Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

XYZ Question delayed raise with 3 card support

#1 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-28, 18:30

Playing XYZ, and assuming the 1NT rebid instead of raise,how should the auction continue?

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-April-28, 18:36

2-2-2-4
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-April-28, 18:40

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-April-28, 18:36, said:

2-2-2-4

Yes, 2 invite and I also accept with South's nice 13 hcp hand.

#4 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-28, 18:45

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-April-28, 18:36, said:

2-2-2-4

Does this mean that opener will automatically correct to 2/3NT with a doubleton spade? And is there any good reason why opener can't refuse the relay and bid 2S since the worst that can happen is a 43 fit rather than 2D? I am just trying to wrap my mind around XYZ and I see this as a real problem.

#5 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-28, 19:01

View Postneilkaz, on 2015-April-28, 18:40, said:

Yes, 2 invite and I also accept with South's nice 13 hcp hand.

I wouldn't by the way, but that's just because North is a clear opening hand for me. :P
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-28, 19:04

View Postdboxley, on 2015-April-28, 18:45, said:

Does this mean that opener will automatically correct to 2/3NT with a doubleton spade?

Not necessarily, 5-2 fits tend to play reasonably well.

And is there any good reason why opener can't refuse the relay and bid 2S since the worst that can happen is a 43 fit rather than 2D? I am just trying to wrap my mind around XYZ and I see this as a real problem.

Assume for a moment that partner is not an idiot. What's wrong with playing 2 if partner does indeed bid 2 and then passes 2?
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-28, 19:07

Does this mean that opener will automatically correct to 2/3NT with a doubleton spade? And is there any good reason why opener can't refuse the relay and bid 2S since the worst that can happen is a 43 fit rather than 2D? I am just trying to wrap my mind around XYZ and I see this as a real problem.

1) Opener automatically corrects to 3N with an acceptance of the invite and a doubleton spade. If opener wants to decline the invite, pass is a possibility even with a doubleton spade.

2) Remember that the 2 bid also covers weak hands (say 3-9hcp) with 4 spades and 6 diamonds. If opener has a maximum that wants to play 2 on a 4-3 fit opposite that hand by responder, they can certainly refuse the relay and bid 2. (At least that's the case in the versions of XYZ i've played.) I don't think this is one of those hands.

#8 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-28, 20:52

I like this bidding sequences.

#9 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-28, 21:22

The most common version of xyz is where 2c forces 2d
However some play 2c does not 100% force 2d, you may show major support.
fwiw I prefer to just have 2c force 2d.
-------------
------------

Please note playing XYZ you can generate all sorts of auctions. You will agree to the few that are very common. However many many minority auctions will end up never being discussed. Some prefer to memorize, most of us don't.
the general rule is:
2c is invite or weakish with long d.
2d=gf
common rule but some disagree after 1X1Y1Z:
3c=weakish with long clubs
3d or 3h or 3s=natural and slam try.

------------

-------------

Please keep in mind it is somewhat common to raise on 3 card support and shortness after:

1x=1 major
2 major.

but I am unclear whether meckwell raises on 3 or does not??

#10 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 02:21

View Postakwoo, on 2015-April-28, 19:07, said:

2) Remember that the 2 bid also covers weak hands (say 3-9hcp) with 4 spades and 6 diamonds. If opener has a maximum that wants to play 2 on a 4-3 fit opposite that hand by responder, they can certainly refuse the relay and bid 2. (At least that's the case in the versions of XYZ i've played.) I don't think this is one of those hands.

This argument is always brought forward in support of the puppet.
I can not remember when I had last time a hand with 4 spades and 6 diamonds in this range and being allowed to play 2 diamonds with opponents being silent throughout. I find this argument weak.
If responder can hold 4-6, he can also hold 5-5 with about 9-10 points (or weaker) where he is only interested in a major suit game (or partial) if opener has three cards in the major and wants to play 2 otherwise.
The worst what can happen if you do not puppet with 4-6 is that responder will have to play the 4-3 major suit instead of the minor suit fit or will have to rebid 3.
I find it more useful if 2 denies 3 cards in responders major.
Hamman is also a proponent of this style.

Rainer Herrmann

#11 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 02:50

4-6 lol
The artist formerly known as jlall

#12 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 17:02

Another hand with which the weak nt works well, try 1nt 2h trfr, 2s, 3d, 4s.

#13 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-30, 06:22

View Postzillahandp, on 2015-April-29, 17:02, said:

Another hand with which the weak nt works well, try 1nt 2h trfr, 2s, 3d, 4s.

Actually, this is another fine hand for the famous Trinidad 2.

The auction simply goes:
21-42

1Trinidad 2 opening, promising exactly: KT2 K9832 A3 K96
2Responder places the contract.

Notice how the defenders are kept in the dark about declarer's hand, one of the major advantages of the Trinidad 2 opening.

The South hand is also perfect for psyching a Tobago 2 opening. (You probably know this already, but for the sake of completion I will say that a Tobago 2 opening promises: KT3 K9832 A3 K96.) Again, the good contract of 4 is reached, played by the hidden hand and the opponents have been tricked about dummy's trump strength, which can't be bad.

Seriously, for every hand there is a system that works well for that hand (but not so well for others). Sometimes a weak NT works well, and sometimes a strong NT works well, and sometimes it doesn't really matter. But let's just bid the hands according to the system that the OP has given, perhaps unless we really think that his system is completely unplayable.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#14 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-30, 10:04

I understand now why one often sees Trinidad and Tobago being combined. That way, you have a convention that comes up twice as often as either of the individual alternative conventions, with only a minor loss of bidding accuracy....

#15 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-30, 22:36

Keep in mind that:

1x=1major
2major will cover many of these hands with only 3 card raise.

that makes:

1x=1major
1z=2c!
2major and a minimum rare.

so I feel comfortable with having 2c force 2d
but if you prefer other ..ok.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users