• You cannot reply to this topic

Matchpoints insanity 5 for 1 free

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-13, 16:42

Hand 1 (nv/nv):

Strong club system, 1D is 11-15 0+. 1NT opener would have been 12-14. Actions so far are probably dubious, but what now? Double would be penalty

Hand 2 (vul/vul):

Hand 3 (nv/vul):

2H is natural (not guaranteeing a 2nd suit)

Hand 4 (vul/vul):

Hand 5 (nv/vul):

Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-13, 16:57

pass
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-13, 17:10

I chicken out on the first four.

Dbl on the last. Also tempting on the second
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-April-13, 17:22

1: Pass, you've done enough.
2: Pass due to vulnerability, would double nonvulnerable.
3: Whatever you have as an invitational bid here.
4: I complete the transfer. Wait, what do you mean, 2 is natural?
5: Take the money by passing. Rates to be a good matchpoint result already, no need to give opps another chance to find a better contract.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-April-13, 18:07

1. Pass. Sure, we 'might' have a diamond partial but we might well have nothing at all. A lot depends on the inferences available from East's pass of 2. However, West's pull to 3 suggests that he has 5 spades and 3 clubs (with a constructive hand), and was afraid his partner might play him for Jxxxxxx or so in spades, and have passed 2 with shortness. If so, then opener could have 4 spades, and now we may have no playable fit. Btw, having a gap between the top of your 1N and the bottom of your 1, especially a 1 point gap, seems sub-optimal. May I suggest 14-16 1N and 11-13 1N rebids?

2. A double is attractive, especially at mps, since partner will often be able to convert, but it is top-bottom bridge, and I am not a fan of rolling the dice even at mps.

3. 4. Style counts.....as someone who has played a lot of weak notrump, I love opps who make wide-ranging natural overcalls....my belief is that the range for overcalling a weak 1n should be the same, if not stronger, then that over a strong 1N.

4. Pass. When we double a weak 1N, and partner pulls.....he is WEAK. A useful rule of thumb is that he should be passing with all 5 counts, and a lot of 4 counts. Once in a while they can make, but let them work it out. This is an area where I am happy to roll the dice, because in my experience, the opps often get it wrong.

5. Pass. I think doubling 2 for takeout was insane, fwiw. As the auction suggests, it may well be that one of your sides best fits was in hearts....but don't worry....LHO was never passing 2 anyway, not if he is bidding 2N (!) over your value-showing takeout double of hearts.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-13, 19:17

1. I would have doubled 2, and feel strongly about it, so I'll abstain
2. Double
3. Pass assuming double of 1n would have shown values
4. Pass
5. Pass, don't think I would have doubled 2, but it seems to have worked out great

#7 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-13, 19:21

1. Pass. I would've preferred to act on the first round.

2. Double. Very happy if partner to converts it, less happy if they bids but double feels like the long term winning action.

3. Pass, but depends a bit on style here.

4. Pass (not close).

5. Pass. Will be happy to go positive!

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-April-13, 19:26

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-April-13, 16:42, said:

Weak-ish field. Playing a strong club system with a 12-14 NT. What would you do on these hands?

Hand 1.
OK, my actions may be questionable up to this point, but what now? Double now would be penalty

IMO, Pass = 10, 3 = 7.
Action is fraught when you know so little about partner's hand.

Hand 2.
2H is natural (not guaranteeing a 2nd suit)

IMO, Double (Take-out) = 10, Pass = 9, 3 = 6.
You have support for the round suits and some defence.

Hand 3.

IMO, 2N (relay) = 10, 4 = 9, Pass = 7.
When an oppoent opens 1N and partner overcalls (artificially or naturally), then I like
2N = REL F1, asking for clarification.

Hand 4.

IMO, Pass = 10, 3N = 9, 2N = 8, 3 = 7.
If you decide to bid, then you might as well bid 3N -- it might make and is slightly less likely to be doubled.

Hand 5.

IMO, 3N = 10, 3 = 9, Pass = 7.
When I first answered, I misread this, Now IMO, Pass = 10, Double = 9
Double is superficially attractive but the danger is that hearts seem to lie well for opponents

This post has been edited by nige1: 2015-April-15, 17:07

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-14, 02:17

Nigel, on hand 5 your partner has a weak NT, you have an 8 count, why are you thinking about 3N ?

Hand 3 depends on your overcalling style as to what to do.

1/2/4 are passes

5 I'm very tempted to X

#10 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-15, 02:10

I don't understand pass on hand 3. Our hand is good and our partner overcalled at the 2 level. I would bid 2N (whatever it means, natural NF would be cool but I don't play that lol). I think mikeh is closer than the passers but I think letting partner out w/r seems right (and I agree with his general thesis that overcalling is like a normal 2 level overcall, just for me a w/r normal 2 level overcall could be pretty light with a good 6 card suit so I wouldn't force to game).

Hands 1 and 4 are obv passes imo.

Hand 5 is pretty lol, I mean I doubt you can go wrong either Xing or passing, given that they are red I would pass and just accept my good board but double seems fine also (what are they running to?). Seems like a spot where we are just getting a top so w/e.

Hand 2 I think is a good problem, my first reaction was to insta X, then I decided I should pass since partner couldn't X 2N or anything and we are r/r, now I'm back to X. My main reasoning is ace empty sixth is a really good holding if partner is short in spades (whether he bids a suit or passes). I really am not sure what's right so I go with mecks rule (When you're not sure what's right, go with the more aggressive action). I do have a good defensive hand if he passes which I think is not unlikely.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#11 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-15, 02:24

Hand 3 I agree strongly that partner should be up to strength overcalling a weak NT. 2NT for me, which I expect to be F1.

#12 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-15, 03:58

p, p, 2NT, p, p

ahydra

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-April-15, 04:04

Hand 3: Partner suffers from matchpoint insanity also. LHO has 12-14 and partner might have doubles with 15, so I think the chance that we go down in 3/4 is bigger than that we bid and make 4. P could have KJxxxx and very little else.

Yes I know you say that overcalls against a weak NT should be constructive, I just don't believe it, at least not nonvul at matchpoints.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-15, 04:15

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-April-15, 04:04, said:

Hand 3: Partner suffers from matchpoint insanity also. LHO has 12-14 and partner might have doubles with 15, so I think the chance that we go down in 3/4 is bigger than that we bid and make 4. P could have KJxxxx and very little else.

Yes I know you say that overcalls against a weak NT should be constructive, I just don't believe it, at least not nonvul at matchpoints.

So you think your partner should overcall on a 4 count and out? Do you just pass as his partner with every hand cuz omg LHO has 12-14! I don't understand overcalling with a 4 count, if you make 2H your partner will bid something or the opps will. Like with this hand, it is very unlikely RHO will have passed if partner has a 4 count. Maybe it is superior to not bid with a 4 count since partner will probably overbid, or our opp will bid and they will know how to play the hand better.

#15 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-15, 04:18

I agree partner might bid with an 8 count with a good 6 card suit though. That is how I would bid over 1S w/r. They also might have more. We have quite a good hand and might have a game. Risking the 3 level seems pretty standard. Would you bid over 1S 2H p ? with this hand w/r at MP? I don't see why that should be any different, except that LHO has a stronger range in that auction. Bidding over 1N (12-14) with KJxxxx and out but passing over 1S seems pretty silly to me. Why should it be so different?

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-April-15, 04:26

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-April-15, 04:18, said:

I agree partner might bid with an 8 count with a good 6 card suit though. That is how I would bid over 1S w/r. They also might have more. We have quite a good hand and might have a game. Risking the 3 level seems pretty standard. Would you bid over 1S 2H p ? with this hand w/r at MP? I don't see why that should be any different, except that LHO has a stronger range in that auction. Bidding over 1N (12-14) with KJxxxx and out but passing over 1S seems pretty silly to me. Why should it be so different?

Yeah good point, probably there is a case for bidding more aggresively against 1 than against 1NT because the 1 opening is less well defined so more vulnerable to obstruction. At least that is the case when they play 4 card majors. If they play 5-card majors maybe the obstructive effect is similar.

OTOH the 1NT opening, even if weak, promises some defensive values while with a 1 opening sometimes they have KQJxxx-x-QJxx-Qx. So I dunno. I am probably not really consistent when I require about 11 points against a suit opening and about 7 against a weak notrump opening.

Btw I wouldn't normally overcall on a 4-count. By "very little else" I meant something like xxx-KJxxxx-QJx-x.

#17 User is offline   bb116 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-15, 04:59

1=Pass
2=Pass
3=Pass
4=Pass
5=X if MP

#18 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2015-April-15, 07:48

Pass, Pass, 2NT, 2NT, X.

Some of the answers I've read have made my answers 'shake'. For example, on the second hand doubling is interesting, although finding a fit a the three level in case partner is not punishing them can get ugly. On the 4th hand I think I have way too much to just pass. And on the last one I was just answering from mmy gut feeling: usually people covering for partner before a double has turned to penalty are not good enough to make their contract.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#19 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-15, 08:57

On the 4th hand I think I have way too much to just pass. And on the last one I was just answering from mmy gut feeling: usually people covering for partner before a double has turned to penalty are not good enough to make their contract.

I think if we had anything close to game on the 4th hand, then partner would have passed the X rather than run.

I could understand an X on the final hand though - essentially gambling on top (200) or bottom (whatever 2NX= is), but probably more likely to win than lose.

ahydra

#20 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-15, 09:11

I suspect some of those who pass on the second one might not have noticed that the NT was weak, or are perhaps not familiar with defending against a weak NT.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users