BBO Discussion Forums: your call after neg double showing minors - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

your call after neg double showing minors

Poll: your call after neg double showing minors (21 member(s) have cast votes)

your call?

1. 4D (8 votes [38.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

2. 5D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3H (9 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

4. 4H (3 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

5. other (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is online   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-19, 06:41

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-19, 07:16

Playing standardish methods I think I'd bid 3 then 4.

#3 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-April-19, 07:45

3H. I need to keep 3NT in the picture.

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-April-19, 07:56

View Postmr1303, on 2015-April-19, 07:45, said:

I guess it would help to know whether we are playing MPs or IMPs... in the latter case I do believe I would pull 3NT to 4.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-April-19, 08:02

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-April-19, 06:41, said:

IMO 4 = 10, 3 = 9, 5 = 7, 4 = 3. A jump to the four-level in accords with your slam aspirations and describes your hand well.

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-April-19, 09:39

View Postmr1303, on 2015-April-19, 07:45, said:

Might depend on your agreement what 2N first time means in this sequence, I think a lot of the time you want to be in 3N partner will not have doubled.

#7 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-19, 18:13

I would not be willing to play in 3N for better or for worse. 3H then 4D "feels" like a better way to bid the hand but I'm not sure why, just in general I think 4D sounds more like extreme shape/concentration and 3H then 4D sounds more like a strong hand. But I cannot say I have an agreement about the difference in 3H>4D compared to 4D.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#8 User is online   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-19, 19:26

For those choosing 4, what bid should partner use to find out if you have a heart control?

If you bid 3 followed by 4, should that promise heart control or just show a good hand?

#9 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-April-19, 20:24

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-April-19, 18:13, said:

I would not be willing to play in 3N for better or for worse. 3H then 4D "feels" like a better way to bid the hand but I'm not sure why, just in general I think 4D sounds more like extreme shape/concentration and 3H then 4D sounds more like a strong hand. But I cannot say I have an agreement about the difference in 3H>4D compared to 4D.

I don't have an agreement either, but I'd feel a lot better about driving to slam if partner happens to skip 3N. If I start with 4, I don't have a clue about what kind of heart duplication is across.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#10 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-20, 10:33

3H followed by 4D/(or maybe 4H).

I think this shows serious slam interest and invites partner to bid 4H (kickback).

For me a jump to 4D would be consistent with [AKQxx --- QTxxxx xx] or similar - big distribution rather than slam interest.

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-April-20, 10:43

Put me in with the 3 followed by 4. If Justin doesn't have any agreement in his partnerships, as to this or an immediate 4, then it will be no surprise to learn that few do :D

To me, 4 sounds weaker, while 3 then (if possible) 4 is a powerful slam try, which is what I have. Note that if partner has AQxx in diamonds, the finesse is much better than 50% on the auction.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2015-April-20, 21:40

Surprised to see 4 MIA. That's my choice. Splinter.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#13 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 01:14

View PostSteveMoe, on 2015-April-20, 21:40, said:

Surprised to see 4 MIA. That's my choice. Splinter.

Auto splinter in spades?
The artist formerly known as jlall

#14 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 02:10

3d
no problem yet

slam is possible
---

3d not an option?

again I choose 3d as slam option.

come on guys....3d slam open.
----

I open
pard x
I bid new suit

this Is not weak./
--

with crap I do not open or rebid major
I limit my opener

#15 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 04:00

View Postmike777, on 2015-April-21, 02:10, said:

3d
no problem yet

slam is possible
---

3d not an option?

----

I open
pard x
I bid new suit

this Is not weak./
--

I limit my opener

3 is weak.

I mean, what would you bid on:

Axxxx
xx
AKJx
xx

If you bid 2, no one will understand or sympathise. Partners double indicates the minors so we bid 3, "limiting our hand". And if we have a strong hand, we simply make a strong bid.

#16 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 08:00

View Postmike777, on 2015-April-21, 02:10, said:

3d
no problem yet

slam is possible
---

3d not an option?

----

I open
pard x
I bid new suit

this Is not weak./
--

I limit my opener

The analysis is sort of correct but dia is NOT a new suit. Responder has already implied dia and a 3d bid is taking a mere preference with a sort of min hand and nothing better to do. 3d does not even guarantee dia support for ex you hold KJxxx xxx AKx Qx. What can you do besides bid 3d over the x?

#17 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 08:06

4h splinter

Yes indeed it may be possible for 4h to be a self splinter for spades but that makes no difference because the spade suit needs to be no loser and opener can correct any minor to spades. It is a ton more flexible to assume there is a club fit (opener can correct to dia/spa if needed) and go from there. Opener also had a 3s (forcing) bid available if they had doubts about the spade suit.

#18 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-April-21, 11:41

4 is insane. I'd like to be kind, but a splinter made before and without agreeing trump is truly insane.

Just how the heck is partner going to be able to work out wtf is going on? When and at what level are we planning on trying to find diamonds?

Say he bids 4 now. I think most would agree that this is suggesting we play in spades, but I don't think it matters.

We now bid 5. What is this?

Do we hold AKQxxxx x AJx Qx or are we showing diamonds? If so, how good are our diamonds?

It is a cardinal rule of cue-bidding or splintering that the partnership knows what suit is trump. Splintering is often a way to establish that, and is a very powerful tool precisely because it conveys a lot of information: information that partner will use to guide his or her decision-making. It is batshit crazy to splinter then try to set trump later.

Moreover, and this really is redundant. wtf is wrong with a simple cuebid then diamonds? What is it that makes that space-saving, information sharing strategy inferior to the master-mind call of splintering and then making partner work out that we hold 5 diamonds, with zero room to investigate whether our hands mesh for slam, grand slam, or game?

4 can be used as a splinter, but it has to set trump at the same time, and by necessary implication it shows long, very good, spades. That hand ain't this hand.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#19 User is online   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 12:12

Why does 4 have to be spades? Can't it be used to say "I have heart splinter and big fit for one of your minors", with the long very good spades hands bidding 3 followed by 4 instead? Or maybe 3 if it's forcing (should it be assumed forcing without discussion?)

Moreover, and this really is redundant. wtf is wrong with a simple cuebid then diamonds? What is it that makes that space-saving, information sharing strategy inferior to the master-mind call of splintering and then making partner work out that we hold 5 diamonds, with zero room to investigate whether our hands mesh for slam, grand slam, or game?

To me, the main questions are:
Does 3 followed by 4 promise heart control? If it doesn't, what does one bid with say AKQxx xx AJxxx K or similar? If it does, over 4, how does responder proceed, if cue bidding 4 shows heart control, how do you ask for heart control instead?

Resolving these issues to me is a possible justification for using 4 as spl for one of the minors.

#20 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2015-April-21, 12:55

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-April-21, 12:12, said:

Why does 4 have to be spades? Can't it be used to say "I have heart splinter and big fit for one of your minors", with the long very good spades hands bidding 3 followed by 4 instead? Or maybe 3 if it's forcing (should it be assumed forcing without discussion?)

To me, the main questions are:
Does 3 followed by 4 promise heart control? If it doesn't, what does one bid with say AKQxx xx AJxxx K or similar? If it does, over 4, how does responder proceed, if cue bidding 4 shows heart control, how do you ask for heart control instead?

Resolving these issues to me is a possible justification for using 4 as spl for one of the minors.

There are ways of handling the problem you identify, but to explicate them here would require long post. I can say that life is far easier on these auctions if, after we have 4-level minor suit agreement, we don't use keycard.....use 4N as a forward-going hand with no cue available. Along with LTCC, life works out pretty well.

More importantly, even if I were to concede that, in the absence of special agreements, the 3 then 4 sequence can lead to ambiguity, which I think is fair, that is not at all saying that the solution is to use 4 as some sort of 3-way splinter, trumps to be announced later!

Any problem with the heart suit pales in comparison to the problems that arise after a splinter...yes...on a good day all can work out well, but on a bad day one creates insoluble problems.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users