• You cannot reply to this topic

silly question

#1 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2015-April-02, 18:29

Long ago at main bridge club BBO, I noticed that are some characters who double your contract and, when they notice you are going to make, they keep claiming till you make a mistake and hit the yes button. I consider that a form of harassment. An I thank god for my enemy list. I remember my partner accepting a bogus claim by declarer when i held the setting ace of trumps.

Now today, my partner was declarer, and he was doubled. He was going to make it, but the opp claimed down one at a tourney, and he misclicked while playing at a tablet.

Teh 'director" said it was his mistake and would make no adjustment. I logged off, and so did the partner. Thing is, this affects the results of others. and it is sad that there is no recourse.

My silly question is this:

If this was a real life game, and a nervous or distracted partner succumbed to a bogus claim, would he have any recourse.

PS. the fact that i missed out on the $0 grand prize does not bother me lol)

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2015-April-02, 21:32

Might belong in law forum, but if there was no way to go down, then the result is changed is my understanding.
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-03, 09:50

From Law 71:

A concession must stand, once made, except that within the Correction Period established under Law 79C the Director shall cancel a concession:
  • if a player conceded a trick his side had, in fact, won; or
  • if a player has conceded a trick that could not be lost by any normal* play of the remaining cards.

The board is rescored with such trick awarded to his side.

There's no way to lose the ace of trumps, for instance, so you can't concede it. However, "normal" includes careless play -- if you could lose a trick by forgetting to draw trumps, you don't get that back.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-April-05, 07:17

If this were a tournament then If they make a invalid claim you are supposed to call the director and have them settle it. play is supposed to stop. This applies weather it is declarer or defender making the claim.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-13, 14:54

Totally offtopic:

Oh there are at least two ways to lose the Ace of trumps (or, more correctly, make a grand slam off the Ace of Trumps). ISTR three back when the question was asked, but can't remember the third ATM.

Just not without an infraction of the Laws.

The two I know of:
Spoiler

My response to invalid claims online is to refuse the claim and immediately make my own. Sometimes I will admit that takes too much time (and they claim again), but there it is as an option. Sometimes, they are totally innocent in their misclaims (even I have forgotten about the ace of trumps in a claim!)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-15, 09:52

View Postmycroft, on 2015-April-13, 14:54, said:

Totally offtopic:

Oh there are at least two ways to lose the Ace of trumps

Yes, I realize that. But as you say, they're irrelevant as far as claims are involved, so I ignored them.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users