BBO Discussion Forums: Red save? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Red save? IMPs

Poll: What's your call? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your call?

1. 7S (9 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

2. Pass (22 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. Double (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-26, 05:23

IMPs. Your side is vulnerable against not. The auction has got high quickly. What now?

#2 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-26, 05:48

I guess that they are making and we are -800 or -1100.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#3 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-26, 07:48

Clubs seem to be behaving well for them, and I doubt the heart split will embarrass them, so I'll also guess they're making. I'm guessing we'll be more like -1100 or -1400, but I still like the odds.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#4 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-26, 09:40

Quite cool that you can construct the hands so confidently from the auction. South must have something like - HJxx Axx AKQJxx possibly moving one of the diamonds into another one of the suits. I feel like p must have some shortage to bid 4, so it is overwhelmingly likely that it will be in clubs.

So all we lose is: at most one trump trick, at most two diamond tricks and a club. On a lucky day the queen of diamonds is onside, or in partner's hand. Partner might even have a club void. We may not have a trump loser either. So to me that looks like -1100 on a bad day, -200 on a very good day (probably just a dream). I like those odds, and am willing to pay off to South not having their bid once in a while.

I would guess we normally go for 800. Can't really see how we go for more than 1100.

#5 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-26, 10:44

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-April-26, 09:40, said:

Quite cool that you can construct the hands so confidently from the auction. South must have something like - HJxx Axx AKQJxx possibly moving one of the diamonds into another one of the suits. I feel like p must have some shortage to bid 4, so it is overwhelmingly likely that it will be in clubs.

The problem is if partner has 4 hearts and the spade ace then 7H is down if that's the dummy.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#6 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-26, 10:46

Even without the spade ace if he just has Txxx of hearts then 7H is down if he leads a minor (as he should).

Edit: And of course it's always possible that partner has the Jxxx of hearts, I don't think anyone would criticize GSF with the same hand Kurt gave with no HJ.

edit again: sorry I miscounted the tricks, obviously if they have the spade ace they just have 13 tricks. I thought they needed 2 ruffs lol. So partner needs Txxx of hearts and the SA to beat it (or Jxxx of hearts).

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-26, 11:03

A rare case where the vul sac actually seems to make sense. It could work out poorly but I would be surprised if they are not making 7h well over 90% of the time (clubs breaking) and our max negative should be around 1100. We do indeed add some risk they may bid and make 7n but that is not a concern at IMPS. P may be hiding in the woods with a trump trick (they should not x for fear the opps will run to a making 7n) but unless it is a solid trump trick the opps will play p for the heart length if we bid 7s.

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-April-26, 11:58

View Postjallerton, on 2015-April-26, 05:23, said:

IMPs. Your side is vulnerable against not. The auction has got high quickly. What now?
IMO Pass = 10, 7 = 8. Double = 6. Josephine strikes back! :)
Possible drawbacks of sacrificing include:
  • You need confidence in opponents' bidding (e.g. 5N might have been intended as asking partner to pick a slam or make a graded response, perhaps distinguishing AK from KQ and AQ to length)
  • Partner might have slow trump trick ... or ... whatever.

#9 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-26, 12:51

I think the estimates of how down we will go in 7 are about right at 1100, but that people are severely underestimating the chances that 7 is going down. We have a diamond holding and partner has a potential heart holding. I am not going to just guess and save them from their guess.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#10 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-26, 14:04

Perhaps we should have doubled JOSEPHINE to suggest a desire to save, then leave it up to partner? Maybe that is too kenrexfordian though.

#11 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-April-26, 15:39

If 5 NT is the GSF, then South needs to have a high honor. GSF asks for partner to bid 7 with 2 high honors unless you play some graded responses to it.

I have some problems sacrificing at 7 , so I'm a passer.

If the bidding is as "clear" at our table, then I'd expect our partners to be in 7 also. But surely our partners ought to at least be in 6, which risks an 11 Imp swing at most.

I'm not sure exactly what partner has bid 4 on. If partner has complimentary distribution, then the losses in 7 may be acceptable. But, in that case, shortness in a minor might portend enough length in to defeat 7 . If partner has bid 4 on shortness, -1100 might be on the low side of the set we'll incur.

I share nige1's concern that 5 NT might have been misconstrued. That would be less so if the opponents at our table are a well established partnership of very good players.

If 7 goes down, I'm risking a potential big swing our way if our teammates correctly ascertain not to bid 7 (14 IMPs). Or, changing a no swing into a big swing to the opponents ( -50 and -1100 for 15 IMPS).

I think in the post mortem, it's easier to explain not finding the sac that gives away 10 IMPs, then taking a phantom sac loses 14 or 15 IMPs.

#12 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-26, 15:47

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-April-26, 10:46, said:

Even without the spade ace if he just has Txxx of hearts then 7H is down if he leads a minor (as he should).

Edit: And of course it's always possible that partner has the Jxxx of hearts, I don't think anyone would criticize GSF with the same hand Kurt gave with no HJ.

edit again: sorry I miscounted the tricks, obviously if they have the spade ace they just have 13 tricks. I thought they needed 2 ruffs lol. So partner needs Txxx of hearts and the SA to beat it (or Jxxx of hearts).

Declarer could also have a seventh club. Or have KJ of spades = a double dummy trump squeeze.

edited: obviously double trump squeeze fails as the KJ of spades would need to be in dummy.

#13 User is offline   echo25 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-27, 00:56

IMHO double is a joke.

#14 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-28, 16:02

7s no question

#15 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-01, 06:49

It would be cool if we doubled and their trump suit was AK8xx vs QTxx, but I'm just bidding 7S.
Wayne Somerville

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users