BBO Discussion Forums: your call after neg double showing minors - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

your call after neg double showing minors

Poll: your call after neg double showing minors (21 member(s) have cast votes)

your call?

1. 4D (8 votes [38.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

2. 5D (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3H (9 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

4. 4H (3 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

5. other (1 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-21, 13:22

View Postmikeh, on 2015-April-21, 12:55, said:

There are ways of handling the problem you identify, but to explicate them here would require long post. I can say that life is far easier on these auctions if, after we have 4-level minor suit agreement, we don't use keycard.....use 4N as a forward-going hand with no cue available. Along with LTCC, life works out pretty well.

More importantly, even if I were to concede that, in the absence of special agreements, the 3 then 4 sequence can lead to ambiguity, which I think is fair, that is not at all saying that the solution is to use 4 as some sort of 3-way splinter, trumps to be announced later!

Any problem with the heart suit pales in comparison to the problems that arise after a splinter...yes...on a good day all can work out well, but on a bad day one creates insoluble problems.

I wasn't proposing it as 3-way splinter, more 2-way splinter. But I think even 3-way splinter could work in principle. Suppose:
1. Responder bid 4 with wastage/bad hand for slam. Obv opener can then just pass/correct to trump suit?
2. With good hand for slam, responder could accept using six-keycard (both minors) responses or something like that (presumably SKQ aren't relevant since opener will be looking at them with the spade auto-spl). Opener could then place contract.
You would lose cue specificity, responder being able to show an ace/K in one suit rather than another. Maybe grand bidding would suffer some, but to me the decision between game/small slam is way more important & frequent than small vs. grand.

What "insoluble problems" did you have in mind?

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 15:56

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-April-21, 13:22, said:

What "insoluble problems" did you have in mind?

He can start listing, but I doubt he can finish any time this year.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-21, 16:49

View PostMrAce, on 2015-April-21, 15:56, said:

He can start listing, but I doubt he can finish any time this year.

I'd be satisfied with one insoluble problem.

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-April-21, 20:02

View PostStephen Tu, on 2015-April-21, 16:49, said:

I'd be satisfied with one insoluble problem.

Oh you need just one?

"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-22, 00:39

?? That's an entirely different auction. I'm not saying splinters in general without suit agreed, I'm talking about my original auction specifically. For your auction it would be totally silly to play that since you have many more lower sequences available, and only one person has begun describing shape at all, there's no guarantee of any sort of fit if responder has minors. On my auction, the double hand is better defined, and there are multiple other options to show spade only hands, so opener can splinter only with hands where he knows which suit he ultimately wants to select, and just needs some help judging how high to go.

#26 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-April-22, 07:23

Sry my bad then. I thought the auction I gave was in discussion.

#27 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-April-23, 17:10

I think 3H and then 4D (if partner bids 3NT) is more like a 6-4 in the pointed suits; 3H was looking for spade support. An immediate 4D is (at least) 5-5 and shows more certainty about strain. That's why I picked it over the slower route.

#28 User is offline   MinorKid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Physics<br>Play pool<br><br>Studying Precision System

Posted 2015-April-26, 05:00

It is better than 4 as most of the chance partner would had bid 5 over your 4.

After 3:
If he bid 5 then pass.

If part bid 4 now you can launch RKC redwood or blackwood.

If he bid 3NT or 4 you can pull 4, hope he launch RKC redwood or blackwood himself.

If he bid 3, then raise .

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users