BBO Discussion Forums: Nat Pairs 6 - hesitation in the play - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nat Pairs 6 - hesitation in the play EBU

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-29, 07:26

West is playing in 4. North leads K then the queen, ruffed by West in the dummy. West then leads 7. North follows with Q after a pause of several seconds. West takes the ace and plays small to the king on the next round. When North shows out they complain to my colleague that they were misled by the break in tempo and want a score adjustment.

Do they deserve one?

#2 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 07:39

Yes, in my view.

I know you can argue that playing the K only gains when N has QJ, and he wouldn't have anything to think about with that. But I don't think this is relevant. One thing you know for sure, is that he would have nothing to think about with Q singleton, and once S follows then QJ doubleton is the only possibility left. If you don't adjust here you give players carte blanche to mess around and see if it puts declarer off. So if N was really thinking about what they wanted for dinner, or even the bridge reason of what to discard on the next round of trumps, then I think they need to issue a disclaimer to avoid misleading declarer.

#3 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 08:22

Agreed.

North has no legitimate bridge reason for any hesitation in this position. He might have "saved his bacon" by stating "sorry, I had nothing to think about".

#4 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 08:51

Umm, isn't north entitled to consider whether to accept or reject the lead from the wrong hand?

With the second club ruffed in dummy the lead of the 7 from declarer's hand isn't really an expected continuation.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-April-29, 09:02

View Postpran, on 2015-April-29, 08:22, said:

North has no legitimate bridge reason for any hesitation in this position. He might have "saved his bacon" by stating "sorry, I had nothing to think about".

Is being startled when the lead came from the wrong hand a "legitimate" reason?

#6 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 09:06

West committed an infraction when he led from the wrong hand. North now has a choice: does he accept the LOOT or not? My ruling: given West's infraction, North's "hesitation" is in normal tempo for the circumstances. There has been no infraction by North, and his eventual play of the Q accepts the LOOT, so there is no further rectification for that infraction. Play on.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-April-29, 09:19

Do we need to ask North whether he noticed that the lead came from the wrong hand, and his hesitation was actually because he was thinking about whether to accept? Or is it enough that it could be, and declarer should know that, so he has no right to take an inference from the hesitation?

It's likely that declarer didn't even realize that he led from the wrong hand, so would he be expected to realize how it affects LHO's tempo? Is that just too bad on the part of declarer? Once he makes a mistake, the opponents effectively get a free pass?

#8 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 09:49

View PostWellSpyder, on 2015-April-29, 07:39, said:

Yes, in my view.

I know you can argue that playing the K only gains when N has QJ, and he wouldn't have anything to think about with that. But I don't think this is relevant. One thing you know for sure, is that he would have nothing to think about with Q singleton, and once S follows then QJ doubleton is the only possibility left. If you don't adjust here you give players carte blanche to mess around and see if it puts declarer off. So if N was really thinking about what they wanted for dinner, or even the bridge reason of what to discard on the next round of trumps, then I think they need to issue a disclaimer to avoid misleading declarer.

Oops! Could we have a facility to downvote one's own posts? (I'm happy not be able to upvote them!)

Others have done a rather better job than me in recognising that the lead came from the wrong hand at T3. In my view that completely alters the first assessment I gave of this case, and I think N has an entirely legitimate reason to think about whether or not he wants to accept this. Bad luck on declarer if he drew the wrong inference about what N had to be thinking about because he didn't realise N had a genuine choice at this point even with a singleton Q....

#9 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-April-29, 09:55

View Postbarmar, on 2015-April-29, 09:02, said:

Is being startled when the lead came from the wrong hand a "legitimate" reason?

No, not unless he draws attention to the irregularity and then summons the Director.

And remember

Law 9 B 1 c said:

Summoning the Director does not cause a player to forfeit any rights to which he might otherwise be entitled

#10 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 10:15

View Postpran, on 2015-April-29, 09:55, said:

No, not unless he draws attention to the irregularity and then summons the Director.

Being startled may not be regarded as a legitimate reason to hesitate with a singleton, but I would like to see some evidence that the laws do not allow you to think about what you want to do in this situation when you have a genuine choice to make, before accepting the assertion that it is not legitimate to think here.

#11 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 10:27

The reason for pausing is even stronger than that given in several replies: your partner is allowed to accept it too, but if you express different views yours will prevail. So it makes sense to give partner the opportunity to express an opinion before you do so yourself.

LAW 55: DECLARER’S LEAD OUT OF TURN
A. Declarer’s Lead Accepted
If declarer has led out of turn from his or dummy’s hand, either defender
may accept the lead as provided in Law 53, or require its retraction (after
misinformation, see Law 47E1). If the defenders choose differently the
option expressed by the player next in turn shall prevail.

Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#12 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-April-29, 10:32

View Postbarmar, on 2015-April-29, 09:19, said:

Do we need to ask North whether he noticed that the lead came from the wrong hand, and his hesitation was actually because he was thinking about whether to accept? Or is it enough that it could be, and declarer should know that, so he has no right to take an inference from the hesitation?

It's likely that declarer didn't even realize that he led from the wrong hand, so would he be expected to realize how it affects LHO's tempo? Is that just too bad on the part of declarer? Once he makes a mistake, the opponents effectively get a free pass?

Not a free pass. We rule on preponderance of the evidence.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#13 User is offline   axman 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-29, 10:46

View Postbarmar, on 2015-April-29, 09:19, said:

If we are smart enough to know (aren't we?) the implications of W's infraction there is no need to inquire as to why N did not play his Q immediately.

Even if we aren't smart enough, and hence ask, and are told N wasn't thinking about the infraction, it does not affect the ruling because declarer's expectation when he infracted was that N had something to think about- condoning the infraction.

Declarer has the right to take inference- but given the premise that his infraction ostensibly caused the tempo it is justice for him to not have such right- and certainly in this case whatever inference taken has no justification to appeal for a score better than was earned with the cards.

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-April-29, 13:20

View Postaxman, on 2015-April-29, 10:46, said:

Declarer has the right to take inference- but given the premise that his infraction ostensibly caused the tempo it is justice for him to not have such right- and certainly in this case whatever inference taken has no justification to appeal for a score better than was earned with the cards.

Oh, he has the right — but the risk is his. His opponent's tempo does not mitigate that risk.
--------------------

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 13:51

View Postgordontd, on 2015-April-29, 10:27, said:

The reason for pausing is even stronger than that given in several replies: your partner is allowed to accept it too, but if you express different views yours will prevail. So it makes sense to give partner the opportunity to express an opinion before you do so yourself.

Yes, in this situation I always take a bit of time in case partner objects. Perhaps it should be illegal to auto-play, because this tells partner you had no reason to care which hand declarer played from.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#16 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-April-29, 15:38

View PostWellSpyder, on 2015-April-29, 10:15, said:

Being startled may not be regarded as a legitimate reason to hesitate with a singleton, but I would like to see some evidence that the laws do not allow you to think about what you want to do in this situation when you have a genuine choice to make, before accepting the assertion that it is not legitimate to think here.

There is a very good advice in such situations:
If your opponent commits an irregularity and you do not immediately know what you want to do With it then Call the Director!

If the opponent's play is no irregularity and you have a singleton in the suit led then you have absolutely no excuse for any hesitation.

#17 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-April-29, 15:49

View Postgordontd, on 2015-April-29, 10:27, said:

LAW 55: DECLARER’S LEAD OUT OF TURN
A. Declarer’s Lead Accepted
If declarer has led out of turn from his or dummy’s hand, either defender
may accept the lead as provided in Law 53, or require its retraction (after
misinformation, see Law 47E1). If the defenders choose differently the
option expressed by the player next in turn shall prevail.

You have no reason to pause in order to give your partner such opportunity. Just call the director!

#18 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-April-30, 00:48

73D2 : 2. A player may not attempt to mislead an opponent by means of remark
or gesture, by the haste or hesitancy of a call or play (as in hesitating
before playing a singleton), the manner in which a call or play is made
or by any purposeful deviation from correct procedure.

BUT

73F When a violation of the Proprieties described in this law results in damage
to an innocent opponent, if the Director determines that an innocent player
has drawn a false inference from a remark, manner, tempo, or the like, of an
opponent who has no demonstrable bridge reason for the action, and who
could have known, at the time of the action, that the action could work to
his benefit, the Director shall award an adjusted score (see Law 12C).

North has to decide whether to reject the lead from the wrong hand. This is a demonstrable bridge reason for the pause.

And (for completeness) don't forget law 55C (which deals in cases for example when declarer leads from dummy by 'mistake' when dummy has no obvious entry to find out if RHO objects).

C. Declarer Might Obtain Information
When declarer adopts a line of play that could have been based on
information obtained through the infraction, the Director may award an
adjusted score.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#19 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-April-30, 01:46

View Postweejonnie, on 2015-April-30, 00:48, said:

73D2 : 2. A player may not attempt to mislead an opponent by means of remark
or gesture, by the haste or hesitancy of a call or play (as in hesitating
before playing a singleton), the manner in which a call or play is made
or by any purposeful deviation from correct procedure.

BUT

73F When a violation of the Proprieties described in this law results in damage
to an innocent opponent, if the Director determines that an innocent player
has drawn a false inference from a remark, manner, tempo, or the like, of an
opponent who has no demonstrable bridge reason for the action, and who
could have known, at the time of the action, that the action could work to
his benefit, the Director shall award an adjusted score (see Law 12C).

North has to decide whether to reject the lead from the wrong hand. This is a demonstrable bridge reason for the pause.

And (for completeness) don't forget law 55C (which deals in cases for example when declarer leads from dummy by 'mistake' when dummy has no obvious entry to find out if RHO objects).

C. Declarer Might Obtain Information
When declarer adopts a line of play that could have been based on
information obtained through the infraction, the Director may award an
adjusted score.

"North has to decide whether to reject the lead from the wrong hand. This is a demonstrable bridge reason for the pause."

Yes - but only after he has called the Director!

#20 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-30, 02:10

View PostVampyr, on 2015-April-29, 13:51, said:

Yes, in this situation I always take a bit of time in case partner objects. Perhaps it should be illegal to auto-play, because this tells partner you had no reason to care which hand declarer played from.

That would be unfair to a player who follows because of not noticing that the lead was from the wrong hand.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users