BBO Discussion Forums: Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-25, 14:02

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

I find several aspects of this auction puzzling, namely:

1. Why doesn't North raise 2NT directly to 3NT? We're forced to that level, North has a weak hand with a lousy suit and stoppers in the unbids. Where is it trying to go with its 3 bid? A precisely bid 4 contract that will get us a 0?

2. Why does my 3 bid show 3-card support at this point in the auction? Shouldn't there be a mechanism for showing strong doubleton support at this point? I could have showed 3 card support in a number of ways over North's 2 rebid (e.g., raising to 3 or 4 or splintering).

3. Why does North cue bid with its terrible, terrible hand? Surely this is the point where North must bid 3NT. With all this bidding, shouldn't South now expect North to have a very good hand?

4. Why does North "correct" to 6? North knows that I have only 3s, but it also knows that I have 4, and on this auction it should sound to North like it will be necessary to rough at least 1 in South. Holding 9xxxx North has to know that even if I have AKQ this will promote a trump trick for East-West. It should also know that a 4-4 fit almost always plays a trick better than a 5-3 fit, particularly when the contract is a close one. Isn't simming supposed to figure these things out?

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-25, 14:08

Nitpicky, but...
2 description includes "12+ HCP". 2N description includes "13-18 HCP". So, would 3N instead of 2N have shown exactly 12 HPC, and balanced 19+ HCP hands would have done something different?

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-25, 14:28

View Postuva72uva72, on 2015-April-25, 14:02, said:

1. Why doesn't North raise 2NT directly to 3NT? We're forced to that level, North has a weak hand with a lousy suit and stoppers in the unbids. Where is it trying to go with its 3 bid? A precisely bid 4 contract that will get us a 0?
Maybe he's not willing to give up on slam in diamonds. Is it not possible that you hold x, AKxxx, QJxx, KQx, which is only 15 HCP on your 13-18 range?

2. Why does my 3 bid show 3-card support at this point in the auction? Shouldn't there be a mechanism for showing strong doubleton support at this point? I could have showed 3 card support in a number of ways over North's 2 rebid (e.g., raising to 3 or 4 or splintering).
I agree that 2N should deny three spades. I'm not at all sure what I think 3 should be.

3. Why does North cue bid with its terrible, terrible hand? Surely this is the point where North must bid 3NT. With all this bidding, shouldn't South now expect North to have a very good hand?
See the description of 3, which includes 16+ total points and 3 spades. GIB still has some reasonable hope of slam, based on this misunderstanding.

4. Why does North "correct" to 6? North knows that I have only 3s, but it also knows that I have 4, and on this auction it should sound to North like it will be necessary to rough at least 1 in South. Holding 9xxxx North has to know that even if I have AKQ this will promote a trump trick for East-West. It should also know that a 4-4 fit almost always plays a trick better than a 5-3 fit, particularly when the contract is a close one. Isn't simming supposed to figure these things out?
Once GIB thinks you've agreed spades, he's never going to agree to play diamonds. This is an often-discussed issue. Simming must have given GIB a headache, since he thinks you have 8+ cards in the majors, precisely QJTx in diamonds to be "biddable" without having been bid earlier, and a stopper in clubs without holding the A.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-April-25, 16:24

3 by responder is like 99.9% 2 in my opinion otherwise using 2 as potentially 5-card minimum is unplayable. (responder with 3 has to raise rd 2.)

My pet peave Gib is using pts for it's singleton in your suit (not that useful) to scounge up enough to make 14+ pts and a 4 cuebid. The Walrus would be proud.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-25, 22:19

Generally speaking,3 by responder usually shows doubleton support with one top card in it.
I think here its explanation is wrong.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users