• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lebensohl over Reverses 2 Spade rebid

#1 User is offline   camilleln 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-17, 23:52

1 : 1 :2 : ?

We play that unless agreeing to hearts with a 3 bid, anything else other than 2 would deny having 5 spades in our lebensohl agreements. Responder shows 8+ hcp. With this agreement 3 would deny having 5 spades.

However, if having 6 clubs and 5 spades would it make more sense for responder to bid 2 or 3 in this auction with 8 hcp? It would be highly suggestive of a 6-5 hand since we can transfer to clubs and bid nt with a balanced hand?
Thank you ....

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-18, 03:06

Yes it makes sense but you will have to bid the spades again since you coud also have had a 4126 with sstrong spades. With shortness in hearts I think it is better to try to make opener declare 3nt since the auction indicates a major suit lead.

But are you sure that 2nt followed by 3nt shows long clubs? I would think that with 4324 you normally take the slow route and that a direct 3nt shows a mild alam try.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-19, 03:13

View Postcamilleln, on 2015-April-17, 23:52, said:

We play that unless agreeing to hearts with a 3 bid, anything else other than 2 would deny having 5 spades in our lebensohl agreements. Responder shows 8+ hcp. With this agreement 3 would deny having 5 spades.

Admittedly I'm not really answering your question, but I think your issues stem from the agreement: "anything else other than 2 would deny having 5 spades." After any positive advance, opener has room to bid 3S and confirm spade support so showing a 5th spade immediately is mostly unnecessary. Using 2S to suggest spades as a potential contract opposite Hx (or even less in a pinch) feels far more valuable.

You might still bid 2S on an appropriate hand with a chunky 5c suit, e.g. [KQT9x x Ax xxxxx], but on a hand like [Jxxxx x Ax KQTxx] or the 5/6 that you're suggesting in the OP, you need to be able to show your clubs right away or you'll never get the chance.

As a final aside, a couple of years ago I switched from a more complex system after reverses to the one line agreement : "After a reverse, first step is artificial and weak, all other bids are natural(ish) and G/F." I was skeptical at first, but it's proved to be extremely effective.

#4 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-19, 03:52

View Postcamilleln, on 2015-April-17, 23:52, said:

However, if having 6 clubs and 5 spades would it make more sense for responder to bid 2 or 3 in this auction with 8 hcp? It would be highly suggestive of a 6-5 hand since we can transfer to clubs and bid nt with a balanced hand?
Thank you ....

with 6clubs and 5s and roughly 8 hcp I have a problem hand

I cannot show this----
----
2s shows 5spades and less than 10
3c=art and gf often 5s and 9+/ or clubs and gf or other gf
2nt=art and weakish

I must make a choice and live with it

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic