Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 clubs, stoppers, 50-pt deck?

#1 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-20, 15:59

Another hand from Sunday... all green my partner deals ans opens a weak 2S (6-10, 6 cards, supposedly). RHO bids 3H, now what :

Jx
KTx
(Void)
AKQJTxxx

I decided 3NT (after all, p could have a D honor), planning to run if blood starts to appear.

Then it goes 4D on the left (nat, lead directing with fit?? not alerted), pass from partner and 4S (D fit plus control). Ok my gambling is exposed although they dont know whether it was a psyche with a fit or better. Now what?

In the PM we let them play 6D undoubled -2 (p had Qxx, scored a S and I made my HK).

Btw, what is better with RHO hand (definitely too weak for a leaping Mikl):
Axx
AQJxx
Jxxxx
(Void)

#2 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 16:17

Matchpoint events i forgot

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 18:52

p weak 2 spades and your dia void means the opps are huge favorites to have a ten+ card dia fit (that they have not found as of yet). Instead of taking the road less travelled (ie 3n with no reason to assume you will not get hammered even w/o x) let's try to take a tactical bid that takes advantage of the bidding.

5c

This bid has a number of advantages. First there is no way to practically search for slam with our hand. Second there is essentially zero chance 4s is our best contract so 5c represents our best shot at making game. third this bid takes up huge room which will make it very tough for the opps to do anything intelligent. They might compete to 5h but they probably have almost no chance to bid dia.

This is IMPS so we have given our side the best shot at game and even down the loss should be small. We may very well have caused the opps to miss game and probably kept them out of their best suit. That's a lot of reward for not much risk.

#4 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-April-20, 22:02

I'm bidding 5 also. I agree with gszes's thinking even at MPs.

3 NT is a huge gamble with a void. It could get really ugly if the opponents rattle off 5 or 6 tricks. A highly competent LHO with a running suit might well pass 3 NT knowing you are in a bad spot rather than Double and give you a chance to escape. Partner has s, RHO has s, so LHO is likely to have the s. Also, with 8 , there's no guarantee partner has any s either.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users