• You cannot reply to this topic

3N or 4M

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-18, 15:12

MP, Robodupe, Ver 33

This was mirrored at several tables, for a good score to N/S

At my table, rightly or wrongly I chose 3C over 4th suit. Responder rebid Diamonds (natural), I bid 3N and responder retreated to 4H, for an inferior score.

Notwithstanding the result, I do not think that South's 2N over 4th suit should deflect North from a suit strain.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-April-18, 15:52

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-April-18, 15:12, said:

... rightly or wrongly I chose 3C over 4th suit...

I'd even think that if South bids 2N showing a stopper in diamonds, this increases the likelihood that we belong in a suit because we're likely to have a problem in a black suit. I think you bid correctly, and agree with you that North should bid 3 over both 2N and 3.

#3 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-18, 22:35

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-April-18, 15:12, said:

MP, Robodupe, Ver 33

This was mirrored at several tables, for a good score to N/S

At my table, rightly or wrongly I chose 3C over 4th suit. Responder rebid Diamonds (natural), I bid 3N and responder retreated to 4H, for an inferior score.

Notwithstanding the result, I do not think that South's 2N over 4th suit should deflect North from a suit strain.

The contract could have been a straight out disaster assuming a sensible lead if South had less cover over spades and clubs and KQ diamonds leading to 4 spade losers and ace of heart.

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-19, 00:19

Good topic with sincere attitude.

On the surface it is about 4th suit ,in essence it is about the current Gib system issue.
In my heart I never think the current Gib can dealt with this similar kind of problems well - it needs new bidding system with many of modern bidding approach,for example,walsh ,xyz and MTWS,etc.
In fact the current system had been out of fashion,its idea had been behind the times

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-April-19, 00:34

View Postlycier, on 2015-April-19, 00:19, said:

In fact the current system had been out of fashion,its idea had been behind the times
GIB system may or may not be old fashioned, but I do not think that this was a sensible auction in any decade.

Never mind whether or not 3N makes, or even scores better than a suit (this being MP), once South shows a Diamond guard North should have some slam interest. Investigating slam with a Spade void would require some delicacy, and that I think is one area where GIB is system deficient, but there are more important priorities.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-April-19, 09:23

There was a recent thread mentioning GIB making different decisions based on form of scoring. I wonder whether North would make a different final decision at IMPs than at MP.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users