BBO Discussion Forums: Issues with Bidding by Robots in ACBL tournaments - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Issues with Bidding by Robots in ACBL tournaments Hopefully this input will identify bugs that can be fixed.

#1 User is offline   ar100 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-15, 14:19

I am creating this discussion group to discuss issues that we find with Robot play and biding in BBO's robot tournaments. As BBO describes, robots are designed to make good plays and sometimes bad plays, just like we all do. Having played in robot tournaments, I can say that I quite agree with this statement. Robots are very decent bridge players. However, sometimes Robots consistently make plays that are not what would be expected of an average (or better) tournament bridge player. The purpose of this discussion group is to point out some flaws that perhaps BBO programmers may want to look at and fix. I invite all, including BBO admin staff to comment here.

I kick off this discussion by pointing out one such problem that I have encountered on a consistent basis. You open the biding 1m, LHO overcalls, 1M, your partner, the Robot, makes a negative double. You don't have support for OM (the other major) nor the stopper in M, but have five card in your m, so you rebid it. Your partner, the Robot bids the other minor. For example,

You, South, deal, and hold Ax,xxx AQxxx,Kxx and open 1D-(1S)-X-(P); 2D-(p)-3C-(p)-?

In normal standard bidding, this would show 6+ in clubs and less than three, probably only one diamond. In fact when hover the mouse over 3C bid by the Robot, it shows < 3 diamonds, 4+ clubs and <11 HCPs etc. 4+ C is discomforting to you; this bidding should show more than five clubs, but you pass. At least you have 3 card support. You are surprised when the dummy comes down with only four clubs, and three diamonds. So we are playing in a 4-3 fit at three level, having rejected a known 5-3 fit at two level. This is below par for otherwise decent play shown by Robots.

Robots have done this consistently, so I think they are programmed to bid like this.

What do you think?

Atul

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-April-15, 14:22

We already have an entire forum devoted to this subject: GIB Robot Discussion.

You can also report specific hands directly from the BBO web application. When you review a hand, use Export->Robot Report.

I'm closing this thread as off-topic here.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users