Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can you make this rank slam? Auction: we plead the 5th amendment

#1 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-15, 21:01

6NT South Edit: if you find the problem unpalatable, pretend you're in 3NT and it's matchpoints.

AQ86
K98
K9865

Q73
AKQ532
A3

♣4 led after an I-have-stuff tank and some questions from LHO.
(The diamonds are 3-3 and the K is onside).

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-April-16, 09:16

You don't seem to be attracting answers, and it probably isn't because the problem is too hard, but because it is really not a good problem.

Nobody in their right mind would be in 6N, given that 3N is not exactly cold.

In addition, the solution requires a very improbable lie of the cards, at least if the solution is as I think it to be.

Spoiler

'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-16, 10:42

There is at least one more solution, again not very likely.
Spoiler

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-April-16, 11:03

View Postwanoff, on 2015-April-16, 10:42, said:

There is at least one more solution, again not very likely.
Spoiler

the OP made it very clear that we were to place LHO with the heart A :D Otherwise I agree....and of course we can always decide to play for one or other of the opps to hold Ax in hearts.....simply early on lead through that hand and then duck a heart around on the way back. Not that anyone would choose that line :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-16, 11:29

View Postmikeh, on 2015-April-16, 11:03, said:

the OP made it very clear that we were to place LHO with the heart A :D Otherwise I agree....and of course we can always decide to play for one or other of the opps to hold Ax in hearts.....simply early on lead through that hand and then duck a heart around on the way back. Not that anyone would choose that line :D

I read it as the tank that often precedes a Potter lead.
For those unfamiliar with this type of lead, it's the 4th best lead and originated in Birmingham UK, though the method is probably played quite widely.

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-17, 05:14

Math question: Once we place K on west, isn't it better to play west for 5-2 than 2-4?

#7 User is offline   zenbiddist 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-18, 02:57

View Postmikeh, on 2015-April-16, 11:03, said:

True, at the table my LHO gave the impression from her questions, pauses and intensity that she had the major-suit stuff. I played low in dummy at trick one and RHO played the T - now the club lead looks nothingy and aimed at not giving anything away, so probably RHO has three+ clubs and three diamonds. If you presume LHO has the A, there's no legitimate way to get LHO in spades and clubs, is there, because dummy pitches first? So don't you have to now play for LHO to be long in spades like Fluffy said? If so, how would you play? Is it right to sneak a heart trick from LHO then cash all the minors? I'm wondering if there's another legitimate line - that's why I haven't shown the full deal yet - interested in strong players' analysis. My partner certainly overbid and I should have bid 6 not 6NT, but considering I was there, I think it's a cool hand

#8 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-18, 04:20

View Postzenbiddist, on 2015-April-18, 02:57, said:

True, at the table my LHO gave the impression from her questions, pauses and intensity that she had the major-suit stuff. I played low in dummy at trick one and RHO played the T - now the club lead looks nothingy and aimed at not giving anything away, so probably RHO has three+ clubs and three diamonds. If you presume LHO has the A, there's no legitimate way to get LHO in spades and clubs, is there, because dummy pitches first? So don't you have to now play for LHO to be long in spades like Fluffy said? If so, how would you play? Is it right to sneak a heart trick from LHO then cash all the minors? I'm wondering if there's another legitimate line - that's why I haven't shown the full deal yet - interested in strong players' analysis. My partner certainly overbid and I should have bid 6 not 6NT, but considering I was there, I think it's a cool hand

Fluffy posed 5-2 (spades/clubs inc KS) as being more likely than 2-4. I'm not sure but probably, however 5S-(C any) must be more likely than 2-4. So lets consider what may happen if W has 5S.
Say W holds A you could play a heart to the K, cash K and run diamonds. West will be squeezed in the majors.
There are also extra chances if the K is taken by the A. If E has 5H it looks like the double squeeze will work. Granted E can take out the K to kill that, but then there will be a club/major simple squeeze against one of them.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users