Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Those extra ten points

#1 User is offline   kjpod 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-17, 20:44

In one of the pairs events at the Gatlinburg MABC this week, most E-W pairs bid to a spade contract, either game or slam, and quietly made 12 tricks. Seemingly a dull hand, but at a few adventurous tables where West decided to grab for a top board by bidding 6NT, the play became interesting.

South led the queen of hearts, won on the board, and declarer led a club, ducked. Crossing back to dummy with a spade, declarer led another club off the board, and this time North took the ace. (Ducking again would have complicated matters, but I see no reasonable alternative for declarer but to cross back to the board, take a guess in clubs and hope to be able to fall back on the actual line of play if it goes wrong.) North returned a heart, East won and ran spades leaving this five card ending:

9 Q962
Q K3 K9 ...... 8 AT54
T J8 T6

When declarer cashes the last spade (throwing a diamond from hand), North gets the dubious honor of deciding which defender will get squeezed. If North throws a heart, that will expose South to a three-suit squeeze, as a diamond pitch will allow declarer to pick up the diamonds via a finesse later. If North throws a diamond instead, allowing South to throw a heart, this will only put off the deadly moment, as when declarer cashes the king of clubs now North will be caught in a positional squeeze.

As a practical matter, the heart pitch is a slightly better option for North, as it leaves a faint hope that declarer might make a mistake at the end and play for the drop in diamonds instead.

#2 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-20, 10:32

Very nice! This sort of position is really rare.

#3 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-April-23, 19:30

This is one position of guard squeeze. With Cicchelli notation it may be written C(=sq.card)/N(=idle diamond card) 2dr/3drimp(double menace with impasse situation) in diamond, -/1d(=8 of heart), 2f(=K9 of club)/-. (See "Double squeeze tecnique ..)(Lovera)

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-25, 09:41

They would have beat the tar out of me I would have been quietly resting in 6s.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users