• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Higher Court for Bridgelaws

#1 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-11, 04:42

It would be nice if WBF and ACBL and all bridgeorganisations that follow the Laws from 1997 had some kind of Higher Court you could turn to if you have disagreements in your club about ruling. Several times I have been arguing with the TD:s in my club and even if I tell them I have over 100 posts in BBO that thinks same as me they just snort, calling them amateurs who cant interpret the law. So if the club belonged to one of those orgnisations they had to adjust to that ruling and not using any homemade interpretations. I think this can be a problem in many clubs and that many players dont know where to go for support especially if the Committee in the club dont dare to argue with their TD.

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-11, 05:48

http://www.bridgebas...age__mode__show

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-April-11, 07:04

As long as we're asking for impossible things, I want a pony...
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-April-11, 07:11

I think a Swedish appeal committee is plenty. Maybe small federations who don't have enough top-level tds themselves could join forces and make an international appeal committee, for example one for west africa and one for central asia etc, but Sweden should have the resources.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   sanst 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-11, 07:22

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-April-11, 04:42, said:

It would be nice if WBF and ACBL and all bridgeorganisations that follow the Laws from 1997 had some kind of Higher Court you could turn to if you have disagreements in your club about ruling.

You weem to forget that is's just a game, not a matter of life and death. The role of the TD is the same of that as an umpire of referee in other sports: they decide, the players have to accept that decision, maybe after some polite protest. You shouldn't argue with a TD, but you could give the reason why you think that the situation is different from what the TD seems to think. In bridge there is the possibility for an appeal, but the AC has a limited power to overturn the TD's decision. In some countries there is even the possibility for a further appeal. That's far more than in other sports, where the referee's decision is final, whatever the consequences. And in professional sports, these can be enormous.
Is this question based on your experiences with the TD, who didn't apply Law 25A right? If so, do as you have been advised and find another club. Btw, the current laws are the 2007 edition.
Joost

#6 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2015-April-11, 08:05

Why would you be using 1997's book when there was a new one in 2007?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#7 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-April-11, 08:16

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-April-11, 04:42, said:

It would be nice if WBF and ACBL and all bridgeorganisations that follow the Laws from 1997 had some kind of Higher Court you could turn to if you have disagreements in your club about ruling. Several times I have been arguing with the TD:s in my club and even if I tell them I have over 100 posts in BBO that thinks same as me they just snort, calling them amateurs who cant interpret the law. So if the club belonged to one of those orgnisations they had to adjust to that ruling and not using any homemade interpretations. I think this can be a problem in many clubs and that many players dont know where to go for support especially if the Committee in the club dont dare to argue with their TD.

They are already supposed to have - see Law 93C.

(Whether they do have is of course a different question.)

#8 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-11, 09:57

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-April-11, 07:11, said:

I think a Swedish appeal committee is plenty. Maybe small federations who don't have enough top-level tds themselves could join forces and make an international appeal committee, for example one for west africa and one for central asia etc, but Sweden should have the resources.

Helene, if it was in Sweden this problem wouldnt even happen. But wintertime I live in Chiangmai and the TD here is one of the founders of the club and have done a lot of good work starting this club. He shall have credit for that but regarding ruling he can never admit he is wrong and when I try to reason with him he just refuse to listen. That unmature selfrightousness can be very annoying especially as Im the only one here that dares to protest. Someone also suggested I shud play in another club but there is only this one.

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-April-11, 10:34

ok, I think you just have to accept that what is being played here isn't really contract bridge but some similar cardgame call chinangmai bridge and try to cope with that as well as you can.

In a club a played in in Mumbai they had the rule that a BIT always bared partner, even if there was no LA to bidding. Another funny rule was that if you made a mechanical error you couldn't restore it but had to tell opps what you wanted to bid. I think it is futile to fight against that. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-11, 11:01

Its a wise advice Helen and I shall try but it sucks when you know u are right and an ignorant person asks u to shut up as he thinks he knows much better. In a situation like that u wished u had a written document that explained the correct ruling.

#11 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-11, 12:49

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-April-11, 10:34, said:

In a club a played in in Mumbai they had the rule that a BIT always bared partner,

Could get a bit risqué...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-11, 14:04

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-April-11, 09:57, said:

Helene, if it was in Sweden this problem wouldnt even happen. But wintertime I live in Chiangmai and the TD here is one of the founders of the club and have done a lot of good work starting this club. He shall have credit for that but regarding ruling he can never admit he is wrong and when I try to reason with him he just refuse to listen. That unmature selfrightousness can be very annoying especially as Im the only one here that dares to protest. Someone also suggested I shud play in another club but there is only this one.

This is a matter of adapting to the culture. But you need to realize that this is not exclusive for Chiangmai.

I have a very similar experience in ... Sweden. And not just with some club somewhere, no with the LK (Lagkommissionen, the Swedish national Law and Ethics Committee). When I was playing there, they wrote a bidding box regulation that said that once a call had left the bidding box, it couldn't be corrected, even if the call was unintended. This regulation was a clear violation of Law 25A. (And 80B2f says that organizers are not allowed to write regulations that are in conflict with the Laws.)

I pointed that out once or twice but the response was basically "This is Sweden, we don't care".

It happens everywhere, not just in Chiangmai, or Sweden, also in the Netherlands, and everywhere else. The thing is that you will only notice it when you come from outside. And, of course, you are absolutely correct that they are doing things wrong. But it is their wrong way, and they are happy with it. Let them. Just like I let the Swedes be happy with their wrong bidding box regulation, since they seemed to be happy with it.

It's the price you pay for living in another culture.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#13 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-11, 14:42

View PostVampyr, on 2015-April-11, 12:49, said:

Could get a bit risqué...

I was wondering what Helene was playing, but if a BIT bares partner we can't call it bridge.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#14 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-April-11, 19:48

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-April-11, 14:42, said:

I was wondering what Helene was playing, but if a BIT bares partner we can't call it bridge.

Since there's Strip Poker, why couldn't there be Strip Bridge?

#15 User is offline   UdcaDenny 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-11, 20:52

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-April-11, 14:04, said:

This is a matter of adapting to the culture. But you need to realize that this is not exclusive for Chiangmai.

I have a very similar experience in ... Sweden. And not just with some club somewhere, no with the LK (Lagkommissionen, the Swedish national Law and Ethics Committee). When I was playing there, they wrote a bidding box regulation that said that once a call had left the bidding box, it couldn't be corrected, even if the call was unintended. This regulation was a clear violation of Law 25A. (And 80B2f says that organizers are not allowed to write regulations that are in conflict with the Laws.)

I pointed that out once or twice but the response was basically "This is Sweden, we don't care".

It happens everywhere, not just in Chiangmai, or Sweden, also in the Netherlands, and everywhere else. The thing is that you will only notice it when you come from outside. And, of course, you are absolutely correct that they are doing things wrong. But it is their wrong way, and they are happy with it. Let them. Just like I let the Swedes be happy with their wrong bidding box regulation, since they seemed to be happy with it.

It's the price you pay for living in another culture.

Rik

Rik, did you put the bid on the table and let go of it or did you hold it in your hand ? I have many times discovered I pulled the wrong bid before putting it on the table and could always change it, like intending ro bid 2seeing I had 2in my hand. Also quickly pulling it back while still holding it on the table.

#16 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-12, 02:43

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-April-11, 20:52, said:

Rik, did you put the bid on the table and let go of it or did you hold it in your hand ? I have many times discovered I pulled the wrong bid before putting it on the table and could always change it, like intending ro bid 2seeing I had 2in my hand. Also quickly pulling it back while still holding it on the table.

My post was not about this particular complaint about bridge in Sweden. I have always loved the bridge there and many other things about the country too. Who knows? I might go back there when I retire. It was about the fact that local devations from the Laws can be found everywhere, even at home, you just don't see them because you are used to them. This bidding box regulation is merely one of many examples.

But to answer your question: It is not about what I did, it is about what the regulation says (or said, since I don't know whether it has been changed). And it doesn't matter whether the bid is on the table or "just leaving the box". I myself have always been very careful. :) But when you are a TD in Sweden (like I was) you would like to follow the Laws. When the LK then writes regulations that are conflicting with the Laws and you need to rule at the table, you have a problem: Do you rule according to the regulation or according to the Laws?

According to the Swedish regulation, it was 100% clear that a call that was on the table could not be changed. Then you should have looked better. Law 25A is equally clear that you are allowed to change an unintended call for the call that you did intend. There are three conditions:
  • the call you made was not your intended call
  • your partner hasn't called yet
  • you do change it without pause for thought

So, where law 25A puts the "deadline for change" at the point where your partner has called, the Swedish LK decided to ignore that and put the deadline half a round of bidding earlier. They knew it was against the Laws, but they didn't care.

Rik

#17 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-April-12, 06:19

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-April-12, 02:43, said:

My post was not about this particular complaint about bridge in Sweden. I have always loved the bridge there and many other things about the country too. Who knows? I might go back there when I retire. It was about the fact that local devations from the Laws can be found everywhere, even at home, you just don't see them because you are used to them. This bidding box regulation is merely one of many examples.

But to answer your question: It is not about what I did, it is about what the regulation says (or said, since I don't know whether it has been changed). And it doesn't matter whether the bid is on the table or "just leaving the box". I myself have always been very careful. :) But when you are a TD in Sweden (like I was) you would like to follow the Laws. When the LK then writes regulations that are conflicting with the Laws and you need to rule at the table, you have a problem: Do you rule according to the regulation or according to the Laws?

According to the Swedish regulation, it was 100% clear that a call that was on the table could not be changed. Then you should have looked better. Law 25A is equally clear that you are allowed to change an unintended call for the call that you did intend. There are three conditions:
  • the call you made was not your intended call
  • your partner hasn't called yet
  • you do change it without pause for thought

So, where law 25A puts the "deadline for change" at the point where your partner has called, the Swedish LK decided to ignore that and put the deadline half a round of bidding earlier. They knew it was against the Laws, but they didn't care.

Rik

I feel surprised but must first of all state that I am in no position to question or discuss the Swedish regulation on this point.

However, my experience is that we generally take care to avoid discrepancies between the Scandinavian countries in our understandings of laws and regulations .

And in Norway the understanding of Law 25A is that a possible pause for thought shall be considered from the moment the player became aware of his mistake regardless of the manner in which he became aware of it and regardless of the time possibly elapsed since the call was legally made.

So the fact that a bid card was already exposed on the table in front of the player is in itself irrelevant.

#18 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-12, 11:18

We are quite a few years further now. There is a new LK (with Calle Ragnarsson). It would surprise me if the bidding box regulation would still be like it was. (Though UDCADenny's reaction implies that in Sweden it is still not allowed to change your unintended call once it hits the table.)

Edit:
I found the regulation and it seems like it always was... except that an article has been added: it still emphasizes that you need to look carefully and ascertain that you pull the correct bidding card. The added article says that you are allowed to change a bid that was the result of a misspull. (I could argue that a brain fart where you mean to bid clubs, but pull the other black suit is still unintended in the sense of Law 25A, while it is not a misspull according to the bid box regulation, but that is a small difference.)

Rik

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-12, 11:59

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-April-12, 11:18, said:

I could argue that a brain fart where you mean to bid clubs, but pull the other black suit is still unintended in the sense of Law 25A

Well, you could do, although of course you would be wrong.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#20 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-April-13, 02:50

View PostUdcaDenny, on 2015-April-11, 09:57, said:

The TD in question may well suffer from the Dunning-Kruger effect.

If you're incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent. The skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is. —David Dunning

So, I fear you are fighting a losing battle in trying to persuade this founder that he is wrong. A well-known bridge club in London plays bridge according to its own rules - you just let someone correct an insufficient bid or correct a revoke. It seems to be popular, although it is not a member of the EBU.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users