BBO Discussion Forums: misheard explanation leading to misinformation - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

misheard explanation leading to misinformation Northern Ireland

#1 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-09, 18:45

Having to make this on my tablet while my laptop is doing factory reset so can't use handviewer.

North: QJ63 J KJT75 865
East: A84 K86532 6 A43
South: 52 AQT7 83 KQT72
West: KT97 94 AQ942 J9

All vul, MPs scoring, south dealing

1-2-P-3
P-P-4 -AP

1 was alerted as forcing 11-15 with diamonds, or clubs, or diamonds and clubs, or balanced.
2 was slowly alerted and after North enquired before bidding 4 it was explained as Michaels.

4 went 3 off for -300.

At the end of the hand, West says 2 is natural over an artificial 1 opener, while East said 1 was more or less natural as 2 of the 3 options showed diamonds (having not heard the second option) after which West corrected him on what was explained.

How do you rule?
Wayne Somerville

#2 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-09, 21:53

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-April-09, 18:45, said:

Having to make this on my tablet while my laptop is doing factory reset so can't use handviewer.

North: QJ63 J KJT75 865
East: A84 K86532 6 A43
South: 52 AQT7 83 KQT72
West: KT97 94 AQ942 J9

All vul, MPs scoring, south dealing

1-2-P-3
P-P-4 -AP

1 was alerted as forcing 11-15 with diamonds, or clubs, or diamonds and clubs, or balanced.
2 was slowly alerted and after North enquired before bidding 4 it was explained as Michaels.

4 went 3 off for -300.

At the end of the hand, West says 2 is natural over an artificial 1 opener, while East said 1 was more or less natural as 2 of the 3 options showed diamonds (having not heard the second option) after which West corrected him on what was explained.

How do you rule?

(Made on my tablet.)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-10, 03:22

In my opinion there is MI so the question is if 4 is a SEWoG.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-10, 07:43

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-April-10, 03:22, said:

In my opinion there is MI so the question is if 4 is a SEWoG.

My understanding of SEWoG is that 4D is related to the MI, so we don't apply the SEWoG rule here.

There seems to be MI, and East's mere 3H bid tells me he was hedging --- not really believing his own explanation.

Will go with roll back to 3H, seven of hearts lead and two down, then try to find a reason for a PP against East -- which Ed will correctly tell me I can't find written in the laws.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-10, 10:04

The 3 bid is so bizarre in light of the explanation (as is the pass of 4) I want to award 4 doubled -800 but since I probably can't I'll settle for a PP but feel hard done by if I can't do that either.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-10, 13:30

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-April-10, 07:43, said:

My understanding of SEWoG is that 4D is related to the MI, so we don't apply the SEWoG rule here.

That only counts if 4D is a SE, but not if it is WoG.

We shouldn't really use SEWoG. Instead we should use SENRttIWoG, but I guess SEWoG is easier to pronounce.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-10, 13:53

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-April-10, 13:30, said:

That only counts if 4D is a SE, but not if it is WoG.

We shouldn't really use SEWoG. Instead we should use SENRttIWoG, but I guess SEWoG is easier to pronounce.

Rik

O.K. Thanks. Then, since I consider 4D a serious error related to the MI, but not a WOG with 5-card support for partner's opening --- which is more likely to actually have diamonds on the given auction and explanation. I still vote not to foist the table result upon N/S.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users