BBO Discussion Forums: Nat Pairs 3 - a question during the auction - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nat Pairs 3 - a question during the auction EBU

#1 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-22, 08:09

1NT (announced) was 12-14, 2 (alerted) showed a single-suited hand with a major, unsuited for a penalty double. 2NT (alerted) showed clubs.

Before passing, South asked West about the 2NT and was told it was a transfer to clubs.

Result: 4(N)=, lead Q, NS +420 (37/48 MPs)

Part 1: My colleague was called at the end of play to query North's 4 call after the question asked by South.

Do you see anything untoward?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-22, 08:27

I think the actual South hand confirms that a question about an alerted call does not suggest anything in particular. Maybe South was just being ethical and wanted to avoid transmitting the UI from sometimes asking, sometimes not asking.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-22, 08:48

If they alwyas ask then surely they would mention this to the TD, and He would have reported it in the OP.

I also am far from convinced that we can use the actual hand as proof of what is or isn't suggested.

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-22, 09:26

IMO when a player is alerted, it is his turn to call, and he properly asks the meaning of the alerted call --- we need to answer the question without exploring for motive merely because a player exercised his right.

The burden should not be on the player to show that he always asks. Absent evidence that he provides UI by asking or not asking, the subject should not even be addressed.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-April-22, 13:08

So asking a question about alert coveys UI? Can't someone just ask so they will be ready if the auction develops they might need to take action. Doesn't that also means when a person doesn't ask that conveys UI that partner if in doubt should pass?! It's just silly, it's natural to ask what an alert means.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-April-22, 14:01

View PostVixTD, on 2015-April-22, 08:09, said:

1NT (announced) was 12-14, 2 (alerted) showed a single-suited hand with a major, unsuited for a penalty double. 2NT (alerted) showed clubs. Before passing, South asked West about the 2NT and was told it was a transfer to clubs. Result: 4(N)=, lead Q, NS +420 (37/48 MPs). Part 1: My colleague was called at the end of play to query North's 4 call after the question asked by South. Do you see anything untoward?
When partner asks or doesn't ask a question about an alerted call, he transmits UI, unless he always asks or never asks. Some jurisdictions seem to adopt an ostrich-like policy about such UI. In contrast, the EBU blue book (as quoted in recent threads) warns players about asking a question, lest it impose UI constraints on partner. IMO, the actual hand held by the asker should certainly be irrelevant to any resultant ruling.

Director interpretations vary. SBU directors made different rulings in two recent similar cases. One was at the Scottish trials:

(South opened 2 alerted). West doubled. (North raised to 4). East asked about the opening bid.
(South passed). West doubled, passed out.
4X was two down. Declarer called the director. The director adjusted to 4 undoubled -2. The doubler held a flat 16 count. The questioner held a flat 5-count (not that it matters).

Law simplifications have been suggested, which would mitigate this (and other) kinds of problem.

#7 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-22, 16:35

View Postnige1, on 2015-April-22, 14:01, said:

Director interpretations vary. SBU directors made different rulings in two recent similar cases. One was at the Scottish trials:

I don't think the Scottish trials case is similar at all. It is fairly normal to ask about the call just made, if it is alerted. It is much more unusual to ask about a call from earlier in the auction.

In contrast, the EBU blue book (as quoted in recent threads) warns players about asking a question, lest it impose UI constraints on partner.

What the Blue Book actually says is:

"A player has the right to ask questions at his turn to call or play, but exercising this right may have consequences. If a player shows unusual interest in one or more calls of the auction, then this may give rise to unauthorised information. His partner must avoid taking advantage. It may be in a player’s interests to defer questions until either he is about to make the opening lead or his partner’s lead is face-down on the table."

IMO the case in OP does not show unusual interest, but your Scottish case does.

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-April-22, 17:26

View Postcampboy, on 2015-April-22, 16:35, said:

I don't think the Scottish trials case is similar at all. It is fairly normal to ask about the call just made, if it is alerted. It is much more unusual to ask about a call from earlier in the auction.
During the auction, in Scotland, you should not ask about an alerted call, until it's your turn to bid.

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-April-22, 18:20

View Postnige1, on 2015-April-22, 17:26, said:

During the auction, in Scotland, you should not ask about an alerted call, until it's your turn to bid.

That's true everywhere. Law 20F1.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#10 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-22, 19:40

View Postnige1, on 2015-April-22, 14:01, said:

...IMO, the actual hand held by the asker should certainly be irrelevant to any resultant ruling...

IMO, the actual hand held by the asker should certainly be relevant to any resultant ruling.

IMO, it's utterly unreasonable to assert that the question suggests bidding 4 when the evidence we have is that the asker asks on what looks like a one-count with no particular fit. My recollection is that "demonstrably" in 16B1a was intended to be a stronger replacement for the previous "reasonably"; that is the laws tell us not to be unreasonable in penalizing imaginary suggestions.

#11 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-23, 00:46

Say now that South would have had 7 HCPs instead of 3. Would we all have agreed that the question didn't give (significant) UI? Or woould some of us have said that the question indicated that South wanted to bid something?

Just curious...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#12 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-23, 00:56

View PostAardv, on 2015-April-22, 19:40, said:

IMO, the actual hand held by the asker should certainly be relevant to any resultant ruling.

IMO, it's utterly unreasonable to assert that the question suggests bidding 4 when the evidence we have is that the asker asks on what looks like a one-count with no particular fit. My recollection is that "demonstrably" in 16B1a was intended to be a stronger replacement for the previous "reasonably"; that is the laws tell us not to be unreasonable in penalizing imaginary suggestions.

So in your opinion a player may by asking or not asking a question (made according to L20f5) inform his partner whether or not he has a hand "justifying" such question?

Fine. The next time I want to locate a particular card I shall take into account whether an opponent likely to have asked if holding that card did or die not ask. And if this results in an unfortunate choice by me I shall request redress? Will that be OK With you?

I think I stick with the rule that a general question about an auction as a whole or about an alerted call is hardly ever considered to pass UI.

#13 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-April-23, 02:04

He asks if he has a queen and a jack but doesn't ask if he has more? Or is it something like:

0-2 hcp: "what does it mean."
3-5 hcp: "what does it mean?"
6-8 hcp: "what does it mean?!"
9-11 hcp:"what does it mean?!?"

(adjust the ranges with significant length in both majors)

EW saw dummy, right? Maybe they did not realize that all 3 hcp's were essentially wasted in S's hand, but really what they should have been doing is commending S for ethically asking with his complete garbage of a hand and not wasting the TD's time.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#14 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-April-23, 02:09

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-April-23, 00:46, said:

Say now that South would have had 7 HCPs instead of 3. Would we all have agreed that the question didn't give (significant) UI? Or woould some of us have said that the question indicated that South wanted to bid something?

Just curious...

Rik

It depends on S right? In your case it is unclear what the tendencies of that S player are. In this case it is crystal clear.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#15 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-23, 03:24

View Postnige1, on 2015-April-22, 17:26, said:

Obviously I meant "It is fairly normal for the player whose turn it is to ask about the call just made, if it is alerted." That is the situation in OP. I agree that if North had immediately asked about the meaning of 2NT, that would be both illegal and unusual.

It is unusual for anyone to ask about a call from earlier in the auction, as in the Scottish case.

#16 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-23, 07:32

When asked by the TD why he had asked about the 2NT bid, South said he wanted to know if it was forcing or not. If it wasn't forcing, he was going to double to show his high card. (We didn't ever manage to work out which card he was talking about.)

A poll of players had them all bidding 4 (if they hadn't already done so a round earlier), so no score change.

Part 2: East isn't finished. He now claims that the question asked by South put him off bidding 5 over 4, so he wants an adjusted score on that basis (he suggests a split score, allowing NS to keep theirs for 4).

Any takers?

#17 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-April-23, 07:41

View PostVixTD, on 2015-April-23, 07:32, said:

Part 2: East isn't finished. He now claims that the question asked by South put him off bidding 5 over 4, so he wants an adjusted score on that basis (he suggests a split score, allowing NS to keep theirs for 4).

Any takers?

what's his point? That South appears to have values which may be finessable honours so that 5 could easily be a phantom? This is really very far fetched. I bet, if E had actually bid 5 and it had worked badly, he would have said that it was South's question that made him do it.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-April-23, 10:10

View Postpran, on 2015-April-23, 00:56, said:

Fine. The next time I want to locate a particular card I shall take into account whether an opponent likely to have asked if holding that card did or die not ask. And if this results in an unfortunate choice by me I shall request redress? Will that be OK With you?

The Laws specifically say that you take inferences from the opponents actions at your own risk. So unless you can show that they could have known that their choice of whether to ask or not would deceive you, there's no redress.

#19 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-23, 10:24

So in your opinion a player may by asking or not asking a question (made according to L20f5) inform his partner whether or not he has a hand "justifying" such question?

20F5? But yes, obviously that's possible - 20F1 "Law 16 may apply", or see 73B1 which forbids it.

EBU White Book said:

8.16.9 Law 16B: Unauthorised information from partner [WBFLC]
The committee noted extensive correspondence concerning unauthorised information derived from a question asked following an alert. […] Such unauthorised information can arise.
[WBFLC minutes 2001-10-30#8]

A question about the meaning of a call (even of an alerted call) may provide unauthorised information to partner.

If I were the TD, I suppose I would not object to your attempt to draw my attention to something you believed to be an irregularity. As a player, I hope I would keep my (impolite) views to myself.

As regards a ruling on your request: it seems to me that this inference is not covered by 73D or 73F. So you keep your table result.

I think I stick with the rule that a general question about an auction as a whole or about an alerted call is hardly ever considered to pass UI.

It usually doesn't. My point was that the actual hand of the asker is useful evidence when we're considering a possible exception to that.

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-April-23, 00:46, said:

In that case I'd want the TD to make further enquiries...

When asked by the TD why he had asked about the 2NT bid, South said he wanted to know if it was forcing or not. If it wasn't forcing, he was going to double to show his high card. (We didn't ever manage to work out which card he was talking about.)

A poll of players had them all bidding 4 (if they hadn't already done so a round earlier), so no score change.

So unexpectedly we learn that the question did in fact show values (and also that South is mad). But a poll supports North's actions anyway, good job by the TD.

And perhaps a golden unicorn thrown in. He can't have one.

#20 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-23, 10:49

View Postbarmar, on 2015-April-23, 10:10, said:

The Laws specifically say that you take inferences from the opponents actions at your own risk. So unless you can show that they could have known that their choice of whether to ask or not would deceive you, there's no redress.

Not exactly. Law 73F says:

When a violation of the Proprieties described in this law results in damage to an innocent opponent, if the Director determines that an innocent player
has drawn a false inference from a remark, manner, tempo, or the like, of an opponent who has no demonstrable bridge reason for the action, and who
could have known, at the time of the action, that the action could work to his benefit, the Director shall award an adjusted score (see Law 12C).

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users