Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best line to make this grand?

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-April-17, 09:37

I failed this at the table. The auction is pretty silly, it was an indy. Zero agreements, we stumbled into 7 eventually and now we have to make it:

Lead was 5

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-April-17, 09:59

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-April-17, 09:37, said:

I failed this at the table. The auction is pretty silly, it was an indy. Zero agreements, we stumbled into 7 eventually and now we have to make it:
Lead was 5.
To get the ball rolling, my guess ...
Spoiler

#3 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-April-17, 12:49

I tried to do some rough and ready calculations. I think it to be close between playing for good things to happen in the majors (establish hearts, with a diamond hook as fallback) or just playing on diamonds immediately.

I may well be wrong, but my sense was that the immediate diamond play was slightly the better.

Win the club, play diamond K and low to the A. We may be down now! A bad diamond break sets us immediately, so 31.5% is bad news.

The Q will drop doubleton or stiff some 28% of the time, I estimate and we pull trump and claim.

Of the remaining 40% or so, half the time LHO is short and half of the remainder, LHO has the spade J (all percentages are estimates, not precise figures....give RHO 2 diamonds, and the odds are slightly under 50% that LHO has the spade J).

So if that is correct, playing on diamonds will make about 58% of the time. I think, but am uncertain, that playing for good majors and the diamond fallback is a little less.

Note all assumes that spades behave and I have ignored a stiff spade J, which throws off the vacant space analysis.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-17, 12:53

Spades behave, I just felt I was sloppy and there has to be something better than what I did at the table. I liked this hand a lot, and felt guilty for not playing as superbly as it deserved lol

#5 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-17, 13:57

View Postmikeh, on 2015-April-17, 12:49, said:

I tried to do some rough and ready calculations. I think it to be close between playing for good things to happen in the majors (establish hearts, with a diamond hook as fallback) or just playing on diamonds immediately.

I may well be wrong, but my sense was that the immediate diamond play was slightly the better.

Win the club, play diamond K and low to the A. We may be down now! A bad diamond break sets us immediately, so 31.5% is bad news.

The Q will drop doubleton or stiff some 28% of the time, I estimate and we pull trump and claim.

Of the remaining 40% or so, half the time LHO is short and half of the remainder, LHO has the spade J (all percentages are estimates, not precise figures....give RHO 2 diamonds, and the odds are slightly under 50% that LHO has the spade J).

So if that is correct, playing on diamonds will make about 58% of the time. I think, but am uncertain, that playing for good majors and the diamond fallback is a little less.

Note all assumes that spades behave and I have ignored a stiff spade J, which throws off the vacant space analysis.

I am lost, you mean that 3-3 hearts or diamond finesse is below 58%? EDIT: Misscounted top tricks.

Diamond finesse also has some extra fallback, as we might even make when spades are 0-5 and QJ are doubleton. Also squeeze RHO if he has hearts and 4 diamonds,

#6 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-April-17, 14:41

View PostFluffy, on 2015-April-17, 13:57, said:

Also squeeze RHO if he has hearts and 4 diamonds,

The squeeze on rho adds nothing. If he has 4 diamonds, then either the Q drops under the K (stiff Q on left) or the finesse works in the end game...we only need 1 hook...admittedly, it would have popped up, so technically in this position we are not finessing, but the point is that a red suit squeeze on rho doesn't add to the family of hands on which playing on hearts wins.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#7 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-April-17, 17:06

I think that establish diamonds is easier than hearts (8 vs 7) ruffing one (dia 4-2) with 10 of spade (J onside or toghether longness).

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2015-April-17, 18:59

Arithmetic is not my long suit but, always assuming that s behave, I think the two lines have much the same chance.

LINE 1. Playing for 5 tricks; otherwise taking finesse
probabilities:
01.5 % are 6-0. Hence immediate defeat.
04.0 % LHO has singleton and Jxx. Hence immediate defeat.
05.5 % Immediate defeat.

35.5 % s break 3-3.
03.2 % QJ doubleton.
38.7 % Immediate success in s.

Of the remaining 55.8% when don't break but opponents don't ruff.
05.7 % Defender has Q singleton.
13.5 % RHO has Qx.
20.4 % RHO has Qxx.
05.0 % RHO has Qxxx and control.
01.0 % RHO has Qxxxx and control.
45.6 %
38.7% + (45.6 % of 55.8%) = about 64%

LINE 2. Playing immediately on s:
05.7 % Defender has Q singleton.
33.9 % RHO has 3s.
13.5 % RHO has Q doubleton.
10.4 % RHO has a small doubleton and J lies favourably.
about 64 %

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-18, 07:22

This was the full hand. The only way i see is get the diamonds right or ruff a diam with the SQ and finesse the SJ, which I thought was too DD to get it right:

#10 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-April-18, 09:18

100 of honors.

#11 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me

Posted 2015-April-18, 09:46

If you play on immediately and LHO follows with Q to the 3rd round, then ruffing with Q and finessing T is quite reasonable.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users