Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

lead thin game

#1 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-26, 12:47

You're 54 up so opps might be swinging...

J543
J85
Aqj8

All vul

Pass on left, 1s from p, 3nt on right, you smack it. Your lead.

opp led a low heart which as you can see was monumentally unsuccessful. most people thought this was a terrible choice. i thought there was a bit of resulting going on and it was a very difficult decision.

don't bother commenting on the 3nt bid - we were trying to generate swings to get our imps back.

#2 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-26, 13:14

It's tough, if you lead the CA you might set up their 9th that way, but if you lead a spade (or a heart) they might run 9 on you when you had lots of cashing tricks. In a book it might be that the DJ is the only winning lead lol. On a spade lead partner might not find the right shift also if spade over club through is necessary (they will be pretty blind).

I would probably just lead the ace of clubs.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-26, 14:29

I reckon declarer has a source of tricks plus Spade guard (or 2)

The source of tricks is Diamonds.

If I were going to lead Clubs I think I would choose Queen. I don't expect Ace to crash singleton King, and I have no entries. If King is in dummy they may hold up a round

But I kind of fancy a heart.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-April-26, 15:57

I would just lead a spade but this basically seems like a guess between a spade and a club?
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#5 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-April-26, 15:58

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-April-26, 14:29, said:

If I were going to lead Clubs I think I would choose Queen. I don't expect Ace to crash singleton King, and I have no entries. If King is in dummy they may hold up a round

could just as easily be hearts
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-April-26, 19:51

View Postwank, on 2015-April-26, 12:47, said:

All vul 6 4 J 5 4 3 J 8 5 A Q J 8
You're 54 up so opps might be swinging...
Pass on left, 1s from p, 3nt on right, you smack it. Your lead.
IMO, 5 (Hoping to endplay RHO) = 10, 5 = 9, A = 8, 6 = 7.
RHO has, at best, something like
  • K x A A K Q x x x x K T x or
  • A Q x x A K Q x x x x K x or
  • x x x A x A K Q x x x x K x (a cunning bluff) or
  • AQ A K Q T x x x x x K x less likely
  • A J x A K Q x x x x x x x x in which case, you apologize for your lead.

#7 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-26, 23:00

View Posteagles123, on 2015-April-26, 15:58, said:

could just as easily be hearts

Could be hearts, but I double "just as easily". I have one more hearts than Diamonds, and if hearts is his source of tricks he may contemplate 4H as an alternative to 3N when he might not contemplate 5D.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#8 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-27, 10:49

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-April-26, 14:29, said:

The problem with leading the queen is that declarer could have something like A xx AKQTxxx Kxx, and now when you lead the queen the contract is cold, this has all the disadvantages of lead the A but none of the advantages. Whereas if you had led the ace you could now switch to hearts. I don't think a spade can be right, it could easily be that declarer has a positional holding but no good way of getting to dummy. It would suck to lead a spade if declarer had something like AQx x AKQTxxx Kx. I think I will just try a diamond and hope that declarer cannot cash. Could easily be wrong though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users