• You cannot reply to this topic

Bug

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-11, 06:55

MP, Instant, ver 33

Focus on North's final pass.

This is such a simple auction that I initially assumed that this would be a new bug introduced in the version 33 upgrade. But when I checked the other tables, which played an earlier version of GIB, the auction was replicated at several tables.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-19, 01:10

This problem should be noticed.
After 2 ,it is better to jump bid 3 for invitation.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-April-19, 01:34

View Postlycier, on 2015-April-19, 01:10, said:

I hadn't thought of that. And having thought of it I don't have a strong opinion on the relative merits of 2N and 3D.

On another hand, 2N may be a more clear-cut call. In which case I do have a strong opinion that responder should give preference to opener's first suit when holding 4 card preference. It has to be better to play in a 9 card fit than a 5 card fit.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-April-19, 09:11

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-April-19, 01:34, said:

View Postlycier, on 2015-April-19, 01:10, said:

I hadn't thought of that. And having thought of it I don't have a strong opinion on the relative merits of 2N and 3D.

Maybe North thought it was worth showing KQJx in the unbid suit to invite game in NT.

But, after 3, it's not at all clear to me what North should bid. 3 seems inadequate since he has more than a minimal game invite.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-April-19, 09:41

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-April-19, 09:11, said:

after 3, it's not at all clear to me what North should bid. 3 seems inadequate since he has more than a minimal game invite.
I agree. But then none of the bids in the auction were forcing, by either partner. It seems a bit of a stretch for North now to get excited (where he was not before) purely on the basis of South's fifth Club (having already promised four). Then again, perhaps he had underbid earlier.

#6 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-April-19, 09:58

Yup. Not easy. I don't know what's right. But it clearly is not passing 3.

#7 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-20, 02:33

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-April-19, 09:11, said:

Maybe North thought it was worth showing KQJx in the unbid suit to invite game in NT.

But, after 3, it's not at all clear to me what North should bid. 3 seems inadequate since he has more than a minimal game invite.

Here is my example hand:

Look at 3 - jump 3 is invitation in deed.

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-April-20, 12:11

View Postlycier, on 2015-April-20, 02:33, said:

Look at 3 - jump 3 is invitation in deed.
This hand is in one way distinguished from the start of the thread because here you do not have a good guard in the fourth suit that would increase the temptation to try 2N

That said, with 4333 shape some would probably opine that Jxx in the fourth suit is enough for 2N.

#9 User is offline   georgi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2015-April-20, 16:39

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-April-11, 06:55, said:

MP, Instant, ver 33

Focus on North's final pass.

This is such a simple auction that I initially assumed that this would be a new bug introduced in the version 33 upgrade. But when I checked the other tables, which played an earlier version of GIB, the auction was replicated at several tables.

Thanks for reporting.

The reason is 2NT is supposedly pass/correct. Unless invitee has something unexpected to reveal.
It's not expected North ( inviter ) to have such nice fit in opening not shown up to now, so he would support second suit and if opener decides to extend this suit would find better fit.

Anyway, here the bug caused inviter to "forget" to correct back.

Will be fixed in v34.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users