Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pass 1NT?

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-21, 10:35

DBL by partner was transfer (can be with 4-4 majors; or 4cH and longer D)
I thought that 2 was clear. I prefer to show my 6cC asap.
My partner said that 2 is weaker (10-11) and that I should pass (and pass again if he DBLs 1NT).

At what vulnerability or scoring would you pass after this bidding (and pass again if partner DBLs 1NT)?

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 10:47

2c is fine.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-April-21, 10:55

I can't imagine not bidding 2.

Why on earth does your partner assume that this hand is all about what to do if he reopens? Does he have a magical way of forcing your LHO to pass 1N?

Imagine, unlikely tho it may seem to your partner, that LHO has long diamonds....and chooses to bid.....2!

Now, imagine your partner is 3=5=2=3. Is that inconsistent with the auction? Should you be competing to 3? Whose job is it to realize we have a 9 card club fit? How does passing 1N accomplish that?

Not to mention, if he thinks 2 is weakness (I disagree....it is definitely not 'strong', but that doesn't make it 'weak'...valuation is not binary), well, you have a weak hand! No fit for partner, the diamond Q hasn't really gone up in value on the auction, and even with it you have only 12 hcp.

I expect somehow that 2 led to a result that your partner considered to be poor and that he was looking to blame someone, and your partner is a result merchant and maybe worse.....someone who projects blame onto partner after making a poor decision.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 11:14

There are times when one must reevaluate depending on the bidding. Your dia Q has significantly less value than it did when you first opened. If your p feels that a immediate 2c bid shows 11-12 merely apologize and say you erroneously discounted the dia Q and then they are happy to have won the argument and you can move on to more significant problems. Who knows? maybe they will look at what you did and learn something.

2c

All day long all vul no matter imps or MP. I am much closer to bidding 3c (preempt) than I am of anything else just too darn flat and since there is still a chance at 44 spades I will not go any higher at this time.

#5 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-April-21, 11:26

2 WTP?

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-April-21, 11:54

resulter alert!
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users