• You cannot reply to this topic

Shell Game

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-15, 14:16

My link

IMPS, ACBL robot individual

A while back in a virtually identical sequence I raised 2NT directly to 3NT. Wrong! 4 of North's major suit, in which we had a 5-3 fit, rolled home, while 3NT failed. Twice since then I have stopped off on the way to 3NT to show 3-card support for North's major. Wrong! In each instance, North, with only 4 cards in the major, supported my minor at the 4-level, getting beyond the only making game.

I'm curious as to why North does not maintain discipline, which requires that it chose between 3NT and 4 of its major once South has implicitly accepted North's invitation.

#2 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2015-April-20, 15:22

Who is supposedly controlling the hearts so North would be certain 3NT is still better/safe once partner shows 6+ minor and 3 major cards.

What if South is

Axx
x
KQxxxx
(K/Q)xx

then 3NT would be -1 if hearts are only 5-5 in opponents or -2 or worse?

#3 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-20, 19:34

If north is worried about heart stopper, I propose that he bid 3 instead of 2nt.

#4 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-21, 17:37

I agree with Mr. Tu's point. And to respond to Georgi's hypothetical hand, I wouldn't accept the invitation with that hand. It has neither a stop nor A.

Based on the announced strength of the 2 hands, 5 is not likely to make. North-South's attention should be focused on getting to 3NT or 4M. North invited the former with its 2NT bid and should not get cold feet because South shows 3 cards in his major. If the development of the sequence gives North acrophobia, it should raise to 3 instead of bidding 2NT as Mr. Tu suggests.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users