• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are you serious? Missed slam

#1 User is offline   ibraves 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-April-07, 10:38

IMPs, Swiss Teams 7 board matches converted to VPs

Your options are 3N as a serious slam try or a non serious Q at the 4 level (or I guess you could sign off :blink: )
Unfortunately you dont know whether partner is balanced or has a GF hand with a club suit. Bidding 4S over 2S would have shown a good club suit, spades and no controls in the red suits

I chose to make non serious slam try figuring despite my undisclosed length I only had 1 KC. I was a little worried partner might overvalue cards in the minors (that weren't aces). Thoughts?
Spoiler

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-April-07, 11:45

Spoiler

"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-07, 11:53

Am I missing something ? slam appears to be a fraction with the odds but no more.

#4 User is offline   ibraves 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-April-07, 12:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-April-07, 11:53, said:

Am I missing something ? slam appears to be a fraction with the odds but no more.

Somewhere between 55 and 60% no? Excellent is probably an overbid but they bid it at the other table :(

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-07, 12:14

I am with eagles, 4 cue seems mandatory.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-April-07, 12:23

View Postibraves, on 2015-April-07, 12:14, said:

Somewhere between 55 and 60% no? Excellent is probably an overbid but they bid it at the other table :(

Spoiler

#7 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-April-07, 12:30

View Postibraves, on 2015-April-07, 12:14, said:

Same goes for us.

We had an appalling auction: 1-(P)-1-(X)-4. Feel free to ATB.

EDIT: also wondering how much worse slam is at our table as heart position rates to be unfavourable. Of course we will probably not diagnose the 6-3 fit anyway, so I don't think it will mKe a difference in the auction.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-07, 15:34

I must say that I don't get this problem at all.

What do you want to achieve by cuebidding, whether serious or non-serious? Do you think that you can tell partner that you have a 5=6=1=1 hand by cuebidding? So, you bid 3NT or 4 and partner bids 4. How is it helping you to know that partner has the ace or king of diamonds?

What you want to know is how many keycards partner has. If he has three, you bid a small slam If he has four, you bid a grand. If he has two, you stop in 5. So, this is a simple hand for Blackwood.

Can it go wrong? Sure! Partner might have
Kxxx
xx
KQJ
KQJx
and you will be down in 5 (or 7 :) ).

But is cuebidding going to work a lot better when partner has a hand like that? I don't see it.

So, go with the odds and assume that partner will have at least 2 keycards. Take the bull by the horns, bid 4NT and place the contract. Buy partner a beer if he has only one keycard.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#9 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-07, 16:18

Notice that partner has the worst possible heart holding and the slam is reasonable -- a doubleton heart would be much better, while making the Q into the Q makes it laydown (excluding an opening lead or trick 2 ruff--too unlikely to worry about). I would gamble 4NT here. But if I had made a non serious cue, I would have expected partner to show interest, then surely 4NT by me.

#10 User is offline   nate_m 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-April-07, 17:33

View Posteagles123, on 2015-April-07, 11:45, said:

Spoiler

View Postbillw55, on 2015-April-07, 12:14, said:

I am with eagles, 4 cue seems mandatory.

What? No. Look, you have a flat 13 count with a dubious club queen and your partner has denied holding substantial extra values. It doesn't matter that you are control rich, you sign off because slam is really unlikely to be very good. If you bid 4D here, partner holding a hand like Qxxx AKxxx Kx Kx, which is a rather big hand for a nonserious 3NT, will keycard and bid the slam. It will have no play.

Not signing off with the North hand opposite an advertised minimum is totally insane.

On the actual hand not being in slam is fine. You are off an ace and a key queen. It's true we'd rather be there than not, but such is life. If anybody has to bid more, it is the 6-5 hand with all the tricks.

#11 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-07, 21:33

I don't mind the auction at your table (given your methods) .

North is close to offering 4D over 4c, but 3 small hearts is extremely unappealing.

FWIW, I prefer different method after 1M 2C*, where 2S shows slight extras (ie this hand).

#12 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-08, 02:51

View Postibraves, on 2015-April-07, 10:38, said:

IMPs, Swiss Teams 7 board matches converted to VPs

Your options are 3N as a serious slam try or a non serious Q at the 4 level
I chose to make non serious slam try figuring despite my undisclosed length I only had 1 KC.

View Posteagles123, on 2015-April-07, 11:45, said:

why the heck does partner sign off over 4c. You've made a slam try and he has A diamond and AK of trumps

If my partner makes a non serious slam try I would sign off as well with a flat hand, no reserves for a game forcing sequence, and three little hearts.
If opener does not want to ask for key cards with 4NT he should make a serious slam try, but I readily admit I am no expert on this serious / non serious nonsense.
If I make a slam try I am always serious.

Rainer Herrmann

#13 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-08, 07:58

I know this hand :) Our opps bid 1H-1S; 4S-p, with the following discussion (paraphrased)

South: OMG partner, you have two aces you should bid on!
North: OMG partner, you have 6-5, you should SPL rather than 4S!
South: But I only have an 11-count... (actually for some reason he first stated he had a nine-count, until his partner counted it out for him!)

As others have said, I don't think we want to be in the slam at IMPs, so no problem right? :) North showed his hand already, and South is hampered slightly by the methods - he can't show whether he has this or some generic 4522. No blame.

ahydra

#14 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-08, 08:15

I wouldn't bid keycard right away in case we happen to be off 3. But the hand seems easily worth a serious slam try IMO. If partner gives me one cue bid then I would bid keycard.

It's sort of random that slam isn't even better than it was, just because partner had three small hearts instead of two. I would definitely want to bid this one.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#15 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-08, 13:15

View Postjdonn, on 2015-April-08, 08:15, said:

I wouldn't bid keycard right away in case we happen to be off 3. But the hand seems easily worth a serious slam try IMO. If partner gives me one cue bid then I would bid keycard.

What kind of hand can partner have that wouldn't cue after your serious 3NT? If we are off three keycards then partner will cuebid a king.
If partner will always cuebid, what difference does it then make whether you keycard immediately or after 3NT-cue?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#16 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-08, 15:23

tough hand I could see many missing this roughly 54% slam at the table.
It sounds like many did miss it.

#17 User is offline   ibraves 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-April-08, 15:35

View Postjdonn, on 2015-April-08, 08:15, said:

It's sort of random that slam isn't even better than it was, just because partner had three small hearts instead of two. I would definitely want to bid this one.

Do you not play that 3n demands a cue?

#18 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-April-08, 22:52

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-April-08, 13:15, said:

What kind of hand can partner have that wouldn't cue after your serious 3NT?

The kind of hand that doesn't have a minor-suit control, for example AKxx xxx QJx QJx
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#19 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-09, 02:36

View Postgnasher, on 2015-April-08, 22:52, said:

The kind of hand that doesn't have a minor-suit control, for example AKxx xxx QJx QJx

Would you respond 2 (GF, clubs or balanced) with that hand?

I would bid 1 and aim for 4 (in case partner supports) or 3NT (when he doesn't).

Rik

#20 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-April-10, 15:16

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-April-09, 02:36, said:

Would you respond 2 (GF, clubs or balanced) with that hand?

I would bid 1 and aim for 4 (in case partner supports) or 3NT (when he doesn't).

Rik

I have a systemic way to bid a 4=3=3=3 13-count, and I have a 4=3=3=3 13-count. Why wouldn't I follow the system?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users