• You cannot reply to this topic

A matchpoint lead

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-April-19, 06:32

MP pairs, opps bid 1-2-4, and you are on lead with

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2015-April-19, 07:44

I lead a club with this hand. Yes, sometimes it lets it through.

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-April-19, 07:45

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-April-19, 06:32, said:

MP pairs, opps bid 1-2-4, and you are on lead with

IMO = 10, A = 9, = 8, = 7. Not long ago, I would have led a , for a quick conclusion: Death or Glory! Thanks to the wisdom of BBO, Paul Hackett, and David Bird, I've learnt: Passivity pays, particularly at pairs.

#4 User is online   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-19, 10:33

Hi,

the choices are hearts or club, heart being passive, club
being active.

Given the auction, they will more often stretching than not,
so passive may be your best shot, even playing IMPs.

With kind regards
Marlowe

PS: Seeing Nige1 voting ... I see neither spade or diamond
as better than clubs, they are as risky as club, even more,
and less likely to do any good.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-19, 15:06

Wouldn't dream of anything beside a heart. If a lead out of turn means that's prohibited, I'll go for a diamond, which is almost as passive.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#6 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-19, 16:59

Leading a club is absolutely terrible
The artist formerly known as jlall

#7 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-20, 01:21

I already had a rough template for 1S-2S-4S so I ran a really quick double sim or the various leads.

The results are in the format:

Lead - Chance to defeat 4S - Average number of tricks

AS - 25.4% - 10.19
8S - 22.8% - 10.31
5H - 28.0% - 10.14
6D - 28.3% - 10.14
6C - 23.7% - 10.26

Somewhat surprising that a diamond does so well. Also surprising that the red suits do significantly better at IMPs (Roughly 0.5 IMPs/board).

#8 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 03:15

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-April-20, 01:21, said:

Somewhat surprising that a diamond does so well. Also surprising that the red suits do significantly better at IMPs (Roughly 0.5 IMPs/board).

I am not surprised and a diamond was my choice.
There is a lot of prejudice against leading from a jack.
If the 9 would have been a lower card I would choose a heart

Rainer Herrmann

#9 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 08:36

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-April-20, 01:21, said:

Also surprising that the red suits do significantly better at IMPs (Roughly 0.5 IMPs/board).

Why is this surprising? Just because it's imps doesn't mean we have to randomly fire a lead away from a king. I don't know what constraints you set on the 4S bidder but I'm guessing that irl passive does even better than those constraints because a lot of people esp at imps just blast game in this auction rather than make a game try, even if game might be bad giving away that info on a close game hand rather than making them lead and defend blind is often bad.

I don't even understand the point of a club. Let's blow a trick a large portion of the time for some obscure gain, that seems like a sweet start to the defense. And let's be surprised that it blows half an imp a board!

A diamond instead of a heart seems totally reasonable, personally I would just lead a heart though.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-April-20, 09:01

Late to the thread because, for a change, I have been playing bridge :P I probably lead away from Kings as much as anyone, but wouldn't lead a club here. I'd be more tempted if it were K10xx since the 10 offers some chance for a significant payoff when it is right. However, the heart lead seems best.

I rarely lead away from Jxx(x) but possession of the 9 makes the lead more attractive so would get my second choice.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 09:40

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-April-20, 08:36, said:

I don't even understand the point of a club. Let's blow a trick a large portion of the time for some obscure gain, that seems like a sweet start to the defense. And let's be surprised that it blows half an imp a board!

One of the reasons for traditional aggressive leads is because the average bridge player (especially 30 years ago, when standards were lower) can't actually keep count and is apt to unguard the wrong minor under later pressure. This means if they don't establish the club trick early, they might very well end up mistakenly throwing it away.

There is no question that passive defense is more cognitively demanding than active, because it tends to lead to important decisions at trick 8 where you need to remember most of what happened on the first 7 tricks.

This is not an issue for Justin, and hardly an issue for me or most people posting here, but it's something to keep in mind when we work with (lifetime) novices who are unable to keep track of anything beyond the number of trump out (as declarer) and the top card remaining in each suit (and then only if it's an honor) and occasionally have difficulty even with that.

#12 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 09:46

Tbh, I was surprised that you only drop 0.5 IMPs per board for leading a club. IMPs doesn't mean make most aggressive possible lead. I also think that AS scores better in the sim than irl because you have saved declarer a guess sometimes if they are missing JS (and sometimes other cards).
I think I would probably lead a heart, although a diamond could easily be right.

#13 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 10:05

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-April-20, 08:36, said:

Why is this surprising? Just because it's imps doesn't mean we have to randomly fire a lead away from a king. I don't know what constraints you set on the 4S bidder but I'm guessing that irl passive does even better than those constraints because a lot of people esp at imps just blast game in this auction rather than make a game try, even if game might be bad giving away that info on a close game hand rather than making them lead and defend blind is often bad.

I gave the 2S raiser 5-10 HCP, not 5-6 4333. I assumed 1NT on all 14-16 (with a 5M) so included 17+ Semi balanced and ALL 13+ unbalanced in the 4S bid which is probably wider than most would play it.

To qualify, my instinct at either form of scoring would be to lead a heart, with a diamond a fair way behind, however having simmed a few similar hands previously, after 1M 2M 4M, passive leads tend to do better than I would usually expect.

#14 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-April-20, 11:37

Thanks guys, especially Wesley. Yes, I did lead a club and it cost an overtrick immediately. Hopefully I've learned my lesson.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users