• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid these hands

#21 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-29, 03:08

View Postrhm, on 2015-April-29, 03:03, said:

I had the feeling this slam is not cold, but a good one.

Well that is enough for me. Sometimes hands like these look like a good slam but they are not. If you put a gun to my head i would have guessed it was def over 50 but def below 60, so 72 was a surprising number. Often times these kinds of things can be surprising to a human brain though.

FWIW I generally think of missing a slam >60 or bidding a slam <40 as a disaster. Missing a slam that is 50-55 is w/e as is bidding one 45-50. 55-60 and 40-45 are in the middle. So apparently missing this one would be very bad by my scale which is enough for me :) No real point, sometimes you don't know if a slam is good or not, but better bidders and better partnerships with better agreements generally have an edge when they decide to bid slam or not bid a slam. It's good to know when or if a slam is good or not if you know your partners hand!
The artist formerly known as jlall

#22 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 06:05

View Postrhm, on 2015-April-29, 02:38, said:

A simple simulation shows that slam makes about 72% of the time.
Yes I know that is double dummy, which works both ways but favors slightly declarer at the slam level.

I was interested in that, as someone who often does simple simulations, and I had 73% for mine on the same hands. I am not sure that DD favours declarer, in that the defence get the first shot, and each player can see 26 cards in single dummy whereas they can see 52 in DD. Declarer gains with two-way guesses, endplays, squeezes etc, but the defence gains a great deal on the opening lead.

On the auction, I would bid 1H-1S-3C (artificial, either nat FG or big spade raise) - 3D (which)-3S (FG spade raise)-4C-4D-4S and now North might move on, although he has shown a hand too good to raise 1S to 4S. I would not expect to get there.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#23 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 10:33

View Postdboxley, on 2015-April-27, 16:49, said:

IMPS

I think north is a decent hand only with 4 loser,so opening 2c is feasible,it goes :

If open 1,maybe it is difficult to reach slam.

#24 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 19:14

View Postlamford, on 2015-April-29, 06:05, said:

On the auction, I would bid 1H-1S-3C (artificial, either nat FG or big spade raise) - 3D (which)-3S (FG spade raise)

Seems like one of the worst conventions ever, what do you do with 3514 etc type hands?
The artist formerly known as jlall

#25 User is offline   nate_m 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-30, 00:13

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-April-29, 19:14, said:

Seems like one of the worst conventions ever, what do you do with 3514 etc type hands?

If you have 3514, just tank before you bid 3S.

#26 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-30, 03:55

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-April-29, 19:14, said:

You play a 2 rebid as "never passed with a real response".

#27 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-May-05, 01:28

I think a DD sim here is wrong by at least 10%. It will pull the right amount of trumps and will establish the right round suit. I did forget RHO having KQ of clubs.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#28 User is offline   dboxley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-05, 06:39

I thought the opener was a little too good for a 4S rebid but the alternatives weren't great. 3D followed by 4S, which is what I bid, is about right on strength but implies club shortness, not to mention that it shows a better suit (:)).. Maybe a 4D splinter is better but it is still an underbid. The keys to the hand were responder's fifth spade and 1st round club control.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users