BBO Discussion Forums: Slam Bidding with GIB - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Slam Bidding with GIB Fool me once...

#1 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-April-20, 15:45

I just had this hand, and I refused to let GIB talk me into bidding beyond game:

http://tinyurl.com/msd7ykj

I had all of the controls in the world, and a clear maximum for my bidding (except the lack of a third trump), so I could not justify not making the first cue bid. But when GIB cue bid back at me (in a suit where I had the Ace), I refused to cue bid again. Fortunately, this ended the auction, and 11 tricks was the limit on a club lead.

Why would GIB make a cue bid on Qxxx? Surely the singleton diamond is a better cue bid, assuming that the hand is good enough to cue bid at all.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-April-20, 19:10

Why indeed? You've limited your hand. Simple math says a slam is very very unlikely. Any cuebid at all is bizarre. Very strange usually it's hard to get Gib to cuebid.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 00:02

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-April-20, 19:10, said:

Why indeed? You've limited your hand. Simple math says a slam is very very unlikely. Any cuebid at all is bizarre. Very strange usually it's hard to get Gib to cuebid.

I'd say its mixed up its natural bid with cue bid alerts- its absurd that it doesn't bid 3 first.

#4 User is offline   crazy4hoop 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-21, 12:24

I had the misfortune of attempting to drive to slam opposite my GIB partner's overcall of 2 over 2. Since I had a void (in clubs) I started by cue bidding (3) to show a limit raise or better and then over the expected signoff I cue bid 4 as I had the Ace. Then over GIB's 4NT keycard ask I bid 5NT to show an even number of keycards and a void somewhere. GIB decided the intelligent thing to do here was pass with 2 small diamonds. Fortunately my void was clubs and I had AJ10 of diamonds so this contract made on the spade finesse. Unfortunately 6 relied on the same winning finesse.

Come to think of it I think that is the 2nd time I had this happen so I should have known better, as OP started to say, "Fool me once..."

From now on I'm just answering keycards and ignoring the void until the next alleged upgrade occurs.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users