BBO Discussion Forums: Winning a Regional? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Winning a Regional?

#1 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-April-19, 14:36

The Victoria Regional has been underway all week. The attendance is very disappointing, but one player has done pretty well so far. Doug Fraser, one of Canada's leading master point holders, has won all 5 Regional Pair games, Tuesday through yesterday.

He won the first 4 with his wife, Sandra Fraser, who is a fine player in her own right, and then yesterday he played with me in the Open. We held on to win, which made me the most relieved player in the event:)

I don't recall ever hearing of anyone winning 5 Regional events in a row, all at the same tournament.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#2 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-19, 14:42

Reminds me of Bobby Fischer's sweep of the 1963-64 U.S. chess championship, winning all 11 games. The director congratulated runner-up Larry Evans on winning the tournament and Fischer on "winning the exhibition."
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#3 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-19, 14:48

View Postmikeh, on 2015-April-19, 14:36, said:

The Victoria Regional has been underway all week. The attendance is very disappointing, but one player has done pretty well so far. Doug Fraser, one of Canada's leading master point holders, has won all 5 Regional Pair games, Tuesday through yesterday.

He won the first 4 with his wife, Sandra Fraser, who is a fine player in her own right, and then yesterday he played with me in the Open. We held on to win, which made me the most relieved player in the event:)

I don't recall ever hearing of anyone winning 5 Regional events in a row, all at the same tournament.

5 pair games is very hard and impressive, never heard of that. I have heard of 4 pair games before (Kent Mignocchi, sry for the butchered spelling). The traditional way to sweep with 5 events is to win the 3 knockouts, the swiss, and a morning event which I'm sure has happened numerous times by Meck/passell etc.

Was there a sunday swiss at this tournament? Maybe he can win 6 events in a row :)
The artist formerly known as jlall

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 11:39

View Postmikeh, on 2015-April-19, 14:36, said:

We held on to win, which made me the most relieved player in the event:)
FRA "reviled". I don't think that's too incorrect a reading :-) Congratulations, anyway!

That is impressive, especially pair games!
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-April-20, 12:03

5 events at one regional - impressive!

I like to think that I have the record for the quickest 3 victories at a regional. About 20 years ago, at a regional in Cherry Hill, NJ, my team won the morning KO which started on Wednesday and concluded on Saturday at noon. With the same partner, I won the Flight A pairs which began at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday. Then, on Sunday, with a different partner and different teammates, I won the Flight A Swiss Teams. The Sunday Swiss Teams concluded at about 6:30 p.m.

So, between noon on Saturday and 6:30 p.m. on Sunday I won three events.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users