2h from p
4s on right
Back to p who doubles

Your hand
Jx
Kxx
Xxxx
Ktxx

Your bid? Noone agrees with me heh. Posted by phone so please no whining about the non diagram.

2nd question, would you double (or have doubled 1s originally) with p's actual hand:-

X
Ajtxx
Axx
Aqxx

#2 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-20, 13:13

Oh yes imps btw

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-April-20, 13:14

View Postwank, on 2015-April-20, 13:09, said:

Vul against not. Your hand J x K x x X x x x K t x x
(1) 2 (4) _P
(_P) _D (_P) ??
IMO Pass = 10, 4N = 9, 5 = 8.

#4 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-20, 13:58

View Postwank, on 2015-April-20, 13:09, said:

Vul against not
1S from lho
2h from p
4s on right
Back to p who doubles

Your hand
Jx
Kxx
Xxxx
Ktxx

Your bid? Noone agrees with me heh. Posted by phone so please no whining about the non diagram.

4NT 2 places to play. Remove 5m to 5.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-April-20, 14:27

I bid 5 as a 2 way shot.

There are no guarantees, but as little as x AQxxxx AQx QJx makes 5 odds on with the auction as it was. Meanwhile, give them 5-5 spades (or an 11 card fit) and they only need a little shape to get out for 100. They could even make, tho I don't expect it.

Btw, I do acknowledge the careful club J on my example hand :P I am not claiming that we will 'usually' make 11 tricks, but when we don't, I expect to lose 5 imps if they defend at the other table, and when/if we make, I expect to win 11 imps, and at those odds, declaring is best. Of course, there is some chance of 300 but as the chances of 300 increase, so too does the chance of our making, at least imo.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 14:28

View Postwanoff, on 2015-April-20, 13:58, said:

4NT 2 places to play. Remove 5m to 5.

What is the point of offering other places to play, if I am going to pull them to 5 anyway?

I just bid 5. Vul against not at IMPS, problem seems designed to make me do that, which probably means it is wrong Posted Image
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#7 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-April-20, 14:52

View Postbillw55, on 2015-April-20, 14:28, said:

What is the point of offering other places to play, if I am going to pull them to 5 anyway?

It's a slam try. Which I consider quite ludicrous.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#8 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 14:54

View Postmikeh, on 2015-April-20, 14:27, said:

There are no guarantees, but as little as x AQxxxx AQx QJx makes 5 odds on with the auction as it was.

Agreed, and that hand is a very debatable double to say the least. I think if posted on here most people would not X with that hand.

I fully expect 5H to make, this X often has a spade void in which case they will probably bid 5S.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 15:22

Ok 2nd question, would you double (or have doubled 1s originally) with p's actual hand:-

X
Ajtxx
Axx
Aqxx

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-April-20, 15:38

View Postwank, on 2015-April-20, 15:22, said:

Ok 2nd question, would you double (or have doubled 1s originally) with p's actual hand:-

X
Ajtxx
Axx
Aqxx

I would double immediately.

While I will overcall 2/1 with a 5 card suit, I tend/prefer to have 6 or a better 5 card suit than this, plus I have good minors.

There is no one factor that plays into the double or overcall issue, but putting together all of the factors, I prefer a double. Yes, we will sometimes/often miss hearts, and hearts are important, but this hand isn't all about hearts.

Of course, to get a more objective answer would have required waiting a few weeks and then posting the hand as a 1st round problem. Not a complaint, since I understand why you did it this way, but an observation that you may not be getting reliable feedback..including from me.

Having overcalled, I can see the temptation to double, but this isn't the playing hand that double implies. In fact, I'd be more comfortable with x AJ10xxx Axx AQx. That 6th heart is a full trick if partner pulls, and he will/should pull quite often. Note that it wouldn't be a defensive surprise.....partner will or should always infer that you hold a 6 card suit in this situation. Plus, if he does have minor length, holding AQx in clubs is better defensively than AQxx and usually almost as good offensively. If he runs to clubs he will always have at least 5 of them and may have 6. The downside is when he runs to 4N and we are 1=6=3=3.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 15:49

X
Ajtxx
Axx
Aqxx

I would have bid 2H originally, narrowly, as losing 5-3 hearts seems the biggest downside for double. I would double now, of course - what else? On the six-count, I do not expect to make 5H that often, and would pass, as I am pretty sure 4S is not making. The law suggests that we have 8 or 9 hearts and they have probably 10 spades, so the 5-level is fraught. The 2H bidder may have a sixth heart and/or a void spade, but we might still fail in 5H. +300 may be the best we can do here, and 5H might have a nasty trump queen guess.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#12 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 16:17

I would maybe have been brave and made a responsive double which partner might be happy to pass with his three aces. 5 wouldn't occur to me
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 16:29

X
Ajtxx
Axx
Aqxx

I double 1. This tells partner a lot more than overcalling 2. The downside is that we'll occasionally miss a 5-3 fit, but we'll also miss some 5-2 and 5-1 fits; double makes it much easier to get to other strains.

#14 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 06:15

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-April-20, 14:52, said:

It's a slam try. Which I consider quite ludicrous.

Hm yes, well, that definitely never occurred to me on these cards.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#15 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-22, 10:09

personally i have no problem with 2h originally, but once you've done that, i think you have to let 4s go. you don't have enough offence to invite p to the 5 level which i would accept with the original hand.

5h was smacked for 500 against 4s-1

#16 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-22, 11:09

I don't have a strong opinion about Norths 2H bid. 2H/Double are both fine for me.

South's choice on the second round is also close, but against aggressive opponents I would lean towards pass. The decision is close enough that if my opponents were conservative (e.g. always have a 10/11 card fit for this auction, won't double us much in 5H, a reasonable chance to bid 5 over 5 etc.) I would bid. At these colours, I want my partner to double 4S on many maximum overcalls with sharp cards like [Ax ATxxxx AKx Qx] and as a result I'd rather be conservative in response.

#17 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-22, 13:12

View Postwank, on 2015-April-22, 10:09, said:

personally i have no problem with 2h originally, but once you've done that, i think you have to let 4s go. you don't have enough offence to invite p to the 5 level which i would accept with the original hand.

5h was smacked for 500 against 4s-1

I have changed my view on the original 2H after reading jallerton's post, and think double initially is a bit better, but I think the real problem was that partner pulled the "action?" double of 4S on the hand you gave. Did you agree with the 5H bid? I reckon that both 4S and 5H are going off over 80% of the time on a rough sim.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2015-April-22, 14:23

View Postlamford, on 2015-April-22, 13:12, said:

I have changed my view on the original 2H after reading jallerton's post, and think double initially is a bit better, but I think the real problem was that partner pulled the "action?" double of 4S on the hand you gave. Did you agree with the 5H bid? I reckon that both 4S and 5H are going off over 80% of the time on a rough sim.

The argument tends to become circular. If I were the overcaller, 5 would have excellent play. Justin 'fully expects it to make'.

However, if you would overcall on a 5 card suit and then double with what appears to me to be a borderline hand (being generous), then, yes, 5 will fail much of the time.

So: if you think the overcall on the actual hand was reasonable, convert the double. If not, pull. I pull.

#19 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-22, 22:53

mikeh writes swell. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users