• You cannot reply to this topic

Best auction?

#21 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-19, 04:24

View PostSelfGovern, on 2015-April-17, 22:00, said:

OK, what is 4!S?
Is there any implication of heart support?
What if, say, your red suits were reversed and you held -, Kxxx, Kx, AKQJ8xx? Would you bid something besides 4!S, or bid differently after the 4!S call?

I don't think that 4!S implies heart support, it just shows serious slam interest in a shapely hand (which must imply long clubs). If you do have heart support, you can always correct to hearts later (or bid 5NT as 'pick a slam').

I think a double of 3!S would suggest a strong balanced hand (perhaps 18-19 balanced or similar) that was unwilling to bid 3NT.

I don't think there's much difference between the slam potential of this hand and [void - Kxxx - Kx - AKQJ8xx] - i'm happy with 4S on both of them.

#22 User is offline   waldorf1 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-19, 18:41

Everybody seems quite optimistic about this hand. Yes, Kx of hearts is a good holding opposite a negative double of spades, but what about the Kxxx of diamonds?
Do you expect partner to cover four losers? Even if you can get to dummy to lead a diamond up, that is only ten tricks if the Ace is onside, and it rates to be with the overcaller, behind you.
For playing in clubs, I think a free bid of 4C is sufficient to describe this hand. But there is another possibility -- a double. Partner may well have a spade stack and leave it in. A third possibility is 4N, showing both minors, with emphasis on clubs. I'm not sure which of these three choices is the best, but I think that all of them are better than unilaterally deciding that we can make something at the five-level, and then figuring out what it is.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users