Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Invite?

#1 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-19, 15:43

Hi all, quick question that arose in a tourney this afternoon (MP for it mattrs). All red, dealer with

JT9xx
xx
AJ
Axxx

Not having a 2S 5-4 option, you pass and pard opens with 1H (5cM). Opps silent all way long, the bidding goes 1S 1NT (balanced min).

Can you rate now pass, 2S signoff, and 2C artif (ask for number of S and strengh rather 12 or rather 14). Over a fitted max, what would you do then ?

The fact that it is MP and that you are a passed hand influence you but up to where?

Thanks all!

And apologies for not knowing how to make nice diagrams...

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-April-19, 16:14

If balanced minimum means 12-14 HCP, then you have a combined 22-24 HCP. I see no reason to upgrade this hand much - JT9xx is nice but AJ is awful. Easy pass IMHO.

I assume you're only asking because partner had some magic hand like KQx AKxxx Qxxx x?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-April-19, 17:07

View Postapollo1201, on 2015-April-19, 15:43, said:

Hi all, quick question that arose in a tourney this afternoon (MP for it matters).
All red, dealer with J T 9 x x x x A J A x x x
Not having a 2S 5-4 option, you pass and pard opens with 1H (5cM). Opps silent all way long, the bidding goes 1S 1NT (balanced min). Can you rate now pass, 2S signoff, and 2C artif (ask for number of S and strengh rather 12 or rather 14). Over a fitted max, what would you do then? The fact that it is MP and that you are a passed hand influence you but up to where?
IMO
  • At MPs, Pass = 10, 2 (Art) = 9.
  • At imps, 2 = 10, Pass = 9.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-19, 18:46

Unless you are masochist and love to play 2 NT frequently at MP, it is an easy pass despite the fact that it looks close, imo. And even if it is making game, you will probably receive close to an average score, when taking tricks is no brainer. But if the game is making with a decent play, you will receive a very good score even in 1 NT by performing the required play for this hand.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-19, 23:34

If you raise to 1S to 2S with 3 card support (and a suit oriented hand) then i'm confident passing this hand.

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 05:38

I would never pass this assuming partner showed 2-3 spades with 1NT. It is close between 2 and 2, I think I would pick 2. I don't understand any system that ends in 2NT

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 06:04

It takes a lot of pessimism to pass with this hand. Your partner knows you are a passed hand and they will have a tendency to be a tad more cautious than usual since there is no slam upside to consider. Your p did open the bidding opposite your passed hand and they probably had a good reason for doing so : Kxx Kxxxx Kx Kxx does not look too appealing opposite a passed hand:(.

With the solidity of the spade suit I actually prefer 2s vs passing 1N. There is indeed a risk of ending up in 2n while trying for game but since p will rarely open cruddy minimum hands opposite a passed hand the risk of going down is significantly reduced.

IMHO 2c = 10 2s = 6 p = 4.

#8 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-20, 09:01

I would pass.
Partner didnt pass 1 which he would often with 12-14 bal and 3 card support. So he either has some supermax and 3 card support where game is excellent or more often only 2 spades. Furthermore partner may be light for his 3rd seat opener.

#9 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 15:44

Thanks all for your answers. The argument was actually with the opps who said I shoukd always signoff at 2S. I replied NT would probably fare better considering she could have a doubleton in a min hand as she didnt let 1S, in which case 1NT is probably safer with my 10 points. Reading your comments make me feel better!

As a PM I used 2C to decide between 2S and 2NT (which is stupid I admit, the worst contract on earth). I chickened out and passed her 2S response (max with 3) and made 10 facing a not too fitting AKx Qxxxx Kx Qxx with everything on side for an avg+.

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 09:58

View Postapollo1201, on 2015-April-20, 15:44, said:

Thanks all for your answers. The argument was actually with the opps who said I shoukd always signoff at 2S. I replied NT would probably fare better considering she could have a doubleton in a min hand as she didnt let 1S, in which case 1NT is probably safer with my 10 points. Reading your comments make me feel better!

As a PM I used 2C to decide between 2S and 2NT (which is stupid I admit, the worst contract on earth). I chickened out and passed her 2S response (max with 3) and made 10 facing a not too fitting AKx Qxxxx Kx Qxx with everything on side for an avg+.

I was one of those that wanted to search for game but with those 2 unsupported queens I would not consider your partner to have a max:)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users