BBO Discussion Forums: Stopping play in the middle of the hand - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stopping play in the middle of the hand

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-April-09, 09:21

View PostVampyr, on 2015-April-09, 07:26, said:

Is this a quiz? I think that the circumstance would be that the director or the players discover that one pair has already played the board. Or, rarely, if the board is being played for the last time and it is discovered to have been fouled between being played at the previous table and arriving at our heroes' table. Or if one of the pairs is being immediately ejected from the event.

The main point being that while there may be reasons to cancel a board in progress, none of them involve the clock. Despire the oft-quoted "bridge is a timed event", there's nothing in the Laws supporting this. The only valid reasons for cancelling the board would be because it's clear that the result would have to be thrown out anyway, so there's no point in continuing.

#22 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-09, 12:13

View Postbarmar, on 2015-April-09, 09:21, said:

The main point being that while there may be reasons to cancel a board in progress, none of them involve the clock. Despire the oft-quoted "bridge is a timed event", there's nothing in the Laws supporting this. The only valid reasons for cancelling the board would be because it's clear that the result would have to be thrown out anyway, so there's no point in continuing.

Precisely!

#23 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-April-09, 12:23

View Postchrism, on 2015-April-09, 07:15, said:

I disagree. Law 8B1 defines what constitutes the end of the round; it does not address the circumstances that may result in "a progression of players". If the TD is allowed to cancel a board in mid-flight, there will be a progression of players and the next round will begin for that table; if not, the round will continue until play of the board is completed. I do not think that "the round continues" is the necessarily equivalent to "play of the current board continues". Indeed the law could have said, and did not: "if any table has not completed play by that time, the round continues for that table until play is completed there". It also does not say "if any table has not completed play of a board by that time, the round continues for that table until play of that board is complete", so reading 8B1 as restrictive the TD's powers to curtail would also appear to prohibit requiring a late play for a scheduled board not started when the round is called.

I do not see any law that explicitly permits or prohibits the curtailment by the TD of a board in progress, except insofar as it comes under 81C1 "... to ensure the orderly progress of the game".

You would be much better off if you read the complete law that you find relevant and not just what suits you:

How do you understand:
but if any table has not completed play by that time, the round continues for that table until there has been a progression of players.

Du you believe that the round ends at that table because there is a progression of players because the Director cancels the Board in progress?

While Law 8B1 explicitly states that the round continues for that table with no authority for the Director to curtail that board Law 8B2 explicitly implies that the Director has such authority in order to postpone play on a Board till later.

#24 User is offline   toucanish 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-10, 11:18

Power cut. Session ends immediately because no-one can see the cards well enough to play.

(We had one last night - very annoying)

Roy

#25 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-April-10, 13:14

View Posttoucanish, on 2015-April-10, 11:18, said:

Power cut. Session ends immediately because no-one can see the cards well enough to play.

(We had one last night - very annoying)

Roy

Right,

I had a similar situation in an event a month ago: Fire alarm forced us to evacuate the premises. I ordered all boards to be suspended immediately and all cards left on the tables in such condition (face down and orderly) that play could be continued later if possible.

The alarm was lifted after some 15 or 20 minutes and we were indeed able to resume the event as if nothing had happened!

Moral: Why create a problem when not neccessary?

(I don't think this had been possible had we played Mitchell or Howell movements, but as most players know - we always play barometer movements in Norway if at all possible.)

#26 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-April-13, 16:17

Well, we had that one time when East dropped dead of a heart attack. That board got cancelled - in fact the entire next round got cancelled, as it took 20 or so minutes for the doctor on site, and then the paramedics, to restore a heartbeat and get her out of the playing area.

Yes, it was extremely lucky that an ER surgeon just happened to be playing two tables away, and that he put 2 and 6 together quickly enough that she was only dead for 3 minutes.

True story, and I'm sure no bridge player is surprised: First question after she regained consciousness in the hospital a mountain range away was "did we make 3?"

But yes, I assume we need force majeure or act of God to cancel a board that was properly started. I know others have different opinions.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#27 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-April-15, 10:22

View Postmycroft, on 2015-April-13, 16:17, said:

But yes, I assume we need force majeure or act of God to cancel a board that was properly started. I know others have different opinions.

Is that the same Bridge God we pray to when trying to drop a kingleton, and curse when we're dealt a Yarborough?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users