• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Practice bidding online www.correctcontract.com

#1 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-27, 06:40

I've made a website where you can practice bidding: www.correctcontract.com
What's wrong with BBO for bidding practice? Nothing! BBO is a great site, but it requires both players to be online and logged in at the same time, and in order to use it on your phone/tablet you have to download a special app.

Correct Contract works in any modern browser, and the main feature is that you do not have to be logged in at the same time as your partner. So you bid a couple of boards and come back later to se if your partner has responded.

Edit: The previous errors seems to be gone *fingers crossed*

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-April-27, 06:57

View PostKungsgeten, on 2015-April-27, 06:40, said:

I've made a website where you can practice bidding: www.correctcontract.com
What's wrong with BBO for bidding practice? Nothing! BBO is a great site, but it requires both players to be online and logged in at the same time, and in order to use it on your phone/tablet you have to download a special app.

Correct Contract works in any modern browser, and the main feature is that you do not have to be logged in at the same time as your partner. So you bid a couple of boards and come back later to se if your partner has responded.

Right now there might be some problems accessing the site, but hopefully it should work (fingers crossed). Also for some reason there's a "Internal Server Error" from time to time, but then you'd just have to refresh the browser and it should be fine.

Sounds like a cool idea. However the site isn't working for me ATM.

This page is shown for requests to domainnames that have not yet been configured by all the of webservers in the cluster.
If you added your website recently it will show up here shortly.

#3 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-27, 07:05

View PostKungsgeten, on 2015-April-27, 06:40, said:

What's wrong with BBO for bidding practice?

The fact that you can't download the PBN files of a bidding session. <_<

Site sounds like a great idea though - I can't access it either but I will watch this space.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#4 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-27, 07:37

I've possibly posted this too soon... It worked for me about an hour ago, but now I can't access it. Wierd.

You can not export your deals to pbn at the moment, but I may add it later. You can export to txt-format, however.

#5 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-27, 13:38

View PostKungsgeten, on 2015-April-27, 07:37, said:

I've possibly posted this too soon... It worked for me about an hour ago, but now I can't access it. Wierd.

You can not export your deals to pbn at the moment, but I may add it later. You can export to txt-format, however.

Sorry, that was meant more as a gripe at BBO than a suggestion. But that could be a cool feature to add at a later date. B-)
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#6 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-27, 15:12

Works for me. Let me know if you feel like giving it a go Ambrose. Seems to only be of any use if you have 'friends'.

#7 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-27, 16:10

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-April-27, 15:12, said:

Works for me. Let me know if you feel like giving it a go Ambrose. Seems to only be of any use if you have 'friends'.

Yes, it works for me too now. Hopefully it will stay that way :) Yes you have to have another player to bid with. Perhaps I should have called it Partners instead of Friends.

#8 User is offline   Trick13 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-27, 21:51

Looks good. Will it support the command tricks(compass, strain) in the future?

#9 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-April-27, 21:59

What i suggest is to have a default set of 24 board that we can all try without making scripts.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#10 User is offline   Trick13 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-27, 22:07

Seems you need to refresh your browser when partner is on-line.

#11 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-28, 03:50

Trick13: I've not used Dealer that much, but I'll look into it! Yes, at the moment the site does not auto-refresh, so you have to manually refresh. Still if you're both online at the same time, I would guess that BBO is better.

benlessard: That's a good idea, but I'm not sure how to implement it. I guess you want to try it out, without creating a set? You could just create a dummy set of boards, and then delete it afterwards.

I have a couple of things in mind, which I want to implement:

1. Optional e-mail notifications when one of your partners has finished bidding a set. Something like: "Your partner blablah has finished bidding the set Slamtime on CorrectContract.com, its your turn!"
2. A profile page where you can change nickname, password, e-mail etc. Possibly merge this with the current Friends-page.
3. The ability to copy a set of deals and send it to another pair of players, then show how both pairs bid and merge the chat messages so you can discuss.
4. Export into more formats

I'm not sure I will have the motivation/time to do all this, but I think it would be nice features.

Some things which I would really want to include, but probably won't because of the difficulties:

1. A simple AI which overcall etc. I have very limited experience in AI programming however :(
2. An online editor for you and your partner's system notes.

#12 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-April-29, 09:59

want to add that so far its working perfectly and my partner like it.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#13 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-29, 22:02

Would be nice to have some screenshots / no-login area to figure out how it works before registering or e.g. before setting up some common time with your partner to try the website (which sounds like a great idea, certainly).

#14 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-30, 06:42

View Postantonylee, on 2015-April-29, 22:02, said:

Would be nice to have some screenshots / no-login area to figure out how it works before registering or e.g. before setting up some common time with your partner to try the website (which sounds like a great idea, certainly).

Here's a screenshot of how it looks while bidding a hand:

Posted Image

Here's another screenshot which shows a finished set of hands (comments in Swedish, sorry about that):

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-30, 06:45

An now I just realized that those two bidding sequences in the last screenshot are pretty terrible :D

We tried out 1 as unbalanced 11-16 with no 5 card major and usually no 6+ minor (unless also holding a four card major). The 1NT response asks for longer/better minor and the 3C response is preemptive pass/correct.

#16 User is offline   cuqumber 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-May-01, 18:23

Think site is great. But one suggestions is too add whether declarer vulnerable or not for each board

#17 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 05:45

Have tried it. The website works reasonably well and the presentation is lovely. I anticipate that this will become popular, looking forward to adding some of my regular partners.

One small problem I encountered: I accidentally hit pass, and then didn't have the opportunity to undo this. I can see the rationale for not doing this (you've seen your partner's cards), but given that this isn't competitive anyway, does this matter?

#18 User is offline   raoz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-May-02, 11:44

Hi, it seems to work pretty well and is useful. One thing I personally would like, though, would be vulnerability indicators for those of us who vary their NT ranges and whatnot.

Thank you for a great tool.

#19 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 14:16

View Postraoz, on 2015-May-02, 11:44, said:

Hi, it seems to work pretty well and is useful. One thing I personally would like, though, would be vulnerability indicators for those of us who vary their NT ranges and whatnot.

Thank you for a great tool.

I was just about to say this. It should definitely include the vulnerabilities. And not just for different NT ranges. Not having them is really making me realise how wildly different my (non-competitive) bidding is at different vuls.

Yes, great site. Good job.

#20 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-02, 14:30

Website looks cool. But why is this in the "Non-Natural System" forum? Certainly, many who might ignore anything in the section would be interested.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users