• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead?

#21 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-22, 14:04

View Postnige1, on 2015-April-22, 13:18, said:

John McLaren admonished his partners "You don't have a license to lead trumps, which he dubbed "the idiots' lead" :( That might be going to far but sometimes it's a lazy lead :)

Hmpf...and my K scores a 5 and the "lazy trump lead" scores a 6 :P?

#22 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-April-22, 17:20

View Postnige1, on 2015-April-22, 13:18, said:

John McLaren admonished his partners "You don't have a license to lead trumps, which he dubbed "the idiots' lead" :( That might be going to far but sometimes it's a lazy lead :)

How often and I giving up a trump trick when I lead from Jxxx around to a weak 2 opener?

#23 User is offline   Richardrls 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-22, 20:02

All bridge leads are suit driven, and the choice of suit is dependent on the objective to be achieved. This objective or objectives are simply based on the four kinds of contracts that one defends. the Hand in question is being led to a trump contract below the slam level. therefore the first decision to make is whether a trump should be led. In this bidding, dummy made no trump bid, thereby ruling out the lead of a trump. The means a choice should be made between the lead of a long suit for dink purposes versus a short suit lead for ruffing purposes. Given the six card nature of the open, the chance for a dink, say in spades, is quite remote. It therefore falls to leading the king from king doubleton. The think it has going for it that as a short suit lead , the lead of a doubleton is quite fine for low level contracts. In this case all that is needed for success is for partner to hold the ace of clubs. Hope this helps.

#24 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-April-22, 21:19

View Postfoobar, on 2015-April-22, 14:04, said:

Hmpf...and my K scores a 5 and the "lazy trump lead" scores a 6 :P?
Just my opinion. I assume one motive for the K lead is to score ruffs, which seems unnecessary with a probable trump trick. The trump lead may sacrifice a trick and a tempo, so maybe it's worse. I like neither lead.

#25 User is offline   jmagicd2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-23, 09:34

View Postlaserxox, on 2015-April-22, 12:50, said:

ONE SAFE LEAD OF WINNING THAT TRICK IS TO PLAY THE ACE. YOUR PARTNER WILL GIVE YOU A SIGNAL.

Partner is a robot. GIB doesn't signal.

#26 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-April-23, 12:15

Small spade, without hesitation.

#27 User is offline   case_no_6 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-23, 16:54

King of clubs. Nothing is clear or certain, and available inferences are hardly strong, but partner did not balance with 2!s or Dbl. That reduces the chances to find partner with length or strength in spades. So it is between diamonds and clubs. Leading the king is safer than leading a diamond since you need less from partner to make it not cost. What's more the potential payoff is greater. Your shorter length means increased likelihood of multiple tricks in the suit.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users