BBO Discussion Forums: Defense to 5D - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defense to 5D MP Sims

Poll: Defense to 5D (4 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you play at trick 3?

1. spade (4 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. heart (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. club ace (0 votes [0.00%])

4. club small (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-25, 09:52

This hand came up in a SIMs night on Thursday. Ignore your choices in the bidding as East, I was declaring it, but it seemed like a pretty interesting problem. What do you lead now at trick 3?

Bonus question if you lead back a spade:
Spoiler

Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-25, 15:01

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-April-25, 09:52, said:

This hand came up in a SIMs night on Thursday. Ignore your choices in the bidding as East, I was declaring it, but it seemed like a pretty interesting problem. What do you lead now at trick 3?

Bonus question if you lead back a spade:
Spoiler

If declarer has a void in clubs he should be 3=3=7=0 and has misplayed the hand, but admittedly this is not obvious.
From declarer's point of view you are marked with the ace of clubs and the heart switch looks like a singleton.
Win in dummy play the king of clubs which East must cover, draw two rounds of trumps ending in dummy, ruff another club, discard one club on the king of spades, ruff a spade and play the J and discard a heart.
West must give you a ruff and discard.
So declarer will not loose any heart trick.
From East perspective no point in assuming the contract to be cold
Accordingly assume declarer to be 3=2=7=1
If declarer has the singleton Q you are subject to a simple squeeze in hearts and clubs if you do not cash your ace of clubs at trick 3.

Rainer Herrmann

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-27, 06:21

My instinct was the CA as well, but something doesn't add up here - if he has seven diamonds, why hasn't South overcalled on the first round? Feels like we're playing for a very specific layout, something like xxx xx KQJ10xxx Q in South (add any of the top spades and surely he bids 3D).

I think I want to know some more about opponents' defensive methods to Multi. Perhaps South thought a delayed X was stronger than an initial X or something. If there's any chance South is 3361 then I want to play a heart for a ruff - though it's odd that he ducked the heart in that case.

Spoiler

(Also should we not have bid 2S rather than 2H, with such great heart preference?)

ahydra

#4 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-27, 06:52

View Postahydra, on 2015-April-27, 06:21, said:

I think I want to know some more about opponents' defensive methods to Multi. Perhaps South thought a delayed X was stronger than an initial X or something. If there's any chance South is 3361 then I want to play a heart for a ruff - though it's odd that he ducked the heart in that case.

(Also should we not have bid 2S rather than 2H, with such great heart preference?)

Nothing too fancy, double over 2D would have been 12-15 balanced, with everything else natural. After 2D-P, all doubles are takeout (if 4th seat doubles, it is takeout assuming they have hit the suit).

As for East's first bid, even 2S is pretty feeble imo. The handout we were given suggests that over a multi, East should bid whatever shows a willingness to play partner's suit at the 4 level.
Wayne Somerville

#5 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-01, 12:36

Full hand:

East tried to cash the ace of clubs, leading to an easy 11 tricks.
Wayne Somerville

#6 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-04, 17:51

I completely discounted any layout where partner has led an unsupported ace of a suit dummy has shown shortness in rather than leading his stiff through dummy after I have doubled them in 5D.

I don't feel bad about that decision.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#7 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-May-04, 23:39

Also It would help if East bid 2S or even 3S instead of 2H.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-05, 11:21

View Postbenlessard, on 2015-May-04, 23:39, said:

Also It would help if East bid 2S or even 3S instead of 2H.

I would bid neither of those, I would get to game.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#9 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-May-05, 20:59

Because of the 2H bid I took 2D as a weak preempt but if they used 2M as something like 5M+5m and 2D could be a decent preempt, than i agree ill make at least a game try.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users