#21 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-April-06, 06:53

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-April-05, 13:41, said:

They do have rules, and they do publish them, as here
http://www.acolatbbo...ay/indibids.php

All players in our Indi Tourneys must use the Acol bidding system :
1.Unless a pair (when first arriving at a table) agrees anything different or additional, they will play the whole of the following basic system:

Interesting. . . . depends how that is read . . .
It could be read as . .
1. "Pairs must play Acol or any other system as long as a pair agrees to play another system".
OR
2. "You must play standard basic Acol unless pairs agree to play Acol with variants" e.g. Benji

Except that 1 above would be nonsensical as there is no point in saying you must play Acol if it is followed by 'unless you don't want to'.

#22 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-April-06, 07:42

View Posteuclidz, on 2015-April-06, 06:53, said:

All players in our Indi Tourneys must use the Acol bidding system :
1.Unless a pair (when first arriving at a table) agrees anything different or additional, they will play the whole of the following basic system:

Interesting. . . . depends how that is read . . .
It could be read as . .
1. "Pairs must play Acol or any other system as long as a pair agrees to play another system".
OR
2. "You must play standard basic Acol unless pairs agree to play Acol with variants" e.g. Benji

Except that 1 above would be nonsensical as there is no point in saying you must play Acol if it is followed by 'unless you don't want to'.

It is clear that the meaning is your #1. The point is that the whole of the basic system listed must be played if partner does not wish to play something different.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-April-06, 08:36

My understanding from many chats with the staff over the years is that you have to play Acol in tournies but the type of Acol is open and the interpretation is very wide. It is different in the club itself where you simply need the permission of the opps (in advance) to play something completely different. That said, the tournament rules also state that pairs should state their basic system and carding when arriving at a table but I was once thrown out of a tournament after a pair refused to provide this information even after the TD arrived. In other words, take the tournament rules with a pinch of salt. Needless to say, although I do play in the club (as you (euclidz) no doubt noticed yesterday!) I do not play in nor recommend their tournaments.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#24 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-06, 14:32

15-17pts int 1 club forcing weak 2s dhs

The above is on the profile card of a person playing in the Acol Club. Strong NT is not standard Acol . . . 1 Club forcing, what's that, what system is that?

#25 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-April-06, 14:58

View Posteuclidz, on 2015-April-06, 14:32, said:

1 Club forcing, what's that, what system is that?

Somewhere around 80% of the bridge systems in existence?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#26 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-06, 16:07

View Posteuclidz, on 2015-April-06, 14:32, said:

15-17pts int 1 club forcing weak 2s dhs

The above is on the profile card of a person playing in the Acol Club. Strong NT is not standard Acol . . . 1 Club forcing, what's that, what system is that?
More to the point, what has that got to do with the price of fish?

Players rarely change their profiles, and even more seldom do they do so to just to suit the particular club or pickup partnership of the moment.

And then, those methods that they post in their profiles generally only express a preference.

There is no certainty, at least not from the above, that (s)he only plays in the Acol club.

There is no certainty that what was shown in this profile was the system being played at the table.

As it was not a tourney, and the club in question is otherwise an open/public club, there is nothing to prevent them playing any non-acol system should they so choose, whatever is shown in profile.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#27 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-April-06, 16:15

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-April-06, 14:58, said:

Some of the exceptions are Acol, SA, 2/1GF ...
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#28 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-07, 01:32

1 Forcing (what system is it?)

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-April-06, 14:58, said:

I must have been playing with the others 20% for the last 10 years!

#29 User is offline   euclidz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-07, 01:44

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-April-06, 16:07, said:

More to the point, what has that got to do with the price of fish?
Players rarely change their profiles, and even more seldom do they do so to just to suit the particular club or pickup partnership of the moment.
And then, those methods that they post in their profiles generally only express a preference.
There is no certainty, at least not from the above, that (s)he only plays in the Acol club.

I am new to this site, I would like to enjoy my Bridge and learn in a stress free environment. Bridge players (generally) are not renowned for their patience and tolerance; in my short time in BBO I have witnessed many instances of 'teddies being thrown out of prams.' If it is the case, as you, that I can presume that players in the Acol Club with profiles stating (e.g.) StNT and 1Club forcing, are in fact playing bog standard basic Acol then that's fine. Can I mention your name when she/he bites my head off for opening with a WkNT?

#30 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-07, 03:00

I agree with you that patience and manners are generally in short supply when playing any online game at any site, compared with behaviour in face to face. You will continue to encounter this for as long as you play with unknown partners and opponents. I would not let this put you off playing with unknown partners and opponents, as there are also among them some civilised individuals whom you would otherwise not encounter. You just have to develop a thick hide when dealing with the others and not get upset about it. In time you will develop a database of players to avoid and to attract respectively.

It should not be necessary to make assumptions, when in doubt. It is pretty simple to ask the opponents if they are playing Acol or their profile. Certainly if you open a weak 1N in the Acol club having made no agreements then your partner has no right to get heated just because his or her profile states strong 1N. What if your profile shows weak 1N? Why should your partner assume that their profile takes precedence? It was their choice to sit down in the Acol club to play.

I cannot see that there would be any benefit to your mentioning me in an argument. I have no authority in the Acol club (or anywhere else) . I have no objection, but I doubt that it would be profitable. The other players at the table should back you up, though.

I would add that if you want to play Acol, then doing so in the Acol club is probably a less stressful environment than in the main playing area (and probably also than the relaxed playing area). Just don't expect perfection.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#31 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-April-07, 10:45

In the Acol Club it is indeed assumed that a 1NT opening without discussion is weak. There are a small number of plyers that will open a strong NT without agreeing it first - they tend to be unpopular! The best thing if you are sitting opposite someone with strong NT in their profile is simply to write "English Acol ok p?", "my profile p?" or something else along those lines. If it is a problem then simply move to another table. The majority of players there will play some form of English Acol even if their profile states SA, 2/1 or whatever. Occasionally someone wanders in accidentally though so it is wise to check if you want to avoid accidents.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#32 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-April-08, 15:45

The key with Acol is the concept of limit bids,
2C as the strongest opening bid (with 2D as negative)
Acol 2s showing 8 playing tricks in the suit mentioned - 2D, 2H, 2S (2NT as negative bid)
Acol 3NT (Gambling) based on AKQXXXX in a minor suit and not much else
Acol 4NT - asking for specific Aces

A 1NT response shows 6-9 balanced, 2NT response shows 10-12 balanced and 3NT shows 13 - 15 Balanced.
(1NT may also be 'garbage' - showing some points but not enough to bid at the 2 level)

Similarly 1X: 2X shows 6-9 (and 4 card support usually), 1X: 3X shows 10-12 (and 4 card support)

Obviously many people amend these e.g. Bergen raises, Three weak 2s, Benjamised, Multi, Lucas etc, etc
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#33 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-15, 19:25

According to some people (Max Hardy was one) the "Acol 3NT" and the "Gambling 3NT" openings are two different things. I only lived in England for three years, and I did play Acol there, but I didn't hear about this "Acol 3NT" thing until long after I got back to the states. It's a long running minor like the Gambling 3NT, but with stoppers in, iirc, at least two side sides and about 16+ HCP. Way I learned it, the Gambling 3NT is part of Acol. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#34 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-16, 00:09

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-April-15, 19:25, said:

According to some people (Max Hardy was one) the "Acol 3NT" and the "Gambling 3NT" openings are two different things. I only lived in England for three years, and I did play Acol there, but I didn't hear about this "Acol 3NT" thing until long after I got back to the states. It's a long running minor like the Gambling 3NT, but with stoppers in, iirc, at least two side sides and about 16+ HCP. Way I learned it, the Gambling 3NT is part of Acol. B-)

There was originally in Acol a requirement to have stoppers outside the long suit for a 3NT opener, but this changed some time in the 50s or possibly 60s.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#35 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-April-16, 08:55

View Postgordontd, on 2015-April-16, 00:09, said:

There was originally in Acol a requirement to have stoppers outside the long suit for a 3NT opener, but this changed some time in the 50s or possibly 60s.

There you go. Good to know. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#36 User is offline   The_Badger 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Chess, Film, Literature, Herbal Medicine, Nutrition

Posted 2015-April-16, 20:35

I think a few people on here already know my views on Acol, a system that, like Wei Precision, has "evolved" or to put it bluntly "bastardised" into something vaguely resembling the original system.

To me, and to many more, 5 card major Acol ISN'T true Acol. Yes, once upon a time, Acol used a strong NT and a prepared opening, but as time went on the weak NT was adopted.

But the abiding principle for 50 odd years was bidding 4 major card suits with idea of finding 4-4 fits instead of 5-3 fits. Not to say 5-3 fits weren't established in later rounds of bidding, but opening 1 or 1 could be done with a 4 card suit.

I know, I know, lots of people play an Acol-type system with 5 card majors these days, but wouldn't it be better to call it a SAYC-like system with a weak NT?

I'm sure the likes of Terence Reese and many of the original contributors to the Acol system would be turning in their graves to see what it has become.

#37 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-April-16, 21:17

View PostThe_Badger, on 2015-April-16, 20:35, said:

I know, I know, lots of people play an Acol-type system with 5 card majors these days, but wouldn't it be better to call it a SAYC-like system with a weak NT?

Better, when this would be way more inaccurate? I say, "5-card majors, weak NT, three weak twos". This is shorter than saying "Acol with those things" so why give it a label? Anyway these days the main difference between Acol and SA or 2/1GF is the strength of 2/1 bids. So if pressed, I would say Acol because of the style of 2/1 I play.

In any case Acol has historically had several opening NT ranges including variable, several major-suit opening lengths, and... These days most people play two or more weak twos. Acol Twos are the only treatment that actually sports the Acol name, should we not call a system Acol unless it includes Acol Twos?

EDIT: LOL said much of this already. Completely forgot.

#38 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-April-17, 01:11

In USA

5 card majors and wk nt called eastern scientific for roughly 40+ years
not Acol, not 2/1 game force

Chip Martel won everything playing this style. One of the truly great players.

He notes one of the drawbacks to this style today is lack of new theory over past years.
Fewer players play and discuss it and challenge and improve it.

#39 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-April-17, 01:52

View Postmike777, on 2015-April-17, 01:11, said:

In USA

5 card majors and wk nt called eastern scientific for roughly 40+ years
not Acol, not 2/1 game force

Really? That's not my understanding, so I googled it and the first three references I found all described ES as having a strong NT, which is what I would have expected. My experience is that US players of 5cM & wk NT are likely to describe it as KS (though I know that has rather more detailed and specific agreements).
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#40 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2015-April-17, 02:13

View Postgordontd, on 2015-April-17, 01:52, said:

Really? That's not my understanding, so I googled it and the first three references I found all described ES as having a strong NT, which is what I would have expected. My experience is that US players of 5cM & wk NT are likely to describe it as KS (though I know that has rather more detailed and specific agreements).

hmm you are correct that google says strong nt.

All I can say is not what chip martel taught me and not what we called it in Urbana, granted this was 71

and Chip did not called it KS

in any event trust me chip played 5 card majors and weak nt and won everything.
We did not call it KS or 2/1.

Again the main point in playing weak nt in2015 is lack of theory over the years. Fewer and fewer top class played wk nt so less theory compared to strong nt or strong club.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users