Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weak NT 2/1 ACBL

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-13, 21:35

I am under the impression that opening 1NT with less than 10 points is not legal in ACBL.

Can someone tell me where it states that you need 10 pts?

Thank you

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-13, 22:33

It is not illegal. However, if you ever open ant with less than 10 HCP you will be presumed to have an agreement to do so. If you are found to have agreed any conventional responses you will be ruled to have an illegal agreement. See law 40 and item 7 under disallowed on the GCC.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-14, 04:01

In any case a strong NT works much better than a weak or mini NT with 2/1 GF.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-April-14, 04:33

View PostVampyr, on 2015-April-14, 04:01, said:

Why?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-April-14, 06:03

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-April-13, 22:33, said:

It is not illegal. However, if you ever open ant with less than 10 HCP you will be presumed to have an agreement to do so. If you are found to have agreed any conventional responses you will be ruled to have an illegal agreement. See law 40 and item 7 under disallowed on the GCC.

I think that there is a distinction made between upgrading an otherwise appropriate hand and making a clear psyche.

Suppose you get dealt

AT
T98
KQT98
T98

and chose to open a 10-12 HCP 1NT because your hand evaluation says that this is equivalent to a 10 count.
You're going to get read the riot act and ruled against

Alternatively, suppose that Zia gets dealt

xx
QJT
KQ873
xxx

and chooses to open a 10-12 HCP NT in white on red in third seat (as he does repeatedly)
This is treated as a psyche and deemed acceptable.

It is left as an exercise to the reader to determine whether the fact that Zia made this bid has a material impact on the decision.
Alderaan delenda est

#6 User is offline   dicklont 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2015-April-14, 09:51

View PostVampyr, on 2015-April-14, 04:01, said:

I really like the 12-14 NT in a 2/1 system.
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)

#7 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-April-17, 12:13

View Posthrothgar, on 2015-April-14, 06:03, said:

I think that there is a distinction made between upgrading an otherwise appropriate hand and making a clear psyche.

Suppose you get dealt

AT
T98
KQT98
T98

and chose to open a 10-12 HCP 1NT because your hand evaluation says that this is equivalent to a 10 count.
You're going to get read the riot act and ruled against

Alternatively, suppose that Zia gets dealt

xx
QJT
KQ873
xxx

and chooses to open a 10-12 HCP NT in white on red in third seat (as he does repeatedly)
This is treated as a psyche and deemed acceptable.

It is left as an exercise to the reader to determine whether the fact that Zia made this bid has a material impact on the decision.

If Zia does this repeatedly then this is a CPU and not a psyche. if his partner 'fields' it then it should be dealt with appropriately.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-April-17, 12:52

View Postweejonnie, on 2015-April-17, 12:13, said:

If Zia does this repeatedly then this is a CPU and not a psyche.

Incorrect.

Zia makes this psyche repeatedly with the same partner. (One of the beauties of online VuGraph is that we now have a record of such things)
The has forced the ACBL to admit that their claims that this establishes a CPU are, in fact, not in accordance with the laws and aren't enforced in "serious" play.
Its important to understand that the ACBL gives out lots of guidance that isn't at all kosher.

(I found this knowledge useful this weekend when I psyches a 11-13 HCP NT in third seat, white on red in an ACBL event which lead to a director call when the opponents went into conniptions)
Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-April-17, 13:13

View Posthrothgar, on 2015-April-17, 12:52, said:

Incorrect.

Zia makes this psyche repeatedly with the same partner. (One of the beauties of online VuGraph is that we now have a record of such things)
The has forced the ACBL to admit that their claims that this establishes a CPU are, in fact, not in accordance with the laws and aren't enforced in "serious" play.
Its important to understand that the ACBL gives out lots of guidance that isn't at all kosher.

(I found this knowledge useful this weekend when I psyches a 11-13 HCP NT in third seat, white on red in an ACBL event which lead to a director call when the opponents went into conniptions)

Where and when did the ACBL admit this?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users