking the TD for another box, either. Not that it matters. Any reasonable solution will work, even reverting to verbal bidding, as Art suggested. Vampyr objected to that, but her objection doesn't make much sense, since we already use verbal bidding in some situations (blind player, for example) in which bidding boxes are theoretically in play.

In every case I have witnessed when verbal bidding is used for the benefit of a visually impaired player, bidding boxes are also used.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-01, 13:07

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-April-30, 12:58, said:

You could also borrow the 3 card from 1 of the opponents, it is possible they will not be using it :)

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-May-01, 13:54

That possibility was already mentioned.
--------------------

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users